What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm half Canadian and I can tell you they do not say 'about' normally.

Dude.. You can't be "half Canadian". Canada is a multicultural society.....

And I'm Canadian. I don't say it like that.

Unless your born right on the border! :laugh:

For Goodness sake. If I'm not half Canadian what the eff is the other 50% of me. What is the POLITICALLY correct way to say that half of my heritage is half Canadian?

I would go with North American....can't go wrong! :bigsmile:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    OKAY I GOT IT. SO SHOULD I SAY THIS:

"I'm 50% that country to the North. They prefer I not say that I'm 50% Canadian. I think they are just being *kitten* about it"
    Kinda think you're missing her point. She's saying that a country is not the same thing as an ethnicity.

Typically the way I phrase it is "well, 50% of my heritage comes from Canada. There's even a little Native American mixed in"

BETTER???

I'm not an idiot, btw. I'm just asking what is the RIGHT way to say it because a good chunk of New Englanders have Canadian blood in them. RACE or NATION I don't give a flying ****.
    Do you need a nap?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas. Where should I even begin???

-That we ride horses everywhere. I drive a car, thanks.

-That we are all uneducated hillbillies. I went to college and am mulling over the idea of getting my MBA in Business.

-That we all have guns. Ok, this one is KINDA true, every family has at least one hunter, but I don't own a gun. I could never go hunting, I cried once when I hit a squirrel with my car and had to pull over because I was so upset.

-That we're all a bunch of Bible toting conservatives. This one makes me laugh especially...because I live in Austin. One of the most liberal cities you could ever find, while still having it's southern Texas charm. I mean, we recently held a parade and declared a holiday for a homeless drag queen who passed away (he was an Austin icon, everybody here knew and loved Leslie). In fact, our city's slogan is "Keep Austin Weird." We have a place by the lake called "Hippie Hollow" where nudity is mandatory. We're also referred to as the "San Francisco of the South" because we are so incredibly GLBT friendly (Austin---not the rest of Texas).

Man, I know there have got to be more...

And before somebody tells me Texan isn't an ethnicity...duh. But it's the great state where I was born and raised and I'm as proud as I can be to be a Texan!
  • gapm
    gapm Posts: 48
    Options
    That our state is completely flat and is nothing but a bunch of cornfields. (I'm from Nebraska)
    I-80 does very little to dispel that misconception since it goes across what must be the flattest part of Nebraska past a lot of corn fields. That is the route most people travel.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... ethnicity on this hemisphere (eg the North and Western) is almost a moot point... It's easier just to say Canadian or American... because seriously who wants to say English-Danish-Slovinian-German-Swedish... blah blah blah... or to even go even farther because technically calling yourself German or English isn't an ethnicity either... you would have to call yourself Anglo, Saxon, Jute, Celt, etc... Unless you know which tribes your ancestors came from it's just easier to describe "where you came from" by the Country you and/or your parents originated from...

Now that a damper has been placed upon a fun thread.... :grumble:
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am originally from Newfoundland Canada and have been asked numerous times if I lived in igloos, was a fisherperson and if I know so and so from PEI...2 seperate provinces people...

I do however, have the CDN accent when it comes to out and about, and house :happy:

PEI... Well the East coast part of Canada has the best accents lol... I've from Alberta and I sound like a hick sometimes haha :(

So you must work on the oil rigs eh?

Haha! its true... more then half the men in my family work on the rigs and I work for an oil company, just not on the rig!
    And i am a born and raised Calgarian. Some how people find that fantisizing...
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I'm originally from Littleton, Colorado so I used to get a lot of "did you go to Columbine". I was a sophomore at a different high school in the same county that year.
    I lived in Jersey for five years. Plenty has already been said about that.
    Now I live in Waco, as in the David Karesh compound, but technically that is not within Waco city limits.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I am from Western Massachusetts! People automatically assume when I say I am from Mass that I live "in Boston" - no actually there is a whole other side of the state. Then I get "so do you go to Boston a lot"- nope, not every weekend, because its still about 1.5-2 hours down the Pike from me, lol.

I also get "oh wow, you don't have a Boston accent- are you not originally from Ma?"- Not everyone in this state has a Boston accent- I pretty much do not have any accent at all.. now the further east you go, you hit Worcester with their weird accents, and then Boston- I live in an accent free zone!

Also get made fun of for using the word "wicked". Example: It's wicked nice out today! or That's wicked awesome.

Western MA doesn't count. It's like a part of NY :laugh: :laugh:
    Actually it's nothing like NY, but thanks for playing.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm from New York City...I travel a lot and when I do, people seem excited when I say where I'm from, because it's well known and they love it. None of it really pisses me off at all. People think we're rude, but we're not, we're just busy and we sure as hell get rude if you and your family are standing five across on a crowding sidewalk when people are trying to get past you and get to work!

More specifically, I am originally from Staten Island (now live in Brooklyn), which everyone in NYC makes fun of...we are the red headed step child of New York City, haha. The stereotype is whiny accents, LOVE drama, Italian Princess, too much time in the tanning salon...three Jersey Shore cast members are from Staten island, put it that way. OYYY. Sadly, most of it's true. Not for everyone--I don't fit the stereotype (except for the Italian part) and when I tell people I am from SI they invariably say "ooh, really? But you don't seem like it..."--but, many people on that Island fit the mold. It's an...odd place.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    This is so funny because I am from Saint Louis, Missouri and I don't have a clue what the misconceptions are about us "St. Louisians"............I've tried and tried to think of something.......Any ideas??

St Lousisans all say "hrrrr" instead of "here" and "lard" instead of "lord". They shop at Schnucks. They think they're either super rich when they're not or super gangster when they're not.

At least, that's what I gather....
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I'm originally from Littleton, Colorado so I used to get a lot of "did you go to Columbine". I was a sophomore at a different high school in the same county that year.
    So it's not a misconception, then, but just a valid question?
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are a lot of misconceptions about Massachusetts. ;)

:laugh:

p.s. I am a total a** hole and I have a wicked accent... :wink: jk... hmmm... not really :smokin:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

The part of you that is Canadian... Where did those people come from.. Another poster said they had French Canadian ancestry.. That is more of a correct term of saying it.......

I'm sorry for calling you an idiot :(

Apology accepted.

The ancestors I have slept with a whole bunch of Native Americans (or is it Native Canadians) in the French section of Canada. (where people from France settled technically).

I still can't think of a politically correct way to say the French Canadians (or French French as someone pointed out) mixed with the Indian tribes up there.
  • MMLong3996
    Options
    I am from Ohio. The thing I hear the most is.... "Ohio....ok" I guess most people think that Ohio is boring. I'm curious to know what other people think about Ohio?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ohio!! My Dad is from Akron and I always enjoyed visiting the area as a kid. I was so excited to take my husband and kids to Ohio a couple years ago and they enjoyed it too. We have family everywhere between Uniontown and Columbus. One of the highlights of our last trip was spending a day in Put-in-Bay. Beautiful place!!! And I cannot forget "Amish country". It's one of the most beautiful areas I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. I always look forward to being in Ohio!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I am originally from Newfoundland Canada and have been asked numerous times if I lived in igloos, was a fisherperson and if I know so and so from PEI...2 seperate provinces people...

I do however, have the CDN accent when it comes to out and about, and house :happy:

PEI... Well the East coast part of Canada has the best accents lol... I've from Alberta and I sound like a hick sometimes haha :(

Haha! its true... more then half the men in my family work on the rigs and I work for an oil company, just not on the rig!

Oh I know...my step-daughter lives in Edmonton.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options

It really is true haha :(. Same with my family. Eventually I shall probably work in that field too.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Texas and live in Utah. There are big misconceptions about both places. Utah is more than a bunch of small-minded mormons. Texas is more than a bunch of gun-toting badasses... wait, no, that's right about Texas. :wink:
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if Maryland has any stereotypes or misconceptions. :laugh:

yes that the state where they pretend to win the lottery.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    From Wisconsin and everyone assumes all we have is cornfields and cows...there's much much more to this state and very beautiful. Lots of lakes, forests, hills and mountains too...but nature here is wonderful...love it.

Here here! Wisconsin is beautiful! I'm from central...potato fields and cows. lol People think being from a small town that some of of are white trash, but I'd certainly like to think I am not...
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options

The part of you that is Canadian... Where did those people come from.. Another poster said they had French Canadian ancestry.. That is more of a correct term of saying it.......

I'm sorry for calling you an idiot :(

Apology accepted.

The ancestors I have slept with a whole bunch of Native Americans (or is it Native Canadians) in the French section of Canada. (where people from France settled technically).

I still can't think of a politically correct way to say the French Canadians (or French French as someone pointed out) mixed with the Indian tribes up there.

Metis :)