How do you respond to posts seeking advice?

Options

Replies

• Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Decision Tree:

Is question stupid?
    Yes No
    I I
    Funz The best response I can give while considering all angles and legal culpability. <hugs> Then, funz.
    I I
    FUNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

And by that, I mean I've lost interest and fallen asleep. :flowerforyou:

ETA: MFP hates tree formatting. What should I DOOOO!!??
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Just stand there and look pretty!
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    Usually, I take a peek just because I'm curious...being thoroughly convinced that I'm NOT going to waste my time replying.
    However, as I start to read the replies I become either A) overwhelmed by the amount of stupid advice being given or B) personally involved, and I just MUST reply!!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    First, I WISH somebody would post "does this show off my vajazzling?" God I wish.

THAT... lol...
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Usually I start my advice the exact same way I tell my kids "In my opinion, which is the ONLY one that counts..."

Other than that, my pat answer is "KFC is the best colon cleanse out there!"
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    1. try to decide if I have anything intelligent to say, that hasn't already been stated.

2. Look to see how many pages have already been created. If my enlightening advice appears on page 14, nobody benefits.

3. Start typing serious response. Change my mind and backspace it away. Come up with sarcastic reply.

4. Type sarcastic response, and wait breathlessly to see if I get modded.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    On this forum I’m not anonymous… but when my marriage was falling apart and it was forums where I *was* anonymous that opened up my eyes to ways he was mistreating me (that I thought were normal because my dad was much the same way) and also ways I was wrong.

I don’t fault the dumb folks (just ignore them or enjoy them), but if I get a chance to offer 2 cents hat might save someone from unnecessarily feeling bad about themselves or being in a bad relationship I’m gonna offer it. They may not listen, but there's so much I wish others would have told me before it's too late. And if I can brighten someone’s day, I will.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    of course, right now, more than anything, this springs to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KMs3qWFTro
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    hookers and blow...my universal response to everything.
    ...and surprisingly, it usually works.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I didn't make it to read any further on this post than VAJAZZLING

Monday. Was. Made
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    The overwhelming majority of advice-seeking posts seem to be people that simply want their own ideas confirmed. They aren't really looking to expand their worldview or experience, but find justification and support to the ideas and behaviors they've already done or want to do. My opinion, of course.

However, rather than being cynical, I often try to answer advice-seeking posts seriously knowing that someone who is genuinely considering something (rather than mind made up) might read the thread and get something useful. That's not to say I'm above a fart joke.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I pretty much avoid the advice-seeking threads. Most people who post questions looking for advice to a personal situation have answers they want to hear, and others will be ignored or rejected. Very few seem to want legitimate advice, most seem to want justification for believing what they do. I especially avoid the diet advice threads *shudder* like when someone asks a question about a super low calorie diet and wants to hear YES STARVING YOURSELF IS A GREAT IDEA!... then they get mad when they are told they need to eat more. No me gusta.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    1. try to decide if I have anything intelligent to say, that hasn't already been stated.

2. Look to see how many pages have already been created. If my enlightening advice appears on page 14, nobody benefits.

3. Start typing serious response. Change my mind and backspace it away. Come up with sarcastic reply.

4. Type sarcastic response, and wait breathlessly to see if I get modded.

Often, I repeat step three several times, and never make it to step 4.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    hookers and blow...my universal response to everything.
    love it, and you need more cowbells
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    That's not to say I'm above a fart joke.
    You rang?
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    honestly it just depends on my mood.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I go to the Bible... God has all the answers, we just need to accept them. :) I never said it was easy! :)
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I go to the Bible... God has all the answers, we just need to accept them. :) I never said it was easy! :)

But I like shellfish..
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I've posted a few of these. . In two cases it was a serious question and I used the answers given to make a decision, which in both cases was the opposite of my inclination (salt&pepper and flip-flops). . I find these forums very useful for information on the general state of cool-ness and fashion etc. . I just Divorced after 10 years and am utterly clueless about the current state of the 'single' world. . . Basically, I really need help dressing myself.

I've also posted silly questions, just to enjoy the fun that follows. .
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

But I like shellfish..

haha