What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Meh... ethnicity on this hemisphere (eg the North and Western) is almost a moot point... It's easier just to say Canadian or American... because seriously who wants to say English-Danish-Slovinian-German-Swedish... blah blah blah... or to even go even farther because technically calling yourself German or English isn't an ethnicity either... you would have to call yourself Anglo, Saxon, Jute, Celt, etc... Unless you know which tribes your ancestors came from it's just easier to describe "where you came from" by the Country you and/or your parents originated from...

Now that a damper has been placed upon a fun thread.... :grumble:

Haha seriously! If we're talking ethnicity here, I'll be here all day! It takes like a full term paper to explain my heritage...so much easier to say "I'm caucasian and I'm from Texas."

Ditto....lol.... I just say I'm a mutt!
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Being from NY not UPSTATE NY, just regular NYC/LI NY lol People always think your all in the mob makes me laugh... and one thing we seem to have that we cant live down is the accent... i dont hear but im told by everyone its there lol
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    That we are all hippies...

Portland, Oregon

"the dream of the 1990s is alive in Portland"
    -Portlandia

And/or that we're liberal eccentric hipsters......... :smokin:
  • tinytubbs
    tinytubbs Posts: 54
    Options
    i am from wisconsin......"You must be a huge packer fan". i couldn't care less...lol
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    funny-map-of-massachusetts.jpg

There's a better one than this, but it cracks me up nonetheless. :)
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I am from South Florida (Palm Beach County)
    We are all surfers and BEAUTIFUL.
    We all live on the beach and even your average McDonalds employee lives in a large, open floor plan house.
    All of us have seen Cubans land on the beach, we all own Jet Skis and we are all professional off shore fisherman.

Oh.. I forgot.. now we (remove glasses) "swim with the fishes"
    YEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    Being from Illinois, everyone thinks you're from Chicago (or Chi-kaaaaaaa-go)...okay I originally am, but still! There's more to the state than the one city! I mean we have other cool things like:

Corn
    Soy Beans
    Corrupt Govenors
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    That we are all hippies...

Portland, Oregon

"the dream of the 1990s is alive in Portland"
    -Portlandia

And/or that we're liberal eccentric hipsters......... :smokin:

I feel like Portland and Austin are the same exact place, just different temperatures. Except Austinites actually are a bunch of liberal eccentric hipsters lol
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh I got one... I was talking to this guy who stated he would never visit Texas because he was a gay Jew... He literally thought we lynched people that weren't white, straight, and Christian.... :huh:

He's obviously never seen "A-List: Dallas" lol

For real... and I remember the last lynching back in the 90's and the guys that did it were almost lynched by a majority of the state themselves for doing it... :-/ Sterotypically, they were in the most hillybilly of the state... a town not too far from Louisiana... :wink:

Shoot, even Lubbock has a relatively small gay community (compared to Austin, Dallas, and Houston) that is generally left alone (as far as I know)... but it's known about...
  • sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm from Utah I've had people ask me how many wives my husband has. I don't think he could handle more than me.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am from Ohio. The thing I hear the most is.... "Ohio....ok" I guess most people think that Ohio is boring. I'm curious to know what other people think about Ohio?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ohio!! My Dad is from Akron and I always enjoyed visiting the area as a kid. I was so excited to take my husband and kids to Ohio a couple years ago and they enjoyed it too. We have family everywhere between Uniontown and Columbus. One of the highlights of our last trip was spending a day in Put-in-Bay. Beautiful place!!! And I cannot forget "Amish country". It's one of the most beautiful areas I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. I always look forward to being in Ohio!

Love Put-in-Bay! I live 20 mins. from the lake, straight south of Port Clinton, a short boat ride to the island.

I *love* Put-Out-Bay! I mean, Put-In-Bay (another misconception. Or is it???) :wink:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    From Wisconsin and everyone assumes all we have is cornfields and cows...there's much much more to this state and very beautiful. Lots of lakes, forests, hills and mountains too...but nature here is wonderful...love it.

Fellow Wisconsinite here too! Yep..people pretty much assume all we eat is cheese, brats, and beer...and we're covered in snow and cow **** most of the time. Umm...only cows I've seen were at the county fairs and we didn't even have a foot of snow this year! Oh...and since I'm from Green Bay, we're ALL Packer fans (okay...I personally can't deny this one, but not EVERYONE loves the Packers up here!).
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am Quebecer and I have no idea how we are viewed by the rest of the world since I would have to learn english :tongue:
  • jazzminx
    jazzminx Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm from Upper Michigan....yes, we have electricity, have indoor plumbing, and do indeed have roads :huh: . It's actually quite a beautiful place to live.

Are you from the UP, or northern lower peninsula? My family used to vacation all the time on the UP (NOT Mackinac Island...never been there). And it's true...all of Northern MI that I've seen has electricity, plumbing, and roads! Heck, the roads where we were are WAY nicer than the roads that I grew up on here in IN. I'd love to go back to the UP (Engadine/Naubinway/Newberry area).

Yooper all the way! I live almost all the way north in the upper peninsula, Houghton area.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    When I was young and in the service, a fellow soldier asked me where I was from. I said "Oregon." He said "But, I mean, what state?"

I was also asked if we have electricity here and if we have cars yet. Hhhmm.
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Try being from Fargo...do you have any idea how many wood chipper jokes I hear? And EVERYONE thinks i have the accent. *sighs*

bahahaha awesome.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I'm from just outside of Atlanta. I am white and people assume just b/c I am from Georgia I am raciest. Thanks goodness this is happening less and less as I get older. Last time I checked Atlanta has really become a melting pot and I have met and like many differnt people of different colors and backgrounds....that' spart of why I studies anthropology in college.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    That I watch the Office (I am from Scranton, PA)
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Basically every stereotype Canadian's get, I've heard..... Especially the pronunciation of "about".

Whenever I hear a Canadian say 'about', it sounds more to me like "a - boat" than "a - boot"

I also notice a difference in the word "sorry" sometimes. Instead of "saw - ry" like I hear most of the time down here, I hear "sore - ry"

There're probably other subtle differences, but those're the two I keep noticing a lot!

Uhh I don't know what part of Canada you have been too, but I have never heard any one say "about" like that bud.

that's how we say it in N.S.:bigsmile:
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    From Wisconsin and everyone assumes all we have is cornfields and cows...there's much much more to this state and very beautiful. Lots of lakes, forests, hills and mountains too...but nature here is wonderful...love it.

Fellow Wisconsinite here too! Yep..people pretty much assume all we eat is cheese, brats, and beer...and we're covered in snow and cow **** most of the time. Umm...only cows I've seen were at the county fairs and we didn't even have a foot of snow this year! Oh...and since I'm from Green Bay, we're ALL Packer fans (okay...I personally can't deny this one, but not EVERYONE loves the Packers up here!).

I don't know.....I'm from Wisconsin and I eat a lot of brats, and drink a lot of beer, and like the Packers. I love living in Wisconsin! Maybe the rumors are true!