What kind of milk do you drink?

Options
Ive been drinking fat free for a long time. Would it be healthier to switch to whole milk if I'm exercising on a consistent basis?

Replies

• AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I can't see why it would necessarily be healthier unless you're deficient in fat. I personally consume Natrel 2% Lactose-Free but that's because my girlfriend doesn't like whole milk. I prefer the thickness of whole. Much better I find.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter.

I prefer to get my fat from other things. So fat free milk for me.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    fat free milk for me.

White water?
  • Teapotdomescam
    Options
    I drink soy milk of all kinds, flax milk, almond milk and sunflower milk! Only because I am lactose intolerant though. Every time I take a sip of whole milk I can't help but long for one glass
  • Ady0092
    Ady0092 Posts: 86
    Options
    Skim milk fat free
  • hillary124
    hillary124 Posts: 112
    Options
    I drink 1%! and skim in my coffee.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    Skim milk from the farmer's market. I don't mind if it is called "white water" since most of the time I'm not just drinking a glass of milk, it is usually a carrier for other flavors.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm intolerant to dairy, soy, and almond so I drink Rice Dream Enriched Vanilla Rice Milk
  • bedinky1207
    bedinky1207 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Almond milk! I love almond milk and you get more calcium from it and lower fat.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    fat free milk for me.

White water?
    Actually, there's usually a bit of a blueish tint to it. But I personally don't like milk, so skim tastes better to me. I used to buy it directly from a dairy... they had two "levels" of milk (I don't specifically remember the difference), but the premium one was the first skim I'd ever had that actually looked like milk, and it tasted good too.

As to the original question... It really depends on how much fat you need in your diet and where you want that to come from.

Personally, I'm more concerned with not having milk that's from cows that have been treated with rBST, anti-biotics, hormones, etc.

*edited to fix a typo
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm intolerant to dairy, soy, and almond so I drink Rice Dream Enriched Vanilla Rice Milk

Luckily I can have almond, but cannot have casein or soy...

I have So Natural Rice Milk... nom nom...
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Personal choice. Depends on if you are hitting your macors and calories.

I like almond milk and coconut milk personally. Creamy and rich taste to me.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond Almond Milk ALL DAY! :drinker:
    40 calories for one cup?! Heck yeah!

Skim milk is twice as much cals, sugar, etc.
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

White water?
    [/quote]

I grew up drinking whole but switched to 2% a couple of years ago. I swore I would never drink skim. However, once I started MFP, I switched. By cutting the calories in my milk, I was able to eat more. Oh, but I do long for a nice thick glass of milk. (Sigh)
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Breastmilk
  • evakay1
    evakay1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it's not available in the states, but Shape no fat milk (dairy farmers) is delicious, and tastes like full cream!
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    i love milk, but i can't drink it :/ it would not be good for what i am trying to accomplish.
  • 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Fat free chocolate milk!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I usually stock powdered non-fat milk. Great for shakes. Lasts a really long time before going bad.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lovin' the Almond (unsweet) milk in vanilla and chocolate is available now. Low carb and not animal based. No soy or lactose. I'm lactose intolerant, so this has been great. Love adding to my protein shakes. It's $2/carton at Publix and Kroger in health section on the shelf. I like because not thick like Soy Milk (which has been linked to cancer in women). I grew up on whole and 2% and still drink skim occassionally and love ice cream. So it's hard, but try it ! You may like!