Replies

• Andie_loops
    Options
    Y'all

You all
    You all are
    All of you

EX: Y'all funny (All of you are funny)
    Y'all need to shut up! (You all need to shut up!)

Personally unless you're using it as dialog, I wouldn't use Y'All on a paper of any kind...unless of course you go to school in Texas, then it's okay.

lol that would have been awesome if my professors would have accepted y'all in midterm essay, but no they dont haha i am from texas but i dont use it on papers i say during conversations with buddies but thats pretty much it =)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm from the south (Texas girl, born and raised). I literally don't know how to speak without saying "y'all." Instead of saying "you guys" or "you all" I say "y'all."

I.e. If talking to more than one person, "Do y'all want to go grab a bite to eat?" or "I'd love for y'all to come to this party" etc. Basically just the plural of "you" and it's generally used in southern United States English dialects.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I was having this conversation the other day. It's weird for a northerner to hear "yall" being said, and I know I personally make fun of people that say "you all" or "you guys"

I use yall on an hourly basis....

You can tell who is and who isn't from here ;)
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think i'm getting a feel for this dialect :glasses: thanks... y'all!

so what do u think people who dont use it say in its place? for example ahem... canadians?

Y'all=You all, I'm from South Carolina, and we don't use it for a singular person usually only plural.

I have no idea what Canadians would say, I do know some people that say "youze" (like you's) and people just say "you"
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ireland (Dublin) and our version of y'all is yiz, or yous (as in plural you) x and in the countryside in Ireland they say Ye pronounced like yee
  • 1RBelle512
    1RBelle512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just "y'all"ed in a post, lol. It's a contraction of "you all". I liken it to the Romance languages' plural "you", such as "vous" in French. However, I'm from Shreveport, which means there are plenty of people who say "y'all all" as the plural "you". Yes, as in "y'all all gotta try this gumbo" or "all y'alll have a beer and make yourselves at home."
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    LOL..loving this thread y'all! :)
    I'm in Oklahoma. Y'all is for mulitple people, not one person.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i'm from texas so i use ya'll in every sentence pretty much.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    Y'all

You all
    You all are
    All of you

EX: Y'all funny (All of you are funny)
    Y'all need to shut up! (You all need to shut up!)

Personally unless you're using it as dialog, I wouldn't use Y'All on a paper of any kind...unless of course you go to school in Texas, then it's okay.

lol that would have been awesome if my professors would have accepted y'all in midterm essay, but no they dont haha i am from texas but i dont use it on papers i say during conversations with buddies but thats pretty much it =)

Ha, yeah, I'm from Texas and went to college here as well...you can't use "y'all" in a paper, it's only acceptable in conversation.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    It's used to mean "you" in the plural form. In the north, we tend to say "you guys" (hate that phrase, but I still use it!). In Ireland, "ye" is used…sounds outdated to me, but I prefer it over "you guys." I just sound like a funny foreigner when I refer to my friends as "ye" hahaha! :bigsmile:
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    From Nashville, it is short for "You all". It is plural only, 2 or more people. We do not use it when referring to one person only. "What are y'all doing this weekend?" "Hope y'all have a great day!" I say it regularly, just comes natural being I've lived in Nashville my whole life. See y'all!
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    I think i'm getting a feel for this dialect :glasses: thanks... y'all!

so what do u think people who dont use it say in its place? for example ahem... canadians?

Y'all=You all, I'm from South Carolina, and we don't use it for a singular person usually only plural.

I have no idea what Canadians would say, I do know some people that say "youze" (like you's) and people just say "you"

It actually warms my heart like none other when friends of mine who aren't from here, that have moved to Texas from up north begin to use "y'all" in daily conversation. I love it!
  • jeankh
    jeankh Posts: 68
    Options
    Im Canadian, Ive heard some use "Ya'll" but most seem to use you "you all". Usually I hear "ya'll" in, "Whatcha ya'll doing?" where I primary hear it from teenage boys.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    y'all is a plural form--we do not use y'all to mean just one person. For a bigger group, some folks even say "all y'all" as in "it's time for all y'all to get back to work". Just one person is "you."
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Canadian here, and we don't really say anything different, maybe "You guys." Instead of "y'all". I've actually heard people say, "Yous" like "use." Which sounds ridiculous.

I've heard that here in the states too. To me, it just sounds uneducated. It's not a word.... but even more so, it's not a word accepted by the community such as y'all. :)

Y'all or ain't didn't start out as 'words' either, til you guys used it long enough.

I don't find either terribly educated-sounding.I say ain't casually if I'm being silly, though. It just sounds like you got your delicate southern feelings hurt by the big bad yankees. *rolls eyes*

Really, bron! Are we going to argue now about who really should have one the big war?? LMAO!

No, but apparently this is the NEXT big war! Haha!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Interesting, was under the impression that "eh" replaced just about anything at the end of a canadian sentence, including the number of people around \m/

Example: Nice day eh?
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a linguistics paper. Can someone (preferably American) explain the usage of "y'all" for me please? And also, out of curiousity, for those who use it a lot are there any substitutes? What do you think Canadians use instead?

I'm from the pacific northwest and grew up saying "you guys." Now that I live in the south the common slang for "you guys" is "ya'll."
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    Im Canadian, Ive heard some use "Ya'll" but most seem to use you "you all". Usually I hear "ya'll" in, "Whatcha ya'll doing?" where I primary hear it from teenage boys.

Y'all has also been adapted into urban slang, not just concentrated in the south. SOUTHERN VERNACULAR IS TAKING OVER!!! lol
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Try this: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=y'all+english&btnG=Search&as_sdt=0,44&as_ylo=&as_vis=0

Your school should have access to at least some of those journals. Good luck with your paper!

Also, there is a fascinating book called "Do You Speak American?" that I would recommend if you're interested in dialectical changes throughout the U.S. It's really fun to read too!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I've never posted a pic so I don't know if this will work.

southern-grammar.jpg