Aldi grocery store - favorite foods!

Options

Replies

• jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Just made a trip to Aldi last night--i LOVE the Belmont Coconut frozen fruit bars (1.79 for 6). Also purchased the premium mixed nuts, low-fat cottage cheese, and eggs :):):) They normally have salmon burgers (so delicious); it's a GR8T plc to shop and what most ppl dnt know is if you're familiar with TRADER JOE'S, they are owned by sm ownder so a lot of what you purchase there is what you are able to purchase at Aldi but for less (a seasoned "smart shopper" shared that with me)
  • srob636
    srob636 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just introduced a co-worker at lunch today! She was amazed at how much cheaper everything was. In my area, they have some of the best produce and you can't beat the prices!
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    For some stuff I like Aldi, and for some stuff I don't. Some minimally processed shelf stable stuff is ok. There isn't anything there I'm in love with though. I feel like there is too much processed stuff, which I don't buy a lot of, and not enough fresh products. I also find the selection often to be too limiting. I, unlike, many of the other posters have purchased products that I didn't like, most recently it was a brand of lunch meat.

I wish the produce at our local stores was half as good as what a lot of people in this thread are describing. Our locations (2 of them) have 1 two-side rack of produce. Some of it is ok, as in not spoiling, but some of it is. The selection of produce is usually limited though resulting in an extra stop for 1 or 2 ingredients.

I'm a guy and one of my pet peeves is multiple stops for shopping. 1 list, 1 store. Get in, get out, go home. I don't want to waste an entire afternoon going to 4 different grocery stores. With coupons and other store's generics I don't find the price differences to be all that significant.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    I like Aldi ^u^ too far from me :( So I now go to Trader Joe's BUT when I get a chance I go their for my eggs/milk and bags of fruit ^u^
  • staciw
    staciw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    In my area, they have the best produce. I do think that the meat is below standards in this area. Great spot for lunch box treats for the kids, also.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    some things that I really like:
    Millville Dark chocolate cherry granola bars
    Fit and Active Vitality cereal with strawberries
    Fit and Active Sugar Free Blackberry preserves
    Millville crispy oats cereal
    Clancy's Baked original potatoe chips
    Benton's Homestyle chocolate chip cookies (good, but oh so bad)
    Mama Cozza's pizza rolls (way crispier and tastier than totino's) Kids like 'em
    Fit and Active Turkey meatballs
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Huge, huge, HUGE ALDI fan here. Their meats are not the best selection, but what they do have, they have good cuts. I really like their 80/20 ground. It's very consistent.

My understanding is that their Millville Cereal is made by General Mills. I can vouch for several of the itms whouwannab listed as excellent.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    You can return anything you don't like with no questions asked.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I love their 100 calories packs, their cheese, & their produce. They have really good ranch dip that I eat with my carrots. Not sure the calorie value.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    They recently opened a new store close to me and I have heard about the great prices but have not checked it out yet. Sounds like a great place to eat for cheap!
  • meredith2780
    Options
    I love shopping at Aldi too. Their pizzas are a steal and actually pretty good. Love the greek yogurt, fresh fruits and veggies. I like the diversity of items like from Gremany. It's a great place to shop on a budget. However, label checking still isn't a bad idea. I have found some of the canned goods are very high and sodium and some items high sugar content. But that's everywhere, just have to read the nutrition label.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    We have had one for many years, but i haven't been in yrs and there remodeling it making it bigger now that i see so many good reviews i will have to visit when they open up.
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    maybe it's already been said - I didn't read through all 5 pages, but Aldi is owned by the same people as Trader Joe's. Which is why they have a lot of natural products that don't contain HFCS and all that extra junk. Sure, there are still a lot of things that do, but I love that their breads and bagels are HFCS free!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Frozen mixed fruit & frozn blueberries $1.99, olive oil, fit & active strawberry bars, cashews, almonds,frozn shrimp.. for the kids, frzn pancakes,frozn chicken fries, chicken rings. Cases of water too.
  • jayhawkfan51
    jayhawkfan51 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Love Aldi's for produce. We have several stores to choose from around here and all of them have a good selection. Milk is a great buy also. Cant get everything here but pretty close!
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I went to Aldi once and it felt very dirty and run down - food was generic, not a lot of produce and much like Save-A-Lot - I didn't even find thier prices all that great! Maybe it has changed, this was 5 years ago and in a different city than I'm in now. I'm in biking distance to my local market, though, so it's hard to beat that! :)
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love love love our local Aldi store. I feel like there we get a lot more and better foods than we can at any of the other grocery stores, and their produce tends to be a lot better than what we can get for less. I just wish they had more selection produce wise! I love their Friendly Farms yogurt, especially the blueberry, and their version of Honey Nut Cheerios tastes exactly the same as the name brand. Also, sometimes you can catch name brand items there on sale, like Tolberone chocolate bars.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I hate Aldi's! They never have everything on my list.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi.. their produce is great. A lot of times you can find oranges and pineapples for steals. I love their artisan lettuce and pack of multicolored peppers too. Their fit and active line is great too-I love their greek yogurt (their pineapple one is delish and 0% fat while Chobani is 2%), their s'mores rice cakes, fruit strips (love the Mango), light string cheese, jalapeno havarti cheese, hummus, ravioli, tortellini, frozen chicken breasts, frozen fish, dark roasted coffee, sandwich thins, bacon wrapped filets. Also, their prices on oats, butter, and vanilla extract really can't be beat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I'm a guy and one of my pet peeves is multiple stops for shopping. 1 list, 1 store. Get in, get out, go home. I don't want to waste an entire afternoon going to 4 different grocery stores. With coupons and other store's generics I don't find the price differences to be all that significant.

Hey, I'm a woman and feel the same way! I hate grocery shopping anyway. If I can't get everything on my list, then you don't get my business!