Eat the WHOLE Egg!!!

Options

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

What if a chicken dies? Most would say to eat it but after caring for it.. id eat it while crying hey heh
    [/quote]

If it dies on its own we don't eat it because it could have been sick but we have introduced them to the stew pot ourselves. Our rooster Pepe made the BEST chicken soup! ;) (He was really cute but lost some of that adorableness when he started crowing at 3:30 in the morning. We live in a neighborhood so that couldn't continue. )
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I didn't read it, sorry, but I always eat whole eggs. I mean, there's only 70 calories in an egg anyways, I don't get the point of having only the egg white...plus egg whites don't taste as good in my opinion.
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I want to try duck eggs

Are they are jam packed full of goodness as a hen's egg?

I do however bin the 80% of my yolks simply due to the calories
    I own ducks, geese, chickens (of all varieties, Araucana chickens lay very cute blue and green eggs!) and Guinea birds. All their eggs are yummy and have a similar nutrition profile, but goose and duck eggs are larger. In fact, our african goose lays eggs that are two or three times the size of our chicken eggs. They're all very awesome, and waking up to rooster crowing has become a morning ritual along with eating warm eggs that I've just plucked out from under a chicken (our hens are very broody, even if none of the eggs are fertilized!). Nothing like an egg layed an hour before it got to your plate, and the yolks are such a rich deep orange color from their nutrition it's crazy to think I enjoyed pale yellow store eggs.
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love eggs. I always eat the "whole" though, why on earth would I want to get rid of the best bit??
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Gotta raise your own. Its easy. We have five now and way more eggs than my family can eat. They get to free range the yard during the day and get all the bugs and sunshine they can find. The yolks are almost orange. That being said I still dont always eat the yolks. I usually have three egg whites and then one whole egg. If I always ate the yolks I would be over on calories. The dogs love the yolks we dont eat.

ChickenTractor-1.jpg

we live in the country so we have 8 hens, a roo, and three Indian Runner ducks, they get locked up at night because of raccoons. My coworkers love spring cause I bring in the excess eggs

Just curious ... how do you have a roo and raccoons?
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yum! I have been eating a boiled egg everyday after my workouts! I heard all the protien and nutrients help with muscle repair after hard workouts and runs so I started taking a chilled lunch bag with a hard boiled egg some cherry tomatoes and baby carrots with me to the gym so I can munch on that when I'm done.... It helps to curb my appetite and now I know why lol.
  • Amoravy
    Amoravy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat about two eggs a day...right from our chickens and you are right the yolks are much more colorful!

My dad has chickens! The eggs are more nutritional than chickens raised in a tiny cage and the yolks are much oranger! Whole egg all the way!
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Amen
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    Gotta raise your own. Its easy. We have five now and way more eggs than my family can eat. They get to free range the yard during the day and get all the bugs and sunshine they can find. The yolks are almost orange. That being said I still dont always eat the yolks. I usually have three egg whites and then one whole egg. If I always ate the yolks I would be over on calories. The dogs love the yolks we dont eat.

ChickenTractor-1.jpg

we live in the country so we have 8 hens, a roo, and three Indian Runner ducks, they get locked up at night because of raccoons. My coworkers love spring cause I bring in the excess eggs

Not sure I understand your question, the rooster just keeps the hens in order, the raccoons are wild and love to kill and eat chickens, hence the reason we lock them up at night
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My family says I'm not allowed to eat the yolks. I have a bad reaction to the yolk part (not the white), and no one wants to be around me - if you know what I mean. Plus, it causes me pain and cramping. Not really allergic I guess, just sensitive. I think in my case, it's ok to stick to the whites...:blushing:
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I love my backyard chickens.. I had two WHOLE eggs for breakfast this morning. great post!

You lucky woman, you!
  • seizethefray
    Options
    Fantastic post! Thank you. I never understood why egg whites were so popular among the health conscious. I've always thought, why not just eat the whole damn egg? Is it really that awful for you?

I've been validated. :D
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Not sure I understand your question, the rooster just keeps the hens in order, the raccoons are wild and love to kill and eat chickens, hence the reason we lock them up at night

Riiiight... I was thinking kangaroo!
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    I usually do one whole egg and one egg white
    I normally eat 1 egg and 1/2c egg white from container. :D
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    What an eggcellent post!

I couldnt have laid it out better myself.

Glad you didn't chicken out on this one.

:flowerforyou:
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options

Riiiight... I was thinking kangaroo!

hahaha, that is what I was wondering....
  • feliz1
    feliz1 Posts: 29
    Options
    Great information. Thank you!
  • dcroni
    dcroni Posts: 4
    Options
    Very informative article, thank you!

Also:
    i want eggs benedict so bad right now.... swimming in hollandaise sause. ya, thats right.
  • feliz1
    feliz1 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you for the info.