1000 calories or less diet

Options

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Posts like this make me feel two things . . .

1. Really? Are sure its only 1000 calories you are eating?
    I have a friend who complained about not losing weight and eating way under 1200 calories per day. When I scanned her diary, I found that she logged values far less than the actual ones.

Everyone is different though.

Apparently, I'm lying again? I've have only been doing this a week and have been measuring everything out.

I find it funny that some people on here attack me about what I'm eating(my diary is now open to view), but yet their diary isn't open. Not saying you are one of those people. I would love to take a look at other people's diaries just to get an idea on what I should be doing.
    Mine is open, and I'm following a high calorie (BMR/TDEE calculated) plan. Maybe something in there will give you inspiration. I do think your first step should be too properly work out your BMR and TDEE and do some reading on the subject here. 1200 calories a day is only really adequate nutritionally for very short, small people. 1860 sounds a helluva lot more healthy, although I suspect still on the low side for you.

Edit: I don't track Sundays, so just go back a day or two.

I did actually look at yours. To be honest, I shouldn't look at yours. I'm not a man and shouldn't consume as much as you do. I should add that I am 5'6".

Thanks for your advice though, I do appreciate it.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a banana with peanut butter on it would be a great breakfast for you! A banana is around 100 calories and two tbs of peanut butter is 200 calories. Try to aim for 300 calories at the minimum for your breakfast, 400 works even better for me. Then I am good until lunch. I do eat a banana about an hour and half before I go to the gym for added carbs and sugars to help me though my workout.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Why not add higher calorie foods to your diet such as peanut butter, avocados, trail mix, butter /oil in your cooking, etc? Eating 900 calories a day isn't maintainable for the long run.

I learned this slowly but this is the best tool I have learned from switching over from a low calorie diet a few years back. With some planning you can choose higher caloric foods that fill you up and give you those extra few calories needed.
  • todietfor
    todietfor Posts: 48
    Options

I want more veggies and fruit in my diet. This isn't a diet to me. I want a lifestyle change. I mean the list could go on and on..

Dislike: oatmeal, asparagus, brussel sprouts, bitter types of lettuce, nuts of any kind, cereal, tomatoes, milk, and etc....

Like: salsa (would love some ideas for eggs and salsa), chicken, shrimp, cheese, green beans(love, love, love!!), peas, corn, any type of bean, grapes, mexican food, italian food, and the list could go on.

Not a big sweet person. I'm more of a salty type of gal.

Also, everyone keeps mentioning peanut butter, but doesn't that pack on the fat calories? I don't really want that. I do want to stray away from starches. But goodness, I love potatoes.

Well, peanut butter can be dangerous because it is calorie/fat dense. What I have started doing is having it in a snack (with an apple) but only having 1 TBSP instead of two. It is satisfying, and has some good fat in it, but I have moved past just scooping up a big spoonful without measuring. Or a tbsp of peanut butter on toast is good (it gets all creamy and melty!) and then a banana or something for breakfast? It's pretty filling.

Easy veggie snacks: baby carrots, red/green/orange bell peppers, cucumbers. I also like washing/freezing grapes and eating them later..they don't freeze completely but are cold and refreshing and sometimes hit that cold/icy craving.

I also like the mini babybel light cheese wheels. They are 50 cals each and I will typically have a wheel and an apple, or a wheel and some baby carrots or something for a quick snack.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just took a glance at the food diary. Eating one banana for lunch is NOT eating healthy. It's called starving yourself.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    A little peanut butter wouldn't hurt in your diet. You can eat too little fat. If you love potatoes get small ones. Yukon gold or the little finger sized ones. Less starch, more nutrition, more fiber more flavor. Big potatoes are starchier and they invite you to load them up with stuff like butter, sour cream etc. If you hate cereal and love potatoes have some small potatoes for breakfast instead of the cereal. Your just trading carbs. You don't have to eat something for breakfast just because it is traditional.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Why the hell would my body eat my muscles when there's so much yummy, delicious fat for it to digest?
    Because it costs energy to maintain muscle mass, while it costs almost no energy to maintain fat mass. So if your body thinks there aren't enough resources to sustain your bodily organs and your muscle mass, it will start cannibalizing the muscle mass in addition to fat as a fuel source so that it requires fewer calories overall to sustain the body.
  • saraann4
    Options
    Why not add higher calorie foods to your diet such as peanut butter, avocados, trail mix, butter /oil in your cooking, etc? Eating 900 calories a day isn't maintainable for the long run.

I learned this slowly but this is the best tool I have learned from switching over from a low calorie diet a few years back. With some planning you can choose higher caloric foods that fill you up and give you those extra few calories needed.

Love peanut butter. Want to avoid butter.

Hate trail mix and avocados...Any ideas?
  • saraann4
    Options
    A little peanut butter wouldn't hurt in your diet. You can eat too little fat. If you love potatoes get small ones. Yukon gold or the little finger sized ones. Less starch, more nutrition, more fiber more flavor. Big potatoes are starchier and they invite you to load them up with stuff like butter, sour cream etc. If you hate cereal and love potatoes have some small potatoes for breakfast instead of the cereal. Your just trading carbs. You don't have to eat something for breakfast just because it is traditional.

Eating a potato for breakfast just sounds weird. I think my family would look at me crazy too lol.

If I got a small potato, what would you recommend putting on it? I do like the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. Is that OK? How much is too much of that?
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Something I like to put on potatoes is chili(lean turkey meat and kidney beans with some onions is great chili in my opinion) or vinegar. I get the weirdest looks when I say vinegar, but it has no calories and it has a taste. I picked it up from my great-grandmother and I have to say I really enjoy it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Why avoid butter? One of the most heart healthy fats out there.
  • saraann4
    Options
    Just took a glance at the food diary. Eating one banana for lunch is NOT eating healthy. It's called starving yourself.

If you read my previous post, you would have saw that the only reason why I ate only a banana is because we had guests over and I didn't want to eat in front of them because it is Easter. My family is doing it differently this year and not having a dinner/lunch because everyone is watching what they eat. Otherwise, I would have had a veggie burger because I had just gone shopping. Did you look at more than one entry? I thought I did pretty good yesterday. Yes, today, I realize that I haven't had that much to eat, but along with my Lean Cuisine, I plan on adding some more veggies with it.
  • saraann4
    Options
    Something I like to put on potatoes is chili(lean turkey meat and kidney beans with some onions is great chili in my opinion) or vinegar. I get the weirdest looks when I say vinegar, but it has no calories and it has a taste. I picked it up from my great-grandmother and I have to say I really enjoy it.

Do you have a recipe? That sounds really yummy.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I'll try to find it and send it to you via message :)
  • saraann4
    Options
    I'll try to find it and send it to you via message :)

Thanks!! I really appreciate it.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I think what is going on here is you are legitamately trying. Really hard. Just don't be afraid to eat your recommendation. I have been eating the recommended cals since the end of Jan and I have done very well. Watch the levels of what you get from fat etc. The things you worry about...say fat and carbs just try to stay under recommendation. The things you need to work on like protien...just try to get higher numbers in there. Do your best.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just can't wrap my head around eating that little amount of food and successfully losing weight and then keeping it off. When I started MFP, I was given around 1400 calories a day. I managed to stay around that, but then I learned the secret that if I worked out, I got to eat even more. That was the most awesome discovery I ever made, I swear!

Then I started working out more and more and got closer and closer to my goal, so I upped my net calories to 1500. I generally burn 500-700 calories a day, so I get to eat 2000-2200 calories a day. I am in heaven! I get to eat well and have treats, too. Can I do this for the rest of my life? You bet your *kitten*! And I will love every minute of it.

I can't comprehend starving myself any more. I used to do that. I'd lose the weight and then go off my diet and gain it back. Now I know I can eat what I want in moderation, but still enjoy treats like a mixed drink and dessert. Makes me a very happy woman!

I love this! I sometimes plan my workouts around what I want to eat that day. My favorite phrase for when my husband and son suggest we go out to eat is "no workout, no eatout."
  • allwen
    allwen Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow, I am a bit gobsmacked at some of the mean and unhelpful comments to this persons post!!!! Goodness, are we not all on here trying to get healthy and fit again, sometimes after a very long time of eating the unhealthiest of diets. In my experience, encouragement and good sound advice make the world of difference when someone is struggling to 'get it right'.
    I would give the same advice as the more helpful people have done, do what mfp suggests for your weight, choose foods with a slightly higher cal count such as protein powders, nuts, etcc. And may I wish you good luck and good journeying!
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Why avoid butter? One of the most heart healthy fats out there.

Whao there nelly, what? Butter is not a heart healthy fat. And actually any solid fat is bad for you, which is why you should eat it sparingly. Im not advocating cutting it out, and will actually enjoy 1-2 tbsp melted on popcorn every now and then, but it is not heart healthy. Usually, what is a good rule of thumb is plant based fats (think olive oil, nut butters) are good, which animal fats (think things like butter, cream, full fat milk, etc) are not so good.

All fats are not alike. Some types of fats are essential for good health.
    Other fats can raise blood cholesterol levels or have other negative effects on cardiovascular health. Eating too much fat of all types can add excess calories and lead to weight gain. This handout will help you sort out the “good” (heart healthy) fats from the “bad” (unhealthy) fats.*
    HEART HEALTHY (“GOOD”) FATS
    The fats in this category are unsaturated fats (the term unsaturated refers to the chemical structure of these fats). Unsaturated fats are found in plant foods or in fish that eat microscopic plants. One type of polyunsaturated fat -- omega-3 fatty acids -- has been found to have many positive effects. For example, omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of sudden cardiac death, help keep blood vessels flexible and reduce excess blood clotting. Other polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats will lower LDL (“bad”) cholesterol when used in place of saturated fat. Foods rich in these “good” unsaturated fats are listed below:
    ❤ Omega-3 Fatty Acids (a type of Polyunsaturated Fat) • Fatty fish such as salmon, herring, sardines and trout
    The American Heart Association recommends eating at least two 3 oz. servings of
    fatty fish per week.
    • Flaxseed, walnuts and canola oil (all contain a less active form of omega-3)
    ❤ Other Polyunsaturated Fats (called Omega-6 Fatty Acids)
    • Vegetable oils: corn oil, safflower oil, sesame oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil • Soft (liquid or tub) margarine, ideally one that is trans fat-free
    • Walnuts
    • Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds
    • Soy “nuts” (roasted soy beans), soy nut butter and tofu
    ❤ Monounsaturated Fats
    • Vegetable oils: olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil
    • Nuts: almonds, cashews, peanuts, pecans, pistachios • Avocado
    • Peanut butter and almond butter
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    How long have you been tracking on MFP? When I first started I was really gung-ho about tracking and coming in as close to or under my calorie goal as possible and the change from my usual poor eating habits to healthier habits did keep me full longer, etc, and sometimes it was hard to hit my calorie goal just because I honestly didn't feel hungry. Are you posting because you are concerned about the low calorie totals or because you haven't been losing?

The most important thing, IMO, especially when starting out is just being conscious of what you're eating and how you feel. I did take a glance at your diary and I would recommend adding in more frequent and healthier snacks--almond butter and an apple, or laughing cow cheese with toast, or some other combination of protein/carb or veggie/protein.

I just started last week. I am trying to find things that I like (picky eater here) in a healthier version. I'm posted this because I was concerned about the totals. I want to do it the right way. I looked at my calorie intake which is like 1860 and I thought whoaa that seems like a lot. Then, I thought about the 1200. Which should I look at the 1860 or the 1200? Why doesn't it tell me to go for 1200? Plus, I don't want to eat when I am not hungry.

Don't think I would like almond butter. I do love laughing cow so next time I go grocery shopping, I will get some of that in.

Thanks for your advice.

Do you not understand that the more you weigh the larger your calorie allowance will be and it decreases as you lose weight? The point is to step you down gradually, not start out at some stupidly low amount and expect you to sustain that.