being late

Options
johnlatv
johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
I hate when people are late. I think it's a sign of disrespect towards the other person, like your time is more important. Don't get me wrong i understand traffic, or things like that.

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you.

I am never, ever EVER late. I am always early. We always take into consideration traffic, some unexpected event happening, getting lost etc.

It annoys the crap out of me when people are late. We used to have friends that were always at the least a half hour late. One time when we were getting together with them we figured we'd trick them and tell them to be at our house an hour earlier than we wanted them there and they were STILL late!

If you tell me to be at a certain place at 5 p.m. I'm there at 4:45.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I as well don't like when myself or other people are late. I believe you should arrive at 10 minutes early to any appointment/important thing you have to attend.

And yes of course stuff happens where you are late once in a while... All the time is no no though.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I'm never late. I arrive when I intend to arrive.
    -wtk
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    I was raised in the belief that if you aren't five minutes early then you're late! It drives me nuts when people run late.
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I agree. When I was a kid my mom was constantly late for everything so as an adult I am obsessively EARLY for everything. Haha.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I disagree. As somebody who is late ALL THE FREAKING TIME, it has nothing to do with me thinking my time is more valuable, and honestly, I feel REALLY bad when I'm late to things. I agonize over it and stress over it and call/text like a million times. Now, I'm not like a 30 minutes late kinda person, usually like 10 minutes or so, but it seems as though being on time is just one of those things I can almost never do.

Or, here is what happens with me. I know I'm late all the time for something, so I say "ok self, you're leaving way early this time so you can't be late!" So then I get to whatever it is like half an hour early or something. So the next time I say "ok self, you don't need to leave quite as early, but definitely earlier than usual" and somehow, I'm still 10 minutes late. It's usually not so bad if I don't have anybody else to worry about, but if I'm getting myself ready, my 5 year old ready and dropped off somewhere, or something like that...I almost can never get it together and be on time. The only exception where I am NEVER late is when it's something like a doctor's appointment or these 6am meetings we have at my work. But I'm not on time--I'm almost always about 30 minutes early because the paranoia of being late sets in.

Think what you want, but I'm not a selfish person, nor is it any kind of disrespect. It's actually become endearing to my friends and family, because they expect it now. Timing has never been my thing :( Plus, where I live, traffic is like shooting craps. Ask anybody from Austin and they'll know what I'm talking about. A trip around the corner can take 5 minutes or 30. It's always a gamble!
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    I'm never late. I arrive when I intend to arrive.
    -wtk

YES!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't even understand being late because of traffic unless it's something unforeseen, like getting stuck behind a wreck. You should be familiar enough with the traffic patterns in your area to know how early to leave for a date/meeting/appointment.

I'm always 10 to 15 minutes early for everything, except in cases where it would be rude, like a party at someone's home. If I'm ever late to meet you, you should call my mom because I'm probably dead.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm always the nutjob who shows up 20-30 minutes early for a dr. appointment. Hate being late. That's not to say that I'm NEVER late for anything. Can't be spot-on 100%!
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    i was raised if you are not there 15 min prior your late. Semper Fi. On the other hand you could look at it that they are early for tomorrow.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Punctuality is sexy.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    I don't even understand being late because of traffic unless it's something unforeseen, like getting stuck behind a wreck. You should be familiar enough with the traffic patterns in your area to know how early to leave for a date/meeting/appointment.

I'm always 10 to 15 minutes early for everything, except in cases where it would be rude, like a party at someone's home. If I'm ever late to meet you, you should call my mom because I'm probably dead.

Really? You're psychic and predict traffic accidents? I wish I had that power.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I swear I have never been late for anything. It's my thing... I panic if I feel like I won't be at least 10 minutes early for anything.
  • mcgwnkrista
    Options
    I know of several people who haven't gotten past the first interview at a job because they arrived late. My boss even told me that a woman arrived late to an interview and then later made a comment about her qualities and being on time/prompt was one of the ones she listed. Ridiculous! My belief is that if you arrive at the exact time you said you'd get there, you're still late. I pride myself on arriving at least 5 minutes early where ever I go and set aside 20-30 minutes of driving time for anything more than 8 miles away.

I think a lot of it has to do with me having a friend who always arrived anywhere from 30-60 minutes late regardless of the importance that she arrive on time, I saw it as disrespectful and just a complete annoyance.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I agree, I find those that are cronically late A) bad at time management and B) disrepectful. And they always have an excuse like "traffic was SO BAD." Unless there is an emergency, there is NO excuse for being late except for poor planning. EVERYONE has the same amount of hours in a day and EVERYONE is busy. Thinking you are the exception that you "just can't" be on time and are therefore somehow special is self-centered and delusional.

However, keep in mind the acceptability of lateness is largely a cultural thing, so take this into consideration before someone offends you without intending to.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Me too! Drives me crazy. In fact, although I like to work out with other people I can't stand having to wait for them so I work out alone more than I do with other people. Time is money! LOL
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm not like a 30 minutes late kinda person, usually like 10 minutes or so, but it seems as though being on time is just one of those things I can almost never do.

This is where the term "ish" comes into play. If you were to tell me you were going to arrive some place around 5"ish" I would know that meant between 5 and 5:15 so no worries.
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am totally almost always late. Even if I plan on getting there early. Something always happens something always comes up. I always show up but never on the dot. (im not saying drastically late) I always joke that they should bring in my coffin after everyone has arrived and is waiting since "i'll be late to my own funeral". It is not out of disrespect or thinking my time is more important i'm just chronically late. I don't know why I have tried the waking up earlier going to bed early. Just is what it is.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I HATE when that freekin TOM is late! *kitten* scares the *kitten* out of me!
    Wait...... not that kind of late.....**runs off**
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    stuff happens, especially when you throw kids in the mix. I try my darndest to be early, if not on time to everything, but sometimes life gets in the way. I assure you I am not, nor do I think my time is more important or valuable than anyone else's.