What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• aelarek
    aelarek Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Idaho. Biggest misconception is that we are all hillbilly uneducated Podunk white power potato farmers who still live off the land, and carry guns and dogs in our passenger seat.
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm from York (in England) and because its in Yorkshire people seem to think that we all wear flat caps and say "eeee by gum" and all live on farms and drive tractors. Either that, or people think you are really really common and live in a hovel... York is one of the poshest places to live in the country!

The other annoying thing about York is that because its such a tourist hotspot any time you say when you're from York people say "ooooh York! I went to visit York in..." and then go on to tell me a really cliche boring story about what they did in York that I have heard a million times before and, to be frank, really dont care about!

And if you speak to anybody from the US, they say "oh, New York!" ...Er no... just regular York...
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    Everyone thinks Wisconsin is just cows, corn fields, and CHEESE! I think I got asked 15 times on spring break if I like cheese...lol
  • jackiesaurus
    jackiesaurus Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm blonde and from LA, and I grew up in "the valley" (think Frank Zappa Valley Girl or the Valley Girl Nicholas Cage movie from the eighties) and I do have a tendency to say things like "like, ohmygod, totally, no freakin way."
    However, I'm actually not an idiot and have a Biology degree and work full time as a field consultant and it blows people out of the water. It's the worst when I travel up north or out of state.
    "oh, where's Wes?"
    "He's my manager. I'm the consultant that will be assisting you today."
    "Oh wow, yeah... we were expecting like, a guy in overalls, i mean...you must get that a lot."
    and when I travel people always ask if I know any celebrities, if I've had any work done, and why don't I fake tan.
  • diadori
    diadori Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if Maryland has any stereotypes or misconceptions. :laugh:
  • clouxles
    clouxles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Igloos and Eskimos (now called Inuits) ... not bad eh?
  • dj_phx
    dj_phx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Them: "Where are you from?"
    Me: "Kansas City"
    Them: "Oh, Kansas! Where's Toto, Dorothy??!!"

#1. I'm from Kansas City, MISSOURI. #2. No, I don't live on a farm, own cattle, or have ever been swooped up by a tornado...

I get that line too, but because my name is Dorothy =) You've got to love originality.

I'm from Phoenix, AZ and people usually just want to talk about how hot it is here when they hear that. Which really, most of the year it is pretty hot. =)
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm from Chicago so EVERYONE thinks I am or I hang out with gangsters. That was 100 years ago people!
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    They either go on about janteloven or ask me to pronounce Rødgrød med fløde or say something along the lines of "that's in germany right? "
  • itsalaina
    itsalaina Posts: 27
    Options
    Born and raised in Seattle, WA

I drink coffee, wear flannel on occasion, and I like rock music.

so what? hahaha
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Northern California... everyone thinks we are liberal, peace loving, open-minded pot heads.

Oh wait - that's not entirely a misconception. :glasses:
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin....we all drink (ok, fine, I do) and we all sound like we are from Fargo. Supposedly.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Orange County, CA. Biggest misconception is that the weather here is great. The weather here is the absolute best in the country and it isn't even close. It makes swallowing 10% State Income tax, 9+% Sales Tax much easier.
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    When I say Maryland..people think I live in DC. No I am 90 miles south east of DC.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Try being from Fargo...do you have any idea how many wood chipper jokes I hear? And EVERYONE thinks i have the accent. *sighs*

THIS!

You must be from Minnesota too, huh?

LOL yup, wouldn't trade it for the world.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin....we all drink (ok, fine, I do) and we all sound like we are from Fargo. Supposedly.

hey now...no Fargo jokes
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas, so automatically I carry a gun ( though I am working on my CHL ), I wear cowboy boots ( ok, I do ), that I own cattle ( I don't ), and that I have an oil rig in my backyard ( I wish! )
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm from south-central Pennsylvania. SOME people (I won't mention any names) ask me if I speak Pennsylvania Dutch or drive a horse and buggy. And, for the record, I don't do either.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm from Pittsburgh. When I tell people this they often bring up the Steelers, as well they should. But then sometimes they act like some other football team that they like is better. I feel bad, but they need to be corrected.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Here in Boston people think we're mean and horrible drivers.

Truth be told we're nice to people we *actually* like and our driving skills are better than some parts of the US (we also use our middle finger a lot when driving)