What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    That our state is completely flat and is nothing but a bunch of cornfields. (I'm from Nebraska)

^^^ Me too!!! :bigsmile:

ME TOO! omigosh...

My biggest pet peeve is people who say "American" and only mean people from the US. This entire block of land on this hemisphere is America. Canadians ARE Americans. *le sigh*
  • gr8dayao
    gr8dayao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what the misconception is, but evidently there must be one because with the State of Illinois' political history as solid evidence, not enough people on a state and on a national level comprehend what "Chicago, Attorney, Politician", regardless of political party, stands for. Misconception or desire for mayhem, I'm not sure which.

The other misconception is that everyone from Illinois is from Chicago. I am not and there is a whole lot of state that is a whole lot different that what you'd find in Chicago.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Basically every stereotype Canadian's get, I've heard..... Especially the pronunciation of "about".

Whenever I hear a Canadian say 'about', it sounds more to me like "a - boat" than "a - boot"

I also notice a difference in the word "sorry" sometimes. Instead of "saw - ry" like I hear most of the time down here, I hear "sore - ry"

There're probably other subtle differences, but those're the two I keep noticing a lot!

Uhh I don't know what part of Canada you have been too, but I have never heard any one say "about" like that bud.

and i think the people he hangs out with need to learn how to pronounce the word sorry. :huh:
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    That our state is completely flat and is nothing but a bunch of cornfields. (I'm from Nebraska)

ME TOO! omigosh...

My biggest pet peeve is people who say "American" and only mean people from the US. This entire block of land on this hemisphere is America. Canadians ARE Americans. *le sigh*

wtf are you talking about? i have never heard of a Canadian refer to themselves as an American
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

ME TOO! omigosh...

I think we call ourselves Americans, regardless of the fact that everyone on the Western Hemisphere is technically an American... is because it sounds better than United Statians or something... :laugh: We don't mean to offend... just trying to make it easier for everyone.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Basically every stereotype Canadian's get, I've heard..... Especially the pronunciation of "about".

Whenever I hear a Canadian say 'about', it sounds more to me like "a - boat" than "a - boot"

I also notice a difference in the word "sorry" sometimes. Instead of "saw - ry" like I hear most of the time down here, I hear "sore - ry"

There're probably other subtle differences, but those're the two I keep noticing a lot!

Uhh I don't know what part of Canada you have been too, but I have never heard any one say "about" like that bud.

and i think the people he hangs out with need to learn how to pronounce the word sorry. :huh:

This. There's no "A" in sorry.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

ME TOO! omigosh...

Sorry you don't like it, but there's nothing wrong with that. The Kingdom of Morocco is commonly known as Morocco; the Republic of Finland is commonly known as Finland. Of course the United States of America is commonly known as America. What else would it be called? "United States" describes the type of government. It's a standard naming convention. We have the right to call our country whatever we want.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    RAIN!!

Seattle gets 38 inches/year and the US average is 37. How is that so rainy?

Additionally:
    Where I work - Sequim (zip 98382), WA, gets 17 inches/year
    Where I live - Port Angeles (zip 98362), WA, gets 25 inches/year

And that doesn't even consider all those folks in eastern Washington who get to hear the rain stereotypes in a region that varies from dry pine forests to desert to grain land.

I agree! Oregon has the same stereotype.....yes it rains, but it's the constant gray that gets to me (however that is Portland/Valley/coast weather).

Now.....head over to Central Oregon and you have the high desert with glorious sun just about year-round.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm Welsh by birth and so I grew up with the stereo type joke "sheep shagger" ( shag- F**k). Joy!

"....and under that tree I got caught having sex with my first girlfriend, by her mother.....OMG what did she say?.....BAAaaa..."
    etc,etc

:grumble:
  • anna0306
    anna0306 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm from Philadelphia and I've been asked when traveling (more than once!) if I've witnessed a drive by shooting. The answer is never.

I have lived in Delaware for the last 7 years. True story-I was once asked what state that's in.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Being from California: We are all surfers (not the case) and everyone has a lot of plastic surgery (ok this one is true for many).

That reminds me. (I'm from Calif.) A little girl we know took a tumble and got a few stitches under her chin. Nothing out of the ordinary, really. Her parents are going to pay for plastic surgery to have the little scar removed. WTH?
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm from New Jersey :(

The 'guido' type is def a minority here and yet the stereotype persists.... I hate when I go traveling and people find out I'm from NJ. That show has given the whole state a bad rep :(

Hi, my last name is Guido. I totally win.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in Hibbing, Minnesota (northern Minnesota). People assume I have an accent like the movie Fargo, and say things like, "oh, sure, you betcha" or "hey use guys." Which I don't. Ever.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Being from Indiana people think I grew-up on a farm somewhere, despite the fact I live 10-minutes from S. Chicago. Then if I tell a foreign person that I'm from the Chicago area they think I've seen Al Capone.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    That we are all hippies...

Portland, Oregon

"the dream of the 1990s is alive in Portland"
    -Portlandia

And/or that we're liberal eccentric hipsters......... :smokin:

I feel like Portland and Austin are the same exact place, just different temperatures. Except Austinites actually are a bunch of liberal eccentric hipsters lol

You are correct! After 30+ years I'm about "weirded" out....

I do have to say Oregon is one of the most stunning places, worth a visit for sure.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Los Angeles California: that we're fake, famous, plastic, shallow, valley girls, rich, white, surfers, spoiled, hipsters, blonde, etc.
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm from Hawaii and everyone is shocked when they find out I'm not all that fond of fish. They think for some reason we all love fish. I like some but not most. And everyone thinks that there isn't any city area there also but its quite modernized and of course they expect everyone to know how to hula, which I do, but not everyone does.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    So, you're Canadian EH? Do you go out and aboot, EH? How much snow do you get, EH? Do you believe in polar bears? (Seriously, someone asked me that in Australia)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Im from Jersey..enough said..dont get me started..LOL

was just about to write this verbatim when i saw your post haha
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Being from Indiana people think I grew-up on a farm somewhere, despite the fact I live 10-minutes from S. Chicago. Then if I tell a foreign person that I'm from the Chicago area they think I've seen Al Capone.

When my dad was stationed in the Netherlands, we as Americans and not Texans specifically, would get asked ALL. THE. TIME. if we knew JR... :laugh: