For the Parents - Anatomical Terminology

Options

Replies

• KristysLosing
    Options
    My kids are 4 (daughter) and 3 (son). They've seen me naked, walked in and tore open the curtain while I'm in the shower. lol My daughter calls everything her butt. Not that there is anything wrong with vagina, but butt works just fine for me. My son knows its his penis and knows the word, but we still call him Mr Winky. lol I feel better about it, because he knows the real word and uses it too. But we use poop and pee for those bodily functions. I say to each his own. :-)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old daughter sees me naked all the time but not her father. It's just natural for her and I but not with them & he is not comfortable with it either.

We use the proper terms in our house. My daughter got in trouble for saying "vagina" at daycare and was sent to a time out. I was furious and spoke to her teacher who then saw my point of view and apologized to my daughter. I don't want her calling it a "peepee" or something stupid like that. Vagina, Penis, etc, are not bad words and I don't want her to grow up thinking they are.

This happened to my little brother too, for saying penis. They were singing some song about having gum stuck to their butt--and they said butt--and other body parts. A penis is a body part so that was part of his song. So ridiculous that he got a time out--the teacher even spoke to my parents about it. Of course my stepmom's reply was 'What else is he supposed to call it?" :laugh:
    Was the problem really the word he used, or the fact that he was singing about his penis?

It was the word. The song went "Gum in my hair, gum on my face, gum on my arm, gum on my leg, gum on my butt etc". He finished with 'gum on my penis.' I don't see why they can say butt and not penis. :huh:
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Awwww terminology.

In high school me and my best friends called it a "dinky" and a "Cooter"

I tell my son thats his "spot" or his P.P

Like another post said I kinda cringe at the thought of my son calling it a penis.

Hes 3 right now but I will probably teach him correctly as he gets older and I know he wont go around popping the word out for unneccessary reasons.

As for seeing me naked.
    He wonders into the bathroom or the shower somtimes when im in there.

I was told by my doctor that around the age or 4 is the appropriate time to start letting them know that females need thier privacy.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options

My husband sleeps naked. I'm not brave enough to, though. I figure that's for two reasons - it's often freakin' cold in this house and I get up a few times a night, and it is a sure thing that if I do sleep naked my house will start on fire. I'm just that kind of lucky.

In all the years that I've been a firefighter, I've seen zero people standing outside their houses naked because of a fire.

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED ABOUT THIS!!! :happy:
    Working with fire camps ive seen plenty outside in thier boxers and tank tops...
    Sometimes thats just all I need. Lol.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I would suggest getting down on your knees so that you are about the height of your child(ren) and notice where their line of sight is. What may seem ok to you takes on a whole different perspective to the little ones. Like my husband says, "Elevator smells different to midgets and children". There is a lot of truth to that.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    In our home our children know what body parts are called. I mean seriously, what is the big deal? My boys know that my body is different than theirs. Do I want them to stand and stare at me, no, but I don't scream at them if they walk into the bathroom.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    From the moment they could speak we taught them the exact proper names for all body parts and all body functions. I breast fed all my kids so me whipping out a breast to feed was nothing unusual for the older kids to see.
    I walk around in my bra and sometimes my undies. I do not walk around or sleep naked but that is because I just don't feel comfortable.

But as for conversation anything goes. I used to work in the medical field so I have no qualms about breaking everything down to what the function of this is and why it behaves the way it does. It removes the "haha" part of it and then it's not taboo anymore. My kids come to me all the time asking just out right TMI questions all the time, or just pulling down and saying "hey, look at this".......but I wouldn't have it any other way.

They feel comfortable enough with our family and their bodies to just talk about it. I want them to know and ask me questions before someone else tries to teach them :noway:
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    We use the terms penis and vagina, I am firm believer in calling body parts by their proper names. As for nudity, I do dress and use the bathroom in front of my children. I will stop at the point that things seem to bother them or me.

THIS!

I would however, never sleep naked with my son in the bed with us. That just seems wrong somehow.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old daughter sees me naked all the time but not her father. It's just natural for her and I but not with them & he is not comfortable with it either.

We use the proper terms in our house. My daughter got in trouble for saying "vagina" at daycare and was sent to a time out. I was furious and spoke to her teacher who then saw my point of view and apologized to my daughter. I don't want her calling it a "peepee" or something stupid like that. Vagina, Penis, etc, are not bad words and I don't want her to grow up thinking they are.

This happened to my little brother too, for saying penis. They were singing some song about having gum stuck to their butt--and they said butt--and other body parts. A penis is a body part so that was part of his song. So ridiculous that he got a time out--the teacher even spoke to my parents about it. Of course my stepmom's reply was 'What else is he supposed to call it?" :laugh:
    Was the problem really the word he used, or the fact that he was singing about his penis?

It was the word. The song went "Gum in my hair, gum on my face, gum on my arm, gum on my leg, gum on my butt etc". He finished with 'gum on my penis.' I don't see why they can say butt and not penis. :huh:
    Seriously, you don't see a difference between butt and penis? You think it would have been ok for him to say "gum on my wee-wee"?
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have always hated the terms wee-wee and such, we have always taught our boys the proper terminology for their genitals, and they know that girls have vaginas. Seriously, wee-wee, winky, etc? Yuck.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Seriously, you don't see a difference between butt and penis? You think it would have been ok for him to say "gum on my wee-wee"?

Uh, no. Last time I checked they're both body parts. Penis = wee-wee. How is penis a bad word? 5-year-olds don't know that a penis is used for sex. To them it's just another body part and it's used to pee.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    woo-woo and winkers up in the boom boom palace!

however, both kids know the correct term. My whole family uses these terms. EVERYONE.

But I do not call my gyno and say "i need an appt to have my woo-woo examined".
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

however, both kids know the correct term. My whole family uses these terms. EVERYONE.

LOL I was just thinking about that. The gyno doesn't say "I'm going to feel your boobies for lumpy bits now." :laugh: Penis and vagina are not 'bad' words.
  • boomboom011
    Options

LOL I was just thinking about that. The gyno doesn't say "I'm going to feel your boobies for lumpy bits now." :laugh: Penis and vagina are not 'bad' words.

or your "chi-chi's".
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    We have used proper names and slang. I can't keep up with all the slang that kids and young adults use but I feel they need to know the slang terms. Many of the kids friends and acquaintances use slang for whatever reason. I think my kids should understand what is being said.
    We have also had to cover cuss words, especially after my daughter called me a son of a biotch.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have a 2.5 year old. We use proper terms, and I can't think of a good reason why somebody wouldn't. I mean, I'm not about to call her arm a "nubby" or something, right? Vulva, vagina, penis, *kitten*, breasts, areola, nipples - these are what we use, because that is what they're called. No biggie.
  • jb140
    jb140 Posts: 29
    Options
    I confess...I was one of "those" who worried about her kids seeing her naked.

HOWEVER....my son is 16 and my daughter is now 13.... not 2 and 6....nuff said I think.

And yeah, they would still come into my room in the middle of the night to tell me they were sick or needed something....and I wouldn't want to be found naked.

No, we do not use goofy terminology for our parts and pieces. They are what they are. We used to use alternative words for private parts when they were 3 and 6. Everything needs to be taken into perspective and age appropriate.

I think it's ok to use other words to describe body parts appropriate to the child's age. Trust me...they will let you know when they think your "alternative words" are no longer applicable.

Sigh...kids can be so cruel....
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Use the proper names. It saves the kid a lot of problems later. As for being nude - I wouldn't be naked in front of my kids, nor would I want my husband to, but I also don't think it's anything shameful if you want to do it. It's just my personal choice.
  • boomboom011
    Options
    Use the proper names. It saves the kid a lot of problems later. As for being nude - I wouldn't be naked in front of my kids, nor would I want my husband to, but I also don't think it's anything shameful if you want to do it. It's just my personal choice.

just curious, what problems would this create?
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    of course i use the correct terms. woo-woo, whisker biscuit, wookie, tallywhacker and tonker. :happy:

OMG, I can't stop laughing at this!

My kids (all boys) do see me naked. I've never made a big deal over it so they don't even seem phased by it. I don't parade around the house nude but its not usual for them to come in while I'm showering, and pull back the curtain to taddle on each other.

As for the names, I am guilty of teaching them the cutesy terms. I've always called their parts "pee-pees" but the oldest recently learned "wiener" from one of his school friends. :ohwell: So, I guess its time to introduce the proper names... since I CAN'T STAND the word 'wiener'.