What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm from Ohio. The only thing I've heard isthatwetalkreallyfast,butIdon'tthinkItalkfastatall....

You do... I know because my parents are from Ohio as well as all my extended family and I swear I'm the fastest talking Texan... and the faster I talk the more southern my accent gets... :laugh:
  • SCVSarah
    SCVSarah Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Being from California: We are all surfers (not the case) and everyone has a lot of plastic surgery (ok this one is true for many).
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    RAIN!!

Seattle gets 38 inches/year and the US average is 37. How is that so rainy?

Additionally:
    Where I work - Sequim (zip 98382), WA, gets 17 inches/year
    Where I live - Port Angeles (zip 98362), WA, gets 25 inches/year

And that doesn't even consider all those folks in eastern Washington who get to hear the rain stereotypes in a region that varies from dry pine forests to desert to grain land.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am from Quebec so (sarcasm):

1. I live in an Igloo all year round
    2. I have never seen grass
    3. I hunt for food
    4. we are all aboriginals
    5. I eat beavers and bacon for all 3 meals
    6. Hockey is our only sport
    7. I hate the rest of canada
    8. I don't speak english because i'm too stupid....

Yea...I don't speak english too. Want some poutine?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    The Show Me State sounds like it's something dirty.

Yeah. BEST STATE MOTTO EVER.
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ohio and I think a lot of people think there's nothing to do there...but WRONG! I live 20 minutes from Lake Erie, where there is boating, fishing, water sports, and the best theme park in the US--Cedar Point! Ohio also has lots of scenic areas like Hocking Hills (hiking, camping, etc), Amish country (avoid this if you don't have room in your calories for super yummy baked goods and cheeses!), not to mention some really cool shopping and things to do in Cleveland, Cincy, and Columbus. All-in-all, I think Ohio is awesome!
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Basically every stereotype Canadian's get, I've heard..... Especially the pronunciation of "about".

Whenever I hear a Canadian say 'about', it sounds more to me like "a - boat" than "a - boot"

I also notice a difference in the word "sorry" sometimes. Instead of "saw - ry" like I hear most of the time down here, I hear "sore - ry"

There're probably other subtle differences, but those're the two I keep noticing a lot!

Uhh I don't know what part of Canada you have been too, but I have never heard any one say "about" like that bud.

that's how we say it in N.S.:bigsmile:

I think every province has it's own accent sort of because ya, I've heard a few people on the East coast say it like that now that I think of it... But I sound like a hick and so do many other Alberta born Albertans haha :(

So true. I try so hard to cover it up talking to people haha
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Meh... ethnicity on this hemisphere (eg the North and Western) is almost a moot point... It's easier just to say Canadian or American... because seriously who wants to say English-Danish-Slovinian-German-Swedish... blah blah blah... or to even go even farther because technically calling yourself German or English isn't an ethnicity either... you would have to call yourself Anglo, Saxon, Jute, Celt, etc... Unless you know which tribes your ancestors came from it's just easier to describe "where you came from" by the Country you and/or your parents originated from...

Now that a damper has been placed upon a fun thread.... :grumble:

Haha seriously! If we're talking ethnicity here, I'll be here all day! It takes like a full term paper to explain my heritage...so much easier to say "I'm caucasian and I'm from Texas."

To us, Texan IS an ethnicity... :laugh:

^^^^^ So true!

When my girls were young, they used to tell people that their mom is Italian and their dad is Texan.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    RAIN!!

Seattle gets 38 inches/year and the US average is 37. How is that so rainy?

Additionally:
    Where I work - Sequim (zip 98382), WA, gets 17 inches/year
    Where I live - Port Angeles (zip 98362), WA, gets 25 inches/year

And that doesn't even consider all those folks in eastern Washington who get to hear the rain stereotypes in a region that varies from dry pine forests to desert to grain land.

Boston gets more annual precipitation than Seattle.

Last time I was in Seattle I decided the rain thing is just something they tell people to keep the non-cool people out.
  • courtney131
    Options
    I'm from Kentucky...
    and believe it or not,

I do wear shoes
    I don't have an accent
    I don't run moonshine
    I don't screw my cousin
    And that's just to mention a few haha
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I am from Ohio. The thing I hear the most is.... "Ohio....ok" I guess most people think that Ohio is boring. I'm curious to know what other people think about Ohio?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ohio!! My Dad is from Akron and I always enjoyed visiting the area as a kid. I was so excited to take my husband and kids to Ohio a couple years ago and they enjoyed it too. We have family everywhere between Uniontown and Columbus. One of the highlights of our last trip was spending a day in Put-in-Bay. Beautiful place!!! And I cannot forget "Amish country". It's one of the most beautiful areas I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. I always look forward to being in Ohio!

Love Put-in-Bay! I live 20 mins. from the lake, straight south of Port Clinton, a short boat ride to the island.

I *love* Put-Out-Bay! I mean, Put-In-Bay (another misconception. Or is it???) :wink:

No it is not a misconception! :blushing:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Minnesotans do not all sound like the people in "Fargo". I grew up in the suburbs of Minneapolis and I don't know a single person who sounds like that.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm from Chicago so EVERYONE thinks I am or I hang out with gangsters. That was 100 years ago people!

Hahah.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I'm from Kentucky...
    and believe it or not,

I do wear shoes
    I don't have an accent
    I don't run moonshine
    I don't screw my cousin
    And that's just to mention a few haha

Move to Arizona. You can marry your 1st cousin there legally.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I was raised in Utah so most people assume that I am a super religious judgmental Mormon Nerd.

but I actually like a lot of different philosophy's on life.

and I enjoy me a good beer or Scotch.
  • MMLong3996
    Options
    I am from Ohio. The thing I hear the most is.... "Ohio....ok" I guess most people think that Ohio is boring. I'm curious to know what other people think about Ohio?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ohio!! My Dad is from Akron and I always enjoyed visiting the area as a kid. I was so excited to take my husband and kids to Ohio a couple years ago and they enjoyed it too. We have family everywhere between Uniontown and Columbus. One of the highlights of our last trip was spending a day in Put-in-Bay. Beautiful place!!! And I cannot forget "Amish country". It's one of the most beautiful areas I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. I always look forward to being in Ohio!

Love Put-in-Bay! I live 20 mins. from the lake, straight south of Port Clinton, a short boat ride to the island.

Lucky you!! It was my first visit to that entire area and it was just so nice!! :)
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ohio and I think a lot of people think there's nothing to do there...but WRONG! I live 20 minutes from Lake Erie, where there is boating, fishing, water sports, and the best theme park in the US--Cedar Point! Ohio also has lots of scenic areas like Hocking Hills (hiking, camping, etc), Amish country (avoid this if you don't have room in your calories for super yummy baked goods and cheeses!), not to mention some really cool shopping and things to do in Cleveland, Cincy, and Columbus. All-in-all, I think Ohio is awesome!

And the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Minnesotans do not all sound like the people in "Fargo". I grew up in the suburbs of Minneapolis and I don't know a single person who sounds like that.

Yes. But you say (not you, just people in MN) "oh my goooodnesss" a lot. I was just there a few weeks ago and heard a lot of that.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... ethnicity on this hemisphere (eg the North and Western) is almost a moot point... It's easier just to say Canadian or American... because seriously who wants to say English-Danish-Slovinian-German-Swedish... blah blah blah... or to even go even farther because technically calling yourself German or English isn't an ethnicity either... you would have to call yourself Anglo, Saxon, Jute, Celt, etc... Unless you know which tribes your ancestors came from it's just easier to describe "where you came from" by the Country you and/or your parents originated from...

Now that a damper has been placed upon a fun thread.... :grumble:

Haha seriously! If we're talking ethnicity here, I'll be here all day! It takes like a full term paper to explain my heritage...so much easier to say "I'm caucasian and I'm from Texas."

To us, Texan IS an ethnicity... :laugh:

^^^^^ So true!

When my girls were young, they used to tell people that their mom is Italian and their dad is Texan.

:laugh: That's too cute! :flowerforyou:
  • chellk71
    chellk71 Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm from a small town on the NY (upstate) PA border. Worked my first real job in upstate NY. I'd get wow you don't have a New York accent. Well we're 4 hours from NYC. Oh then what prison are you near? : /