"y'all"

Options

Replies

• fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    hahaha oh, MFP is my only source:happy:

thanks guys. i was just wondering about what you thought we use because once i was in texas and a bunch of people asked what canadians use in place of it. they were astounded!!! :) i think i say "you guys" or just "you" covers it...

I would think "you guys", but not "you" as a plural.

You probably call coke "pop"! Don't y'all know it is all Coke! Then you say what kind of coke you want, diet coke, Pepsi, mountain dew!! :happy:

I love this. I am originally form Atlanta. It is all called Coke...then I went to grad School at ECU and everything over there is a Pepsi (it was invented about 30 min away from the school) I almost quit drinking soda all together at that point.

As for Y'all I agree it means you all. I only us it as a plural and I say it w/o an accent as I have lived near the big city all my life and I live in Virginia now. People don't believe me when I tell them I'm form the Deep South.

I also agree Y'all is rarely written and is a colloquium used in conversation.
  • KimiLouWho
    KimiLouWho Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I live in the South! One person is refered to as "you", more than one (one to four) is" Y'all", and more than five is "all y'all" LOL Hope this helps...and no, I don't know why it is what it is...it just is!
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Y'all = You all = You guys.

Of if your on the Jersey Shore: Yous Guys.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    That would be "You's/Youse/Yous," however you want to spell it!

Ex: You's/Youse/Yous coming to the party tonight?

There's also "you's/youse/yous guys" which is probably more similar to "y'all" now that I think about it.

:noway: You're joking right?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Y'all

You all
    You all are
    All of you

EX: Y'all funny (All of you are funny)
    Y'all need to shut up! (You all need to shut up!)

Personally unless you're using it as dialog, I wouldn't use Y'All on a paper of any kind...unless of course you go to school in Texas, then it's okay.

yea, it's acually not proper ettiquette to use y'all in a paper, even here in Texas, but that would have made things easier growing, y'all dig? :wink:

ETA: the example given would be "Y'all ARE funny" to be gramatically correct. :happy:
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    That would be "You's/Youse/Yous," however you want to spell it!

Ex: You's/Youse/Yous coming to the party tonight?

There's also "you's/youse/yous guys" which is probably more similar to "y'all" now that I think about it.

Yes, ^^^^ This. I've heard Boston-types use this for a plural of "you".
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Interesting, was under the impression that "eh" replaced just about anything at the end of a canadian sentence, including the number of people around \m/

I'm Canadian and never use "Eh"
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It is southern for you all
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think Y'all is a Southern thing, and I know it's a Texas thang! Not a thing, a thang. By the way, Texas is not part of the South. Texas is just Texas, the former Republic of Texas and therefore much bigger than the South. :) If you don't believe me, ask any Texan.

Other terms that have the same meaning as Y'all

Youse... mostly heard by New Yawkers

Yu'ins. A popular term in Southern Missouri and Southern Illinois.
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That's Texas Talk for "you all"

As in "I'm going to the store, y'all coming? "

I hate it when you watch a movie about the south and they misuse the word. I would not use "y'all" when speaking to a solitary person. Nor do we say it like it has two syllables. It just rolls right off the tongue! LOL

Y'ALL FEEL ME?!

Not just Texas...Georgia too!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    ummm, Americans are NOTHING more than a mix of ethnicities from all over the world. people in the UK use the word y'all as well. Me: I use y'all in just about every sentence imaginable. I mean it just means you all. idk about substitutes though.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I think Y'all is a Southern thing, and I know it's a Texas thang! Not a thing, a thang. By the way, Texas is not part of the South. Texas is just Texas, the former Republic of Texas and therefore much bigger than the South. :) If you don't believe me, ask any Texan.

Other terms that have the same meaning as Y'all

Youse... mostly heard by New Yawkers

Yu'ins. A popular term in Southern Missouri and Southern Illinois.

Hahahah YES! Us Texans have kind of an out of control amount of state pride :) I love it!
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    You probably call coke "pop"! Don't y'all know it is all Coke! Then you say what kind of coke you want, diet coke, Pepsi, mountain dew!! :happy:

^^^^^Lmao! This exactly! I live in Texas and I cant tell y'all how many times Ive had this conversation: "Im going to the store, y'all want a coke?" "Yes" "Ok what kind?" "A Dr. Pepper" :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    ummm, Americans are NOTHING more than a mix of ethnicities from all over the world. people in the UK use the word y'all as well. Me: I use y'all in just about every sentence imaginable. I mean it just means you all. idk about substitutes though.

While this is true, in the United States the word "y'all" is much more associated with the slang and dialect used in the southern region of the country. Just like there is vernacular used in northern Mexico not used as commonly in southern Mexico, same for pretty much any other large country. And trust me, people from the southern United States are REALLY proud of it :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Interesting, was under the impression that "eh" replaced just about anything at the end of a canadian sentence, including the number of people around \m/

You didn't finish your sentence. You never use what?
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options

^^^^^Lmao! This exactly! I live in Texas and I cant tell y'all how many times Ive had this conversation: "Im going to the store, y'all want a coke?" "Yes" "Ok what kind?" "A Dr. Pepper" :)

OMG YES!!!!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a linguistics paper. Can someone (preferably American) explain the usage of "y'all" for me please? And also, out of curiousity, for those who use it a lot are there any substitutes? What do you think Canadians use instead?

Canadian's say y'all too in some parts.. I do anyways....

It's not like Canadians come from some far away country -.-
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options

You didn't finish your sentence. You never use what?

funny..
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options

SoCal here, and this is totally how our conversations go, with the exception that instead of y'all, it'd be you guys - even if it's a room full of chicks.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    That's Texas Talk for "you all"

As in "I'm going to the store, y'all coming? "

I hate it when you watch a movie about the south and they misuse the word. I would not use "y'all" when speaking to a solitary person. Nor do we say it like it has two syllables. It just rolls right off the tongue! LOL

Y'ALL FEEL ME?!

Interesting, my husband's family is from Georgia and they use it whether talking to a single person or a group. He explained it to me as being singular or plural.