Baby kitten help

Options
Tourney3p0
Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
I just found a newborn kitten while walking to the gym. It was meowing very loudly, but eventually I was able to trace it to a discarded couch next to the community dumpster. It was stuck inside a spring, so I had to tear the couch open and do some disassembly to get it out.

I don't know how old it is, but it seems very unsteady on its legs. It won't stop shaking even though it's not all that cold. Is this normal for a newborn cat?

More importantly, I can't keep it. I don't know anyone who would want it. Should I put it back out next to the dumpster (but not inside the couch!) in case its mother comes back?

Not really sure what to do here.

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Take it to a vet or a shelter!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    if you can't keep it take to the shelter...the mother probably moved the others, not likely she will come back...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Get it to a vet, asap! They can care for it and often will take it in and get it adopted at no charge. For now keep it warm.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    2nd vote for vet or shelter. There should be a number in the phone book or check online.
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    take it to a shelter, they have what it may need if the mother isnt around anymore, mikl, shots,etc. Please.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Take it to a vet or a shelter!

^
    do not put it back there it may die
    take it to a shelter
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Vet or shelter. The vet can tell you how old it is and with any luck guide you to a shelter. I wouldn't put it back near the dumpster especially if it's a baby. If momma wasn't hanging around the couch when you heard it crying chances are good she's not there and the baby will just die.
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately now that you've handled it, it's unlikely its mother would take it back. :(
    I would take it straight to the shelter.. they have people equipped to handle this type of situation.
    Good for you for rescuing the little guy!
  • sade717
    sade717 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im a little late seeing this post but yes it would have needed vet attention immediately Often vets ate affiliated with shelters as well so you should never have to worry about not taking an animal there for fear of cost. Hope the kitten made it!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    A vet will take it in and give it the care it needs. They know pet lovers and will likely find it a home.
  • Tourney3p0
    Options
    Well, it looks like we only have one shelter even remotely close by. At the top of their website it says "** HARPS does NOT operate an adoption program **
    We CANNOT take your pet"
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Unfortunatly if the kitten is too young the shelter may destroy it. My mother in law found kittens in her backyard and she called animal services and they said "we'll come and get them but if they are too young and need their mother we have to destroy them" she told them thanks but no thanks fed them and they eventually left on their own.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Well, it looks like we only have one shelter even remotely close by. At the top of their website it says "** HARPS does NOT operate an adoption program **
    We CANNOT take your pet"

Put some milk in a zip-lock baggy and then tear a small hole at one of the corners and let it drink from there. I'm sure some will say you shouldn't give it cow milk, but what else can you do?

I guess do this until you can find someone to adopt it?
  • sfernan432
    sfernan432 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We had one like that, she ended up dying on us sad to say but we fed her and loved her as much as we could. Her umbelical cord was still attached and my male cat didn't like her. I think she was sick. Poor baby.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Tourney - that is sad....but perhaps they could help out as it's not technically your pet. I don't know where you are but I know in my area (Eastern time) most vets would be closed.....maybe you could find an emergency vet clinic in your area? I know it seems you're doing so much for this kitten, but you're saving a little life! It's a great thing!
  • rachelelizabeth88
    rachelelizabeth88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal for them to shake... they're just scared... bring it to a vet right away if you don't want to keep it. Mother cats usually move their babies a couple of places so if you bring the kitten back the mother may have already came and went. Bring it to a vet or a shelter that isn't going to harm it :)
  • Tourney3p0
    Options
    We had one like that, she ended up dying on us sad to say but we fed her and loved her as much as we could. Her umbelical cord was still attached and my male cat didn't like her. I think she was sick. Poor baby.

Yeah, my cat is freaking out. I've only heard him hiss once in his entire life. Now he's making a constant distress yowl and hissing at me if I get close.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    We CANNOT take your pet"

It isn't your pet. It is an abandoned animal. What is a shelter for if not to help abandoned animals?
  • sade717
    sade717 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also, it is absolute myth that after handling newborn or young dogs or cats causes the mother to disown them. Often if the mother leaves them behind its because she knows (through instinct) that it is the runt and wants to be sure that the healthier kittens stay healthy. This too does not mean runts are helpless if the mother cant care for them. Vets, most NO KILL shelters and even devoted people have the ability to help through bottle feeding. Source: in college for bachelors in vet med!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    We CANNOT take your pet"

Wait, I don't understand. How can a shelter not take an animal?