Options
    That we are all hippies...

Portland, Oregon

"the dream of the 1990s is alive in Portland"
    -Portlandia
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Dude.. You can't be "half Canadian". Canada is a multicultural society.....

Well I'm 50% Canadian. And 50% Russian. I'm a US Born person but tell it to my parent's that I can't be half Canadian. They will be interested to hear what you have to say.

Canadian isn't an ethnicity you idiot -.-

My maternal side is....

"French Canadian or Francophone Canadian (also Canadien in Canadian English or in French) generally refers to the descendents of French colonists who arrived in New France (Canada) in the 17th and 18th centuries. Today, French Canadians constitute the main French-speaking population of Canada."

I have strong French-Canadian ancestry on my mother's side....so what does that mean? huh. And name calling really? Thought Canadians were supposed to be nice - what's that aboot 'eh?
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I am originally from Newfoundland Canada and have been asked numerous times if I lived in igloos, was a fisherperson and if I know so and so from PEI...2 seperate provinces people...

I do however, have the CDN accent when it comes to out and about, and house :happy:

PEI... Well the East coast part of Canada has the best accents lol... I've from Alberta and I sound like a hick sometimes haha :(
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I live in Alaska and I still get asked how the heat from my wood stove doesnt melt the igloo I live in
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    OKAY I GOT IT. SO SHOULD I SAY THIS:

"I'm 50% that country to the North. They prefer I not say that I'm 50% Canadian. I think they are just being *kitten* about it"
    Kinda think you're missing her point. She's saying that a country is not the same thing as an ethnicity.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Well I'm 50% Canadian. And 50% Russian. I'm a US Born person but tell it to my parent's that I can't be half Canadian. They will be interested to hear what you have to say.

My maternal side is....

"French Canadian or Francophone Canadian (also Canadien in Canadian English or in French) generally refers to the descendents of French colonists who arrived in New France (Canada) in the 17th and 18th centuries. Today, French Canadians constitute the main French-speaking population of Canada."

I have strong French-Canadian ancestry on my mother's side....so what does that mean? huh. And name calling really? Thought Canadians were supposed to be nice - what's that aboot 'eh?

So back to my question? I'm 50% Russian and 50% of my blood is CANADIAN. What is the correct way to phrase this?
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Cleveland, Ohio. The Cleveland Browns. 'Nuff said.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

My maternal side is....

Then, you're half French.
  • stephk19
    stephk19 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    From South Yorkshire in the UK, apparently it means i have to be a farmer
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Most people think that all of Kanas is completely flat but actually Eastern Kansas (East of Wichita) is very hilly and beautiful because we are so close to the Ozarks. If you've never seen the Flint Hills in KS you are really missing out.

I live in the part of Kansas that is completely flat, but no we don't have Native Americans riding the range looking to take our scalps. I don't know how many times I have been asked that when people find out where I live.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I am originally from Newfoundland Canada and have been asked numerous times if I lived in igloos, was a fisherperson and if I know so and so from PEI...2 seperate provinces people...

I do however, have the CDN accent when it comes to out and about, and house :happy:

PEI... Well the East coast part of Canada has the best accents lol... I've from Alberta and I sound like a hick sometimes haha :(

So you must work on the oil rigs eh?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are a lot of misconceptions about Massachusetts. ;)
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Harsh, but...lmao.

OKAY I GOT IT. SO SHOULD I SAY THIS:

"I'm 50% that country to the North. They prefer I not say that I'm 50% Canadian. I think they are just being *kitten* about it"

The part of you that is Canadian... Where did those people come from.. Another poster said they had French Canadian ancestry.. That is more of a correct term of saying it.......

I'm sorry for calling you an idiot :(
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am from Western Massachusetts! People automatically assume when I say I am from Mass that I live "in Boston" - no actually there is a whole other side of the state. Then I get "so do you go to Boston a lot"- nope, not every weekend, because its still about 1.5-2 hours down the Pike from me, lol.

I also get "oh wow, you don't have a Boston accent- are you not originally from Ma?"- Not everyone in this state has a Boston accent- I pretty much do not have any accent at all.. now the further east you go, you hit Worcester with their weird accents, and then Boston- I live in an accent free zone!

Also get made fun of for using the word "wicked". Example: It's wicked nice out today! or That's wicked awesome.
  • charc16
    charc16 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Connecticut and am living in Colorado. When meeting people I have actually been asked "Oh, so you're super rich, huh?" People also comment on how you can tell people are from the East Coast because they are b*tches and stuck up. Oh, how I miss it there (but not enough to move back :) )
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm from Massachusetts!! not everyone here is a mass hole... :P

Yep. But don't tell that to people in Maine. I spend 2 weekends per month there.

LOL.

It took 3 years for my neighbors in Maine to stop following us up the Mountain (house is 1 mile in from the road). We'll always be 'from away' to them. And also, my next door neighbor in Maine is from 1.5 hours south and he's still considered an outsider. Maine's a special place but to Mainers in the town we stay in (600 person town) we will always be outsiders. And Massholes.

True. You could move here permanently, have kids here, and your kids wouldn't even be Mainers. Tim Sample has a skit about that...

I do believe that my generation is somewhat better about this. Old Mainers like my dad...not so much.
  • darthbambi
    Options
    I'm from Austria. The two major misconceptions about this place are:
    - we wear Lederhosen, we communicate by yodeling, and we're all mountain farmers.
    - Austria is where the kangaroos live.
  • wvtracyann
    wvtracyann Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from West (by God) Virginia...DO you know how much S&%T I have taken?? First of all...its a completely different state from Virginia...Ever go to school and learn there are 50 not 49 states?? Oh yeah, and I don't love my brothers...or cousins, or anyone else related to me in that way...I wear shoes and I have all of my teeth. And no, I don't live in a trailer with a still out back...UGGH! I love my state!! Please don't knock it!

Me too!!!! and just because I have a twang doesn't make my IQ drop to zero
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    All of the perceptions about Minnesota are pretty accurate.

We do talk like the actors in the movie "Fargo." Albeit to different degrees. Ya Ubetcha!

We really are the nicest people you'll ever meet.

We'll never take the last piece of anything, that would be rude.

Between the months of October and May, we never drive any where without an extra coat, mittens, stocking cap, blanket, flashlight, food, jumper cables, water, kitty litter, flares, and a shovel in the back of your car.

Charitable pancake "feeds" are a staple in our diet. I have some tickets to sell BTW.

Your family has to own a truck, to tow the boat.

We start wearing shorts when it reaches 50 degrees farenheit. SO WARM!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I am from Western Massachusetts! People automatically assume when I say I am from Mass that I live "in Boston" - no actually there is a whole other side of the state. Then I get "so do you go to Boston a lot"- nope, not every weekend, because its still about 1.5-2 hours down the Pike from me, lol.

I also get "oh wow, you don't have a Boston accent- are you not originally from Ma?"- Not everyone in this state has a Boston accent- I pretty much do not have any accent at all.. now the further east you go, you hit Worcester with their weird accents, and then Boston- I live in an accent free zone!

Also get made fun of for using the word "wicked". Example: It's wicked nice out today! or That's wicked awesome.

Western MA doesn't count. It's like a part of NY :laugh: :laugh: