Eat the WHOLE Egg!!!

Options

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Gotta raise your own. Its easy. We have five now and way more eggs than my family can eat. They get to free range the yard during the day and get all the bugs and sunshine they can find. The yolks are almost orange. That being said I still dont always eat the yolks. I usually have three egg whites and then one whole egg. If I always ate the yolks I would be over on calories. The dogs love the yolks we dont eat.

ChickenTractor-1.jpg
  • shoosh413
    shoosh413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    anyone try this with eggs??

Position the oven racks in the center of the oven.
    Place the eggs on the racks.
    Place a baking sheet pan in the bottom of the oven (just in case an egg breaks).
    Set the oven to 325F, and bake for 30 minutes.
    When the eggs are done, fill a large bowl with ice water and move the eggs into the bowl.
    Peel the eggs as soon as they're cool enough to handle, then return them to the ice water to thoroughly chill.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/hard-cooked-eggs-in-the-oven-baked-eggs-61856#ixzz1rm0kaXVd
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    Gotta raise your own. Its easy. We have five now and way more eggs than my family can eat. They get to free range the yard during the day and get all the bugs and sunshine they can find. The yolks are almost orange. That being said I still dont always eat the yolks. I usually have three egg whites and then one whole egg. If I always ate the yolks I would be over on calories. The dogs love the yolks we dont eat.

ChickenTractor-1.jpg

we live in the country so we have 8 hens, a roo, and three Indian Runner ducks, they get locked up at night because of raccoons. My coworkers love spring cause I bring in the excess eggs
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I eat heaps of eggs and I was recently told by my doctor that my Cholesterol is realy low... I was surprised due to my love of eggs and cheese! After reading this though, I'm wondering if maybe I should be trying to raise my HDL cholesterol... Need to research this more... Thanks for the great article!
  • fatavatar
    Options
    I cooked a low cal recipe the other day (oven baked courgettes) which called for egg whites to coat the courgettes. I couldn't bear to waste the yolk so i just used the whole egg, so shoot me! It just seems so spoilt and wasteful to only eat egg whites I couldn't possibly separate myself so fully from the realities of a hungry world.

I realise that sounds mad from someone in my position (very privileged, but we do have very little food waste in this house). 59 calories in a yolk, 19 in white.. great! But yolks on their own don't taste of much...why not have a bran and water omelette and be done with it?
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love eggs....no one will make me give up my eggs....and my favorite part is the yolk :bigsmile: It is the part with the flavor
  • wemmsie
    wemmsie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    aslongs its not a whole easter egg being ate and its within ur calls........i go with that lol
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Farm fresh eggs are SO much better tasting too! When I scramble fresh eggs, I don't even need to add salt or pepper. They are THAT tasty!!
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post!
    I LOVE eggs and the yolks. Actually, hard-boiled eggs drowning in lemon pepper is one of my favorite snacks.

I too, always think it's weird that people just eat the whites. What's the point??
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Oh yay! A post that validates my dietary choices! :)
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    This is meaningless without some context.

I could be eating eggs whites because I need the extra lean protein.

I don't see how it's meaningless. The context is "general knowledge." If you have a reason to need lean protein then you would be an exception to the general rule, which is that egg yolks aren't bad for you. You would be making a conscious choice based specifically on your needs/desires, rather than not eating something because you heard somewhere that it was bad for you, even though it's not true.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    I love eggs. Whole eggs.
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MeliNichole84
    MeliNichole84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i was told the yolk is bad for you also. and like one other reader. eating an entire egg cooked or not makes me have horrible tummy issues. egg whites seem to be ok and not tear my tummy up. interesting read.
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    anyone try this with eggs??

Position the oven racks in the center of the oven.
    Place the eggs on the racks.
    Place a baking sheet pan in the bottom of the oven (just in case an egg breaks).
    Set the oven to 325F, and bake for 30 minutes.
    When the eggs are done, fill a large bowl with ice water and move the eggs into the bowl.
    Peel the eggs as soon as they're cool enough to handle, then return them to the ice water to thoroughly chill.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/hard-cooked-eggs-in-the-oven-baked-eggs-61856#ixzz1rm0kaXVd

I've been meaning to try this method! I have such a terrible time peeling eggs that I boil. I never thought it could be so hard! LOL
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Eggs are delicious, I have thrown out a couple of yolks before only because I just wanted the protein from the whites without the additional calories from the yolks. So I did a few eggs with yolks, and extra whites so that I could bulk the meal up.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    I tend to eat about two eggs a day...right from our chickens and you are right the yolks are much more colorful!

I want chickens in my backyard, that is great.

What if a chicken dies? Most would say to eat it but after caring for it.. id eat it while crying hey heh
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    bump to read later - love eating eggs.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My chickens are in overdrive right now so we're eating A LOT of eggs! Every week I make a big frittata full of eggs and veggies with a little cheese and sometimes use different meats. We cut it into pieces and eat it for breakfast all week. (Well, really about half the week before I have to make another.) :)