I am from Quebec so (sarcasm):

1. I live in an Igloo all year round
    2. I have never seen grass
    3. I hunt for food
    4. we are all aboriginals
    5. I eat beavers and bacon for all 3 meals
    6. Hockey is our only sport
    7. I hate the rest of canada
    8. I don't speak english because i'm too stupid....
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... ethnicity on this hemisphere (eg the North and Western) is almost a moot point... It's easier just to say Canadian or American... because seriously who wants to say English-Danish-Slovinian-German-Swedish... blah blah blah... or to even go even farther because technically calling yourself German or English isn't an ethnicity either... you would have to call yourself Anglo, Saxon, Jute, Celt, etc... Unless you know which tribes your ancestors came from it's just easier to describe "where you came from" by the Country you and/or your parents originated from...

Now that a damper has been placed upon a fun thread.... :grumble:

Haha seriously! If we're talking ethnicity here, I'll be here all day! It takes like a full term paper to explain my heritage...so much easier to say "I'm caucasian and I'm from Texas."

To us, Texan IS an ethnicity... :laugh:
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    We're living on the California coast. Everyone assumes that we must be dedicated democrats, vegetarians, organic, green, "all natural," etc. Nope, not really. Not that those things are bad, it's just not us at all.

ETA: People also assume that we must go to the beach all the time since we live and work just down the street from it. We're not beach people AT. ALL. Too funny.
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin....we all drink (ok, fine, I do) and we all sound like we are from Fargo. Supposedly.

I get the "why don't you have a Boston accent?" a lot (I grew up in the Western part of MA) The accent is really not the whole state of MA and we all don't speak like a Kennedy or the characters on Family Guy. I promise.

I laughed when I read this. I'm from Central MA, NOT Boston, and everytime someone finds out that I'm from MA, they ask how "growing up in Boston was, and where's my accent?". There is more to the state than 1 city people.

Now I live in Ky, and I can tell you that while I like to go barefoot occasionally, I'm not pregnant. Not everyone runs moonshine, or has a gun. And not everyone here has an accent, and there are even higher education facilities here. As you must have seen when UK won the NCAA tournament!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    The ones people make are probably true about me. I am from Missouri and live on a farm. I own guns. I have christian beliefs. & I've been in a tornado before.

But they probably pin me wrong as being closed minded/judgemental like most people are from this area.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    That living in Colorado means you live in the mountains. Um, no, Denver is a city and no, it's not cold all the time. Cold temps here are much warmer than most places because we are so close to the sun - which shines 300+ days/yr. You'd be right in thinking it lacks diversity, although it's better than a lot of states out this way. But so wrong if you think we just walk around in snow boots year round - most of the time a blizzard hits and it's melted away in 2 or so days - as long as you live on the right side (facing any direction but North or West) of the street anyway ;)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am from Quebec so (sarcasm):

1. I live in an Igloo all year round
    2. I have never seen grass
    3. I hunt for food
    4. we are all aboriginals
    5. I eat beavers and bacon for all 3 meals
    6. Hockey is our only sport
    7. I hate the rest of canada
    8. I don't speak english because i'm too stupid....

mmmm, Canadian bacon.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I come from Bristol in England where we all apparently talk like farmers.

I moved to the US. People out here have such unrealistic views of Brits!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    The ones people make are probably true about me. I am from Missouri and live on a farm. I own guns. I have christian beliefs. & I've been in a tornado before.

But they probably pin me wrong as being closed minded/judgemental like most people are from this area.

Yeah, you're living the Show Me State dream!
  • damerdar
    damerdar Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm from Ohio. The only thing I've heard isthatwetalkreallyfast,butIdon'tthinkItalkfastatall....
  • ldukes52487
    ldukes52487 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm from upstate New York. Way upstate. In the Adirondacks. It's absolutely the boondocks up here. Anytime I'm traveling and I tell someone I'm from New York, I get, "What was it like to grow up in such a big city?" Or, "wow, the big apple!" Or something along those lines. New York is a lot more than just New York City.

AMEN sista! I live in Virginia now and whenever I saw I'm from NY, they're like THE CITY? No, not the city. Why don't we just say I'm from Canada and call it a day. Thanks. *le sigh
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Basically every stereotype Canadian's get, I've heard..... Especially the pronunciation of "about".

Whenever I hear a Canadian say 'about', it sounds more to me like "a - boat" than "a - boot"

I also notice a difference in the word "sorry" sometimes. Instead of "saw - ry" like I hear most of the time down here, I hear "sore - ry"

There're probably other subtle differences, but those're the two I keep noticing a lot!

Uhh I don't know what part of Canada you have been too, but I have never heard any one say "about" like that bud.

that's how we say it in N.S.:bigsmile:

I think every province has it's own accent sort of because ya, I've heard a few people on the East coast say it like that now that I think of it... But I sound like a hick and so do many other Alberta born Albertans haha :(
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I am from Ohio. The thing I hear the most is.... "Ohio....ok" I guess most people think that Ohio is boring. I'm curious to know what other people think about Ohio?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ohio!! My Dad is from Akron and I always enjoyed visiting the area as a kid. I was so excited to take my husband and kids to Ohio a couple years ago and they enjoyed it too. We have family everywhere between Uniontown and Columbus. One of the highlights of our last trip was spending a day in Put-in-Bay. Beautiful place!!! And I cannot forget "Amish country". It's one of the most beautiful areas I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. I always look forward to being in Ohio!

Love Put-in-Bay! I live 20 mins. from the lake, straight south of Port Clinton, a short boat ride to the island.

I *love* Put-Out-Bay! I mean, Put-In-Bay (another misconception. Or is it???) :wink:

Hahahaha! That's like Hodessa for Odessa... *lol* BTW, I CANNOT wait to get to Ohio this summer so I can catch up on the now (to me) rollar coasters at CP!
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    New Jersey...I know, I know...we get trashed all the time because of the refineries, the landfills and of course SNOOKIE who I think is not from NJ at all. I live in the northwest corner of the state and it is beautiful here.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Ok.. Let's see... I was born in Kenya, africa and moved to the united states when I was 12. Then moved to England, and back to the states or college/career.imoved back to England and am of Indian heritage. Misconceive all you like.. Being non white immedeatly makes me not " English ", and not being of black skin kinda throws away my claim to be an African. In India I'm treated as a westerner. The united states was the only country I have lived in where I was treated as an ordinary citizen as regards to nationality... Everybody is an American regardless of background or skin colour.

You tell me about misconceptions....
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am also from Canada. People always ask if we live in igloos, if we have a pet polar bear, If I know so and so from Toronto ( pssst, Toronto is a 3 DAY drive for me!) No, I don't know them! We don't say "I'm oot and aboot" , our police officers don't travel by horse, and people Do Not say "EH" !! stupid stereo types. It IS bitterly cold here but for 2 months a year it is Gorgeous!
    So, I'm just gonna take my 2-4, sit down on my chesterfield, watch a little Casey & Finnegan and have a bowl of Poutine! :tongue:
  • rhiannsu
    rhiannsu Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My sister is from Las Vegas, and someone actually asked her once which hotel she lived in. Uh...really?
  • Onesnap
    Options
    The Show Me State sounds like it's something dirty.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    #1. I'm from Kansas City, MISSOURI. #2. No, I don't live on a farm, own cattle, or have ever been swooped up by a tornado...

I laughed so hard reading this.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I am also from Canada. People always ask if we live in igloos, if we have a pet polar bear, If I know so and so from Toronto ( pssst, Toronto is a 3 DAY drive for me!) No, I don't know them! We don't say "I'm oot and aboot" , our police officers don't travel by horse, and people Do Not say "EH" !! stupid stereo types. It IS bitterly cold here but for 2 months a year it is Gorgeous!
    So, I'm just gonna take my 2-4, sit down on my chesterfield, watch a little Casey & Finnegan and have a bowl of Poutine! :tongue:

As someone else stated, folks from NS do say "oot and aboot"
    So it's all regional.