What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    That our state is completely flat and is nothing but a bunch of cornfields. (I'm from Nebraska)
    ahahaha. THIS! I'm not from nebraska but I get the same misconception about where I live. :P
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am from Ohio. The thing I hear the most is.... "Ohio....ok" I guess most people think that Ohio is boring. I'm curious to know what other people think about Ohio?

I think what I've heard about OH is that the nightlife shuts down early. A lot of places not open late at night...something about Cleveland being dead after work hours.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'm from Massachusetts!! not everyone here is a mass hole... :P
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I grew up outside of Orlando, Florida.

I always get, "You must have gone to Disney every day!!!!"

No, I went maybe twice, and I hated it.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    "You were born in Florida? Nobody is born in Florida!" I am a fourth generation Floridian and counting. Somehow we are only seen as a mecca for Mickey Mouse, cruises, and the beach.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Flint, Michigan area. The first thing people ask is... "Wow. Have you ever shot someone?"

Lord have mercy. Not everyone here kill people as a favorite past time. And yes, we are fully aware of the areas in which we should go at night and where we shouldn't go - and if you visit, I will be sure to tell you.
  • jazzminx
    jazzminx Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm from Upper Michigan....yes, we have electricity, have indoor plumbing, and do indeed have roads :huh: . It's actually quite a beautiful place to live.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I haven'r really run into anyone who assumes stereotypes, but my husband does make fun of me for being a Southern California girl. I'm not a total valley girl and I don't say "like" every other word, but I do speak with that specific inflection. I also apparently over-pronounce words.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    that we all drive convertibles-wear bikinis and act like movie stars!

(if anyone actually gets this I will be slightly impressed)
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I live in Pittsburgh...and I have zero interest in sports...don't follow the Steelers, Pirates, Pens, Penn State, Pitt...

I am probably the only one in the city.

And they let you stay? :laugh: I was born in Homested and moved to Ohio when I was 4. I love the accent all my relatives have.
  • Onesnap
    Options

By the way... if I couldn't live in Texas or in the midwest where our family is.. Boston is probably the only other place I would live... I love it there. Even if y'all do forget your "r's" sometimes... :wink:

That's another misconception. Not all people from Massachusetts have the accent.

We're only mean to Yankee's fans, btw.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Basically every stereotype Canadian's get, I've heard..... Especially the pronunciation of "about".

Whenever I hear a Canadian say 'about', it sounds more to me like "a - boat" than "a - boot"

I also notice a difference in the word "sorry" sometimes. Instead of "saw - ry" like I hear most of the time down here, I hear "sore - ry"

There're probably other subtle differences, but those're the two I keep noticing a lot!
  • nikkifk
    nikkifk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I come from a small market town in the north of England. Everyone thinks I'm going to be thick and living on benefits, in reality I have two degrees and am a highly skilled professional.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Im from Jersey..enough said..dont get me started..LOL
    Me too, between Jersey shore and our big mouth Guv'na... REal Jersey is beaches, mountains, lakes, shopping, awesome schools, and a "we don't put with crap attitude." (with some pharmaceutical co. and oil refineries thrown in for good measure.) Jersey's go it all.
  • mikonei
    mikonei Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Everyone in Connecticut is rich and stuck up.... except for Bridgeport. Family Guy let everyone know that Bridgeport is among the world leaders in abandoned buildings, broken glass, wild dogs, and gas stations without pumps. lol
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm from upstate New York. Way upstate. In the Adirondacks. It's absolutely the boondocks up here. Anytime I'm traveling and I tell someone I'm from New York, I get, "What was it like to grow up in such a big city?" Or, "wow, the big apple!" Or something along those lines. New York is a lot more than just New York City.

Same here...upstate NY! Not quite as far up. I leave in the burbs close to a city. Other than thinking NYC I don't know what people think! REALLY OUTRAGEOUS TAXES maybe? Lol!
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    What is the biggest misconception about where you are from?

Being born and raised an Okie, a lot of people outside of here assume I am some ignorant, bible thumpin, gun tote'n, red neck and I just can't undersand where that comes from as I have never thumped a bible in my life. :bigsmile:

However, I don't worry about it because once most people come here they learn we are some of the nicest people around. Oh, and they also learn we don't all own horses and wear cowboy boots and hats.

Umm, guilty! I'm an okie too and except for the ignorant part (I think) I do kind of fit that stereotype! :) Redhwak games are awesome fun for the family and GO POKES!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I'm from Massachusetts!! not everyone here is a mass hole... :P

Yep. But don't tell that to people in Maine. I spend 2 weekends per month there.
  • Selah37
    Selah37 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ya, I thought all of NY was a city until after high school. lol, I guess that's all you see on tv. I met friends from Rochester who taught me different.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Them: "Where are you from?"
    Me: "Kansas City"
    Them: "Oh, Kansas! Where's Toto, Dorothy??!!"

#1. I'm from Kansas City, MISSOURI. #2. No, I don't live on a farm, own cattle, or have ever been swooped up by a tornado...

YES! Me too! LOL. We are from the Show me State, not Wizard of Oz.

THANK YOU!!