MSNBC POLL: Half Of Men Say They Would Leave A Partner Who G

Options
_shortstack
_shortstack Posts: 46 Member
"Half Of Men Say They Would Leave A Partner Who Gained Weight"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/27/men-leave-weight-gain_n_911143.html

I read this article on MSNBC, and was curious what other myfitnesspal members thought?

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    "Half Of Men Say They Would Leave A Partner Who Gained Weight"
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/27/men-leave-weight-gain_n_911143.html

I read this article on MSNBC, and was curious what other myfitnesspal members thought?

I think in that case, I should be strategic and find a man while I'm at the highest end of my weight range. Problem solved. Now excuse me while I go put all those pounds back on.

Oh never mind, I'm not looking for love at the moment. But I'll be sure to gain it all back before I do. It's a foolproof plan!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Interesting, my ex left me for a girl who was 10 years younger, and twice as big as me.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Half of men would also screw anything that stands up right.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

As would half the women too.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Oh yay.... the makings of another male bashing thread. Can't wait! :grumble:
  • Farfourah
    Options

No, it's more than half...
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Not true, I like to power drill my stuff!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPNWJI9yJpppQ-pVQKPbBVS6ATcKsbWvmyKUDjVsvjU3Zm3u_3
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I heard this from ex boyfriends I had in the past and also from other male friends. It is kind of sad that some men think that way.It was never (supposedly) directed to me but I always thought it was some sort of threat.

I don't know what I would do but right now I don't think I would leave a person for gaining a normal amount of weight.
  • Farfourah
    Options
    Not true, I like to power drill my stuff!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPNWJI9yJpppQ-pVQKPbBVS6ATcKsbWvmyKUDjVsvjU3Zm3u_3

LOL! And I just like to lay there and take it...
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options

No, it's more than half...

lol... these replies made my day :laugh:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I am going to offend all feminists and say that I refuse to bash men for leaving their partners for gaining weight.

Why? Because men are visual creatures. They are stimulated by what they see.
    Fortunately, some men like to see bigger women. Some like smaller. We all have different tastes, and that's okay.

I imagine that, when this study claims that men would leave a partner for gaining weight, it isn't all visual, however. They may find, as I did as I lost weight and my partner did not, that being with a partner who doesn't share your desire to be healthy can be difficult to deal with. It wasn't my reason for leaving him, but it definitely did put a strain on the relationship.

Anyway, women can be shallow, too - we tend to be a bit more forgiving on weight issues, but not about money, or sexual performance, or any other number of issues.

So don't assume that half of all men are douche bags because of one study. You know what? Most men are pretty awesome.
  • BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would leave a boyfriend if he became fat (note: this is assuming he started out in shape). But I don't mean, kinda fat...thats no biggie....but if my guy ever became obese, I would probably leave him.

The reason for me would not be so much that I wouldn't find him attractive anymore, but I can't picture myself being with someone who cares so little about their health.

Bottomline, if my man started gaining significant weight, I'd talk to him...if he continued to an OBESE level, I'd leave him.
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Is this dating or married? I didn't have a large history of leaving people for any reason. I wouldn't leave my wife if she gained 400 pounds. (I would worry about her health way before that.)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I am going to offend all feminists and say that I refuse to bash men for leaving their partners for gaining weight.

Fortunately, some men like to see bigger women. Some like smaller. We all have different tastes, and that's okay.

I imagine that, when this study claims that men would leave a partner for gaining weight, it isn't all visual, however. They may find, as I did as I lost weight and my partner did not, that being with a partner who doesn't share your desire to be healthy can be difficult to deal with. It wasn't my reason for leaving him, but it definitely did put a strain on the relationship.

Anyway, women can be shallow, too - we tend to be a bit more forgiving on weight issues, but not about money, or sexual performance, or any other number of issues.

So don't assume that half of all men are douche bags because of one study. You know what? Most men are pretty awesome.

Did you ever know...

that I love you? :heart:
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

Your honesty is awesome and I tend to agree with this.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Well said.:heart:
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Why is it ao bad for people to be honest about what they find attractive?

My boyfriend would not be as attractive to me if he gained weight, not because he got bigger, but because that would only happen with a negative change in lifestyle. Someone who would allow that to happen would not be a good partner for me, and I would find them unattractive.

Let's not bash men here for being honest. As a woman, I would feel the same way.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I think it's okay to be a little shallow... Men and women. My husband would not like it if I gained a large amount of weight and didn't do anything to remedy the situation. He's a fit guy. He likes doing active things. He would see my lack of concern with my weight as a lack of concern with his feelings and which would be a huge issue.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    First, we don't know if anyone answering any poll is telling the truth. Even if they are this poll does not cover the entire male population. Personally, I've never known a man who left his wife/girlfriend because she got fat. But I once knew a man who left his wife because she never put the bread back in the cabinet; turns out the cat was pulling the bread out of the cabinet after his wife put the bread up. --true story
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Physical health is in direct correlation to mental health, IMO. If your partner lets themselves go physically, chances are they are not maintaining a healthy mental stance either. I see no problem with leaving a partner who doesn't take care of their wellbeing.