worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I was very overweight as a child (even in kindergarten) and during the late 50's and early 60's, obese kids were few and far between in school so if you were fat you really stuck out. Kids used to taunt me with, "Fatty, fatty two by four/can't fit through the bathroom door/so she does it on the floor/fatty fatty two by four." Another taunt was "Fat and Skinny had a race/up and down the pillow case/ Fat fill down and broke her crown/ Skinny won the race!" There was a pop song in the mid sixties, "SweetPea," and kids used to sing to me, "FatPea." I thought it would end when I got to college. Wrong. I was taunted alot by a group of frat boys. I transfered to a top tier women's college in the US; and none of the women made fun of me, at least to my face.
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Come to Korea, and you will be dealing with very hurtful, insensitive remarks all the time - I've been in tears many times, but the one at the top of my list just didn't warrant any hurt feelings at all!

One morning I was running for the elevator and caught it just in time. It was only me and one of the senior engineers in the building in the elevator. The moment I stepped in he started looking me up and down.... He started the 'small talk' with 'Do you exercise?' I knew what was coming so replied: 'Not enough!' adding a kind smile. So next comes his advice ' You should exercise more!' to which I replied 'Yes, that's true' (by this time, I wasn't only giving him evasive answers, I was starting to turn my back on him as well)

Next question: "How much do you weigh?" I look around in absolute amazement and say 'Too much".... Him: "no, really how much?" and after he looked me up and down again he offered "150kgs?" To that I replied, "No, that's too much".

Thankfully we reached the 4th floor just then.... Now I take the stairs and get in some much needed exercise. Pity he couldn't climb stairs to rid himself of his rude insensitive manner and his total misunderstanding of appropriate small talk topics in English. :bigsmile:
  • Girlwithnoname77
    Girlwithnoname77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    That's disgusting! How horrible :(

When I was 18 I was at a night club and - actually - was not even "big" in my eyes back then. A size 16 (Aus). Anyways, this guy came up to me, drunk and charming as he was, and signalled out his hands to show a great width and was going on about me needing a sign that said WIDE LOAD. I was so embarrassed and upset. Jerk!!!
  • DellG85
    DellG85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was standing at a bus stop one day, a young guy walked passed me and said "frigging hippo !"

Ah god that's awful! Soul destroying too, isnt it? I went away with the hubs family last year and was covered head to foot in midge bites, to which I was allergic and broke out so it looked like I had chicken pox. I was really sore and itchy and when I told a certain family member, his response was "Well none of the rest of us have been bitten...saying that, midges do tend to only bite bigger people. It's because of the fat and sugar in their blood". Apparently, he thought I was just a big lump of lard and sugar. Nice, eh?!

Vowed to shift the weight so when I go away this year, I will have the confidence to endlessly rib him about looking like a wrinkly *kitten* hahaha (Sorry!) :)
  • poorvifat
    poorvifat Posts: 21
    Options
    i had to interfere in one of my 10 year old bro's fights,before it got ugly and his "friends" started chanting, no scream-chanting FATSO at me,like there were so many other people around and definately one of the worse times of my life......:explode: :mad: ...but then i thought wth,why should i let a bunch of idiots with no manners bother me..:ohwell:
    especially since i was trying to shake off my ugly fat real hard:glasses:
    edit:now when someone says something like that i just dont bother to react:yawn:
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My grandmother last summer: "Well, you've got those big legs, but you'll always have them".

My grandmother last week: "You're STILL eating? You're going to get fat!" (she might as well have added the "again", since I knew that's what she was implying!)
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had a patient ask me when I'm due and when I said I'm not pregnant she replied with well you look it.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Come to Korea, and you will be dealing with very hurtful, insensitive remarks all the time - I've been in tears many times, but the one at the top of my list just didn't warrant any hurt feelings at all!

One morning I was running for the elevator and caught it just in time. It was only me and one of the senior engineers in the building in the elevator. The moment I stepped in he started looking me up and down.... He started the 'small talk' with 'Do you exercise?' I knew what was coming so replied: 'Not enough!' adding a kind smile. So next comes his advice ' You should exercise more!' to which I replied 'Yes, that's true' (by this time, I wasn't only giving him evasive answers, I was starting to turn my back on him as well)

Next question: "How much do you weigh?" I look around in absolute amazement and say 'Too much".... Him: "no, really how much?" and after he looked me up and down again he offered "150kgs?" To that I replied, "No, that's too much".

Thankfully we reached the 4th floor just then.... Now I take the stairs and get in some much needed exercise. Pity he couldn't climb stairs to rid himself of his rude insensitive manner and his total misunderstanding of appropriate small talk topics in English. :bigsmile:

True. I'm in Korea as well. Before here, I was in the Republic of Georgia (ESL Teacher). In both places, they think comments about your weight are nice and helpful because then they think you'll just "do something" about it.
  • Girlwithnoname77
    Options
    Every Christmas when we go to my inlaws my husband's brother invites this older couple and one year she said to me "if you'd eat some vegetables you'd lose some weight." That was it! I started my diet right after that! She still questions me every time I see her about what I am doing to lose weight! She's is such a bag!

Do it for you; not her! That is sooooo annoying! I hate that I have a MUCH better diet than my "skinny" friends ... and they claim to be HEALTHIER than me when really, they were just blessed with better genetics/metabolism. My quantities were the issue; not the quality of what I was digesting. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    hmm i think that would be when i was 126lbs and underweight quite honestly...people kept telling me that i looked GOOD....and i felt AWFUL...cause i knew i looked awful....there is nothing good about being underweight because you haven't been able to eat anything substantial for 3 weeks straight...and puking most of what you eat up because of stress...and you can see your cheek bones and ribcage and hip bones and every other bone in your body!! and people wonder why young girls have such a warped sense of what their bodies should look like because of people like that telling people they look fantastic when they look like a bag of bones and slowly dying on the inside...i would take my 162lb body over the126lb body any day!!!
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was an awkward 12 year old going through a lot of **** and I decided I wanted to get fit. I tried to go for a run and I wasn't very good, anyway these two girls that I didn't know were walking on the other side of the road and litterally yelled out at me "you fat pig, oink oink, heffa!"
    there was other things that people said anonymously over the internet. Like "kill yourself you fat *****" "beauty's in the eye of the beholder but who would behold beauty in you!"
    (keep in mind that I have never in my life been technically overweight and when the comments were made I was 12 years old, had a BMI of 23 and was healthy)
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    YOu'd be beautiful if you lost another 20 lbs.
    Or.. OMG you are huge, you have gained so much weight, you used to be cute.

or.. just last week when my husband noticed i'd lost my tummy and I mentioned that the extra boob with no nipple was gone, he looked at me and said...
    "that's ok, you have two more on your back for me to play with" yeah My response "You don't have any to play with now" Holds true to this day. No more playthings for him.

Last year my grandson said I was too fat to sit in the same car with him. 4 years old. Amazing.
  • curiousmissclay
    Options
    I have been called ten tonne tessy before which made me really sad lol
    Recently It was snowing where I live and a lad with 2 girls walked past me and my bf and threw a snowball that just missed my fella.I turned around to give him a dirty look and he proceeded to say " Dont worry love youd need a snowman not just a snowball"
    Pretty much put me in a funk for a couple of days.

I dont know why people feel the need to say things like that if they knew the way it made us feel.
  • Girlwithnoname77
    Options
    Well, my mum has been telling me my whole life that I need to lose weight (including when I was 100lb in high school) :/
    Now that I have lost quite a bit and starting to look good she goes on about how I can't eat certain foods... e.g. eggs and cheese. (hellooo protein!)
    When she sits there eating maccas!

Pleased that you seem to understand GOOD nutrition! You didn't get it from your mum, but you do have it. Be proud. I used to be friends with a girl in primary/high school and she was skinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny. Very skinny girl. No one would debate it. YET her MUM used to give her only HALF a sandwich for lunch because she would say her daughter was too fat!!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE/MUMS?!

Sorry - know this is your mum. I have mother issues so this is probably while this rubs me the wrong way even more!!! Sorry you go through that :(
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had a patient ask me when I'm due and when I said I'm not pregnant she replied with well you look it.

Now that's a classic example of adding insult to injury...
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    YOu'd be beautiful if you lost another 20 lbs.
    My mother said this to me. It apparently left an emotional scar because reading this evoked some ugly feelings.
    One of the meanest things anyone's ever said to me about my weight happened right here on this forum the last time I posted progress photos. I doubt he even realized it. That left a scar as well.
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was out walking a few weeks ago. About half a block ahead of me were four obnoxious, 8-10th grade-ish kids. Lots of swearing, loud laughing, stuff like that. One of the boys spun around and yelled "Holy S***, look at this fat f*** trying to walk behind us. hahahahahaha."

For a minute I was really mad and had to choke back a rather scathing reply...Then I thought a child who would talk the way he did to an adult probably doesn't have good adult role models in his life, and that made me feel sorry for him.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    A 4 year old asked me if I had a baby in my tummy. (Her mother was pregnant at the time.) That was in January just before I started MFP.

But, honestly, every single adult person I know has more tact than to say things like that. Reading some of these posts, I cannot imagine the world some people live in where they think saying these things is acceptable.
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school this kid used to follow me down the hall singing the Fat Albert song but instead of saying "it's Fat Albert", he would say "It's Fat Al or Alicyn". To this day I can't watch that show. My 25 year high school reunion is this summer and I'm down to the size I was in school. That's one of the reasons I want to loose weight before then.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    and if my husband ever said anything like that to...boy he'd be missing some vital parts to his body LOL

im so lucky for him cause he's always told me that i looked great and fantastic....even when was at my heaviest...actually he started dating me when i was at my heaviest lol.....so apparently he liked it hahaha

and even dropping 16lbs now....he doesn't tell me i look any better or worse than i did before....and just that hes proud of me for getting healthy...and the big thing is hes happy that i feel better about myself...cause he knew i was not happy how i was....so that makes him happy that im not such a downer anymore LOL