What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh I got one... I was talking to this guy who stated he would never visit Texas because he was a gay Jew... He literally thought we lynched people that weren't white, straight, and Christian.... :huh:
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    That Maine is
    A. Part of Canada. Nope, last time I checked, we're still a state.
    B. Similar to Antarctica in temperature and always covered in snow.

-or-

C. We all talk like "Downeastahs" or characters from Stephen King movies.
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    I'm from Pittsburgh. When I tell people this they often bring up the Steelers, as well they should. But then sometimes they act like some other football team that they like is better. I feel bad, but they need to be corrected.

Me too :). Thanks to Wiz Khalifa (rapper), people probably think we all smoke weed. Some people have said that Pittsburgh is a little like the west coast. I've also had people ask me if I'm from the south (I've never lived there and I don't think I sound like I do but whatever). We also have our own language lol. No serously, there are words that I'm sure no one else in the world says.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    well TN I guess country, but I live in Memphis, so they think we're all just loud and dangerous, which isn't ALL the way true. I love my city, and actually feel very safe.

we have a lot of issues that haven't been sorted through because of a corrupt government and old racial tensions, and bad business decisions.

but overall it's not a bad place to live.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am from "The Capital of the Confederacy" aka Richmond, Va and everyone thinks we are super Southern, I don't own a truck, shotgun nor have I ever been hunting. Though I do have a bit of a twang on certain words.

edit: people also think you will get killed if you walk around at night... not nessecarily a misconception. I still don't go out at night alone and I live in a part of town that has waaay less violent crime.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm from New Jersey :(

The 'guido' type is def a minority here and yet the stereotype persists.... I hate when I go traveling and people find out I'm from NJ. That show has given the whole state a bad rep :(

My family goes back 4 generations in NJ. Not one of us sounds like anyone on a "Jersey" show. My guess is the average resident is too boring, too nondescript -- so they get these crazy clowns from surrounding states and call it "Jersey".

The other stereotype is that New Jersey is full of industrial factories. Our industrial section is located on a major interstate, near the harbor -- which means it's the first area you see when you leave NYC. Most of NJ is suburban and rural. Where I live, people have horse farms, keep cattle and have orchards. Hot-air ballooning is popular around here, and from the highway you can see 4-5 flying in the evening on your way home from work. We also have lakes, rivers, mountains and farms - and yes, the shore.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm from Upper Michigan....yes, we have electricity, have indoor plumbing, and do indeed have roads :huh: . It's actually quite a beautiful place to live.

Are you from the UP, or northern lower peninsula? My family used to vacation all the time on the UP (NOT Mackinac Island...never been there). And it's true...all of Northern MI that I've seen has electricity, plumbing, and roads! Heck, the roads where we were are WAY nicer than the roads that I grew up on here in IN. I'd love to go back to the UP (Engadine/Naubinway/Newberry area).
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Basically every stereotype Canadian's get, I've heard..... Especially the pronunciation of "about".

Whenever I hear a Canadian say 'about', it sounds more to me like "a - boat" than "a - boot"

I also notice a difference in the word "sorry" sometimes. Instead of "saw - ry" like I hear most of the time down here, I hear "sore - ry"

There're probably other subtle differences, but those're the two I keep noticing a lot!

Uhh I don't know what part of Canada you have been too, but I have never heard any one say "about" like that bud.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    That Maine is
    A. Part of Canada. Nope, last time I checked, we're still a state.
    B. Similar to Antarctica in temperature and always covered in snow.

-or-

C. We all talk like "Downeastahs" or characters from Steven King movies.

Feel free to friend me. I spend a LOT of time in Maine (we manage a rental property and built a home in Maine). :)
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'm from Massachusetts!! not everyone here is a mass hole... :P

Yep. But don't tell that to people in Maine. I spend 2 weekends per month there.

LOL.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Uhh I don't know what part of Canada you have been too, but I have never heard any one say it like that bud.

I'm half Canadian and I can tell you they do not say 'about' normally.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Im from Jersey..enough said..dont get me started..LOL

I live in jersey lol, but from NY so I get both kind of jokes
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Everyone assumes that people from Colorado are all Subaru-driving, mountain-biking, pot-smoking hippies. Which is not true.... we also drink a lot of beer.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if Maryland has any stereotypes or misconceptions. :laugh:

Nope just that we eat a TONNNNN of crabs (take that how you wish lol)

And being so close to DC, I always get asked if I've been to every single museum, monument, or the White House... every single time. :grumble:
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I am from Nottingham in the Uk more known nowadays as Shot-tingham because of how rough it has become.
    Years ago it used to be fine lol x
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

By the way... if I couldn't live in Texas or in the midwest where our family is.. Boston is probably the only other place I would live... I love it there. Even if y'all do forget your "r's" sometimes... :wink:

That's another misconception. Not all people from Massachusetts have the accent.

We're only mean to Yankee's fans, btw.

I was working with a company up near Lowell for the summer... and no lie, one of the conversations that was going on during lunch was the northern Mass. people saying how the "Boston accent" annoys them (ie the lack of "r's") because it makes them all sound stupid....
  • Selah37
    Selah37 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That Floridians aren't "Southern". People who move here or visit stay on the beach and never move inland and then say there's nothing Southern about the state. That's like me going to Atlanta and sayin Georgia ain't Southern. It just depends on where you go- also North and South Fl are as opposite as the N and S poles.
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    Lmao!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I'm from Massachusetts!! not everyone here is a mass hole... :P

Yep. But don't tell that to people in Maine. I spend 2 weekends per month there.

LOL.

It took 3 years for my neighbors in Maine to stop following us up the Mountain (house is 1 mile in from the road). We'll always be 'from away' to them. And also, my next door neighbor in Maine is from 1.5 hours south and he's still considered an outsider. Maine's a special place but to Mainers in the town we stay in (600 person town) we will always be outsiders. And Massholes.
  • mmgomez28
    mmgomez28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Customer: "So, where are you from?"
    Me: "Puerto Rico"
    Customer (speaking super slowly): "So, do you need a work visa to work here?"
    Me (Rolling eyes): No, sir, I am an American Citizen, therefore I do not need a work visa to work in Florida."

I hate that question with such a passion.