For the Parents - Anatomical Terminology

Options

Replies

• Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm a part-time nude parent as well. My kids have seen me naked, laugh at my butt jiggle and we move on LOL My boys run around naked too, but they get a little more conservative in front of visitors. They were taught the proper penis and vagina for the parts and breasts.... that was a big one (not mine, mine are small ones LOL). They came home with this idea they could say 'boobs' and 'titties'. I don't care if they do when they grow up, but I'm not having a 6 year old say 'Hey mom, your titties are all naked". It was creepy!!! I explained the function of breasts as far as feeding babies was concerned and that I would like them called breasts. It was a one time discussion. Boys have a chest, women have breasts for feeding babies. No biggie deal. They do like to nickname their parts, so I let them as long as it's nothing too vulgar. Most of the time they refer to the whole general area as their 'crotch' or their 'business'. It changes from time to time, but if asked, they can idenitfy parts by proper names.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    " pannie drawls"

Her what??!! :huh:

That's Southern for underwear. It's typed phonetically. "Pantie drawers" would be the correct spelling.
  • Dawn3218
    Dawn3218 Posts: 80
    Options
    [/quote]

I prefer the term "Nacho". It's nacho butt, but it's nacho balls, either.
    [/quote]

:laugh:
  • loftus2005
    Options
    this is making me laugh!! Ive never heard some of these terms!! "fandangles" and "nacho" haha can't wait to ask the hubby when he gets outta the shower if he washed them!! lmao!! In our house we just call them privates.. and I don't walk around naked but if they see me, then they see me... I do sit in my bra and undies to get ready. Our house is pretty open as far as this topic goes! Id rather they hear it from us than their friends and such!! cant wait to read more!! ;)
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options

My husband sleeps naked. I'm not brave enough to, though. I figure that's for two reasons - it's often freakin' cold in this house and I get up a few times a night, and it is a sure thing that if I do sleep naked my house will start on fire. I'm just that kind of lucky.

In all the years that I've been a firefighter, I've seen zero people standing outside their houses naked because of a fire.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    " pannie drawls"

That's Southern for underwear. It's typed phonetically. "Pantie drawers" would be the correct spelling.
    I'm southern and I've never heard anything like that.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    " pannie drawls"

What??? Southern like from Virginia, or real Southern like Alabama? You've never heard anyone call underpants "drawers"? What did you grow up calling it? In our house it was either panties or drawers.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    wiener, thingy, privates, juevos, stuff, business, twig & berries

My son is now 10, plays hockey and wears a cup. We have used many terms none of which are anatomically correct...

I stopped wandering the house nude when he was about 4 & was speaking very well and getting curious.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    " pannie drawls"

Thank you!
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have two girls, 13 and 10. I'll go down to the laundry room naked or whatever but I don't prance around naked just for the fun of it. My husband will not ever show himself without clothes on...he's always been that way and I'm fine with that. They don't need see him naked. If I had a son, I likely wouldn't be walking around naked either.

As for terminology...my kids know the right words for the body parts but I've occassionally said "boobs" or vajayjay :P
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I use the real, correct words, but my two youngest daughters insist on saying "chinus." (Like "China.") I think it's hilarious!

Well, actually I do say "boobs" instead of "breasts." I don't have any problem with the word "breast" -- I do say "breastfeeding" -- I just never really thought about it.

I don't really walk around the house naked. But I am comfortable being naked in front of my daughters or 3yo son, and if my older sons walk in to my room without knocking and find me naked, I just stand there and stare at them to make my point. :P
  • brentrhodes
    brentrhodes Posts: 139
    Options
    I have 5 sons (5-17) and 1 daughter (2).

I do not walk around naked, but I might have just my bra and panties on, or a tshirt and panties...like if I have get something. Or, if they walk in while I am changing, I don't freak and hide. So, I guess I am in the middle. I breastfed all of my kids, so they saw plenty of boob. I didn't overly hang it out there, but in my house, I am not using a blanket to cover!!

I do still co-shower with the 5 year old boy and the 2 year old daughter, and so does my husband.

As far as genitalia names....goodness, we call it everything. Penis, wiener (sorry that really is my favorite), junk, gooch (the area between the balls and butt hole...boys, did you wash your gooch?), we do ball and nut jokes....I mean honestly, we can use any word to reference their fandangles!! Haha...yes, I am a very gross mom!!

Now, my daughter, I do call it her tootie and her bootie! I do not even call mine my vagina...again, I call it whatever i feel like calling it at the moment!! And the same with boobs....we could go on and on about those words. I guess we do not take our bodies too seriously, we just have fun with it!

I think that parents can do whatever they choose. As long as you have an open dialogue with your kids...then when something happens and they need to ask you , it is all cool because we joke around about our privates (genitals) .

You guys sound a lot like us. You're my new favorite MFP person because you used "gooch" so freely and applied an example of it's use. lol! In our house it's referred to as the "taint".
  • brentrhodes
    brentrhodes Posts: 139
    Options
    And I'm in Mississippi, "Pannie Drawels" is used a good bit around here. lol!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Ahem, I believe the correct term is "gentleman vegetables".

I can't stop laughing at this.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    " pannie drawls"

What??? Southern like from Virginia, or real Southern like Alabama? You've never heard anyone call underpants "drawers"? What did you grow up calling it? In our house it was either panties or drawers.
    Alabama. They're called panties, not drawers, and definitely not "panty drawers"! A panty drawer would be where you store them...
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Ahem, I believe the correct term is "gentleman vegetables".

I can't stop laughing at this.
    They said that on Top Gear and I have never stopped thinking it's hilarious.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I grew up using words like "Woo woos" for breasts, "wee-wee" for the genitals, "peepee" for urine.... but now im in the medical profession and i have no shame in referring to properly named body parts.

My fiance uses words like "pecker" for penis, "beanbag" for the testicles, "boobies" for breasts... but he uses them cause they sound funny, and i have no problem with that.

i was raised by somewhat "prudish" parents, but I turned out okay haha.... I know I will be using euphemisms for some body parts and teach our children that it isnt appropriate to refer to things like that in polite conversation, but not to be shy or embarassed about using the correct terms. They shouldnt be so ashamed of describing some issue or question to myself of their father or doctor.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old daughter sees me naked all the time but not her father. It's just natural for her and I but not with them & he is not comfortable with it either.

We use the proper terms in our house. My daughter got in trouble for saying "vagina" at daycare and was sent to a time out. I was furious and spoke to her teacher who then saw my point of view and apologized to my daughter. I don't want her calling it a "peepee" or something stupid like that. Vagina, Penis, etc, are not bad words and I don't want her to grow up thinking they are.

This happened to my little brother too, for saying penis. They were singing some song about having gum stuck to their butt--and they said butt--and other body parts. A penis is a body part so that was part of his song. So ridiculous that he got a time out--the teacher even spoke to my parents about it. Of course my stepmom's reply was 'What else is he supposed to call it?" :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

My husband sleeps naked. I'm not brave enough to, though. I figure that's for two reasons - it's often freakin' cold in this house and I get up a few times a night, and it is a sure thing that if I do sleep naked my house will start on fire. I'm just that kind of lucky.

In all the years that I've been a firefighter, I've seen zero people standing outside their houses naked because of a fire.

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED ABOUT THIS!!! :happy:
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    My 4 year old daughter sees me naked all the time but not her father. It's just natural for her and I but not with them & he is not comfortable with it either.

We use the proper terms in our house. My daughter got in trouble for saying "vagina" at daycare and was sent to a time out. I was furious and spoke to her teacher who then saw my point of view and apologized to my daughter. I don't want her calling it a "peepee" or something stupid like that. Vagina, Penis, etc, are not bad words and I don't want her to grow up thinking they are.

This happened to my little brother too, for saying penis. They were singing some song about having gum stuck to their butt--and they said butt--and other body parts. A penis is a body part so that was part of his song. So ridiculous that he got a time out--the teacher even spoke to my parents about it. Of course my stepmom's reply was 'What else is he supposed to call it?" :laugh:
    Was the problem really the word he used, or the fact that he was singing about his penis?