Baby kitten help

Replies

• saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Well, it looks like we only have one shelter even remotely close by. At the top of their website it says "** HARPS does NOT operate an adoption program **
    We CANNOT take your pet"

Then just get them to evaluate the kitten to make sure it's not full of fleas or has any contagious/fatal diseases, then ask them what you need to feed it for the time being, maybe ask if they could give you some kitten formula and a bottle or syringe to feed it with, then just keep it warm and watch over it for the night. In the morning find a shelter or vet clinic that will take in stray animals and bring it there. If it's under a month old it needs serious care either by a foster mom or a vet tech/someone who is trained for this.
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    if you're unable to look after the kitten or know anybody who can, take it to a vet. they should be able to look after it.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Tourney - that is sad....but perhaps they could help out as it's not technically your pet. I don't know where you are but I know in my area (Eastern time) most vets would be closed.....maybe you could find an emergency vet clinic in your area? I know it seems you're doing so much for this kitten, but you're saving a little life! It's a great thing!
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Still worth a call to them. They may know of another organization that will take it. Or call a veterinarian and ask them. A vet may take it and care for it so that it doesn't die.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    I just found a newborn kitten while walking to the gym. It was meowing very loudly, but eventually I was able to trace it to a discarded couch next to the community dumpster. It was stuck inside a spring, so I had to tear the couch open and do some disassembly to get it out.

I don't know how old it is, but it seems very unsteady on its legs. It won't stop shaking even though it's not all that cold. Is this normal for a newborn cat?

More importantly, I can't keep it. I don't know anyone who would want it. Should I put it back out next to the dumpster (but not inside the couch!) in case its mother comes back?

Not really sure what to do here.

Please don't just put it back out there, alone!!! Kittens need to be kept warm, very warm!! Even in warm weather. Back in Sept, I rescued an abandoned feral kitten. She was so sick...infested with fleas, dehydrated, had diahrrea (sp?). She took a turn for the worse in a matter of an hour and was almost dead by the time I got her to the vet. She had severe flea anemia and was near death from that alone. Can you take it to a vet? I understand that you can't keep the kitten, but maybe if you could take it to a vet, they would take it from you and give it medical attention. My little "feral" kitten is now a healthy, beautiful little girl.
  • TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Feed it baby formula and keep it warm. Do you know anyone who might be able to care for it?
  • NICOLED73
    Well, it looks like we only have one shelter even remotely close by. At the top of their website it says "** HARPS does NOT operate an adoption program **
    We CANNOT take your pet"

Put some milk in a zip-lock baggy and then tear a small hole at one of the corners and let it drink from there. I'm sure some will say you shouldn't give it cow milk, but what else can you do?

I guess do this until you can find someone to adopt it?
    Wal Mart sells cat milk on their pat food aisle.
  • briteyes1002
    briteyes1002 Posts: 313 Member
    You can take it to a vet. The should take the kitten or direct you to someone that can. You may be able to call at 24 hour emergency vets office who is open 24 hours a day and drop the kitten off there.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    You could also call animal control as a last resort. They drop animals off at my shelter a lot.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Please do something for this poor baby.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    I just found a newborn kitten while walking to the gym. It was meowing very loudly, but eventually I was able to trace it to a discarded couch next to the community dumpster. It was stuck inside a spring, so I had to tear the couch open and do some disassembly to get it out.

I don't know how old it is, but it seems very unsteady on its legs. It won't stop shaking even though it's not all that cold. Is this normal for a newborn cat?

More importantly, I can't keep it. I don't know anyone who would want it. Should I put it back out next to the dumpster (but not inside the couch!) in case its mother comes back?

Not really sure what to do here.

Take it to a vet or if you are in Michigan, bring it to me and ill take it to a vet. Do not put it back, it will die :(
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Just tried calling all the vets I could find around here, but none are open. The rescue site doesn't even list a phone number.

http://www.harpsinc.org/

Guess I'll go try to find some food for it. It wouldn't eat my other cat's food, but that's to be expected since it's so small.
  • NICOLED73
    Wal Mart sells kitty milk. Get some of that.
    Good for you trying all you can. Don't give up on the little thing!
    Put it near a lamp if you can while you go out. A bathroom floor to separate him from your other cat.
    A blanket and a lamp for warmth.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Walmart carries kitten milk. Depending on how young it is, you might have to feed it with a syringe or something similar. Don't give it cow's milk. If you're trying to feed dry food you should wet it thoroughly so it's soft and helps hydrate the little guy.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 866 Member
    Do you know anyone that has a cat that just gave birth? You could put that kitten with that litter and then promise the owner that you will help find it a home when the kitten is weaned. Our two kittens just had kittens and they nurse each others' babies.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Oh and put it in a tall box/basket with plenty of warm blankets. Might want to place it near a source of heat.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Just tried calling all the vets I could find around here, but none are open. The rescue site doesn't even list a phone number.

Guess I'll go try to find some food for it. It wouldn't eat my other cat's food, but that's to be expected since it's so small.

What about your local Humane Society? I just went onto the petfinder site and you can search for shelters there. You might be able to find something close to you.

On a different note, I HATE it when companies don't post their phone numbers on their websites.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154

I believe I found their phone number: (478) 929-1820

Had to muck on Google, but I believe that's the right one.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Wal mart sells bottles and kitten formula in the pet food section. My current cat was a bottle baby. I fed her every 3 hrs around the clock for a while. Keep the kitten wrapped in a warm place, or better yet snuggled next to you in your shirt, as much as possible. It might be too late but I'm a total sucker who would do my best to save it! I understand the inability to keep it, though. Sometimes circumstances dictate. Best of luck :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Wal Mart sells kitty milk. Get some of that.
    Good for you trying all you can. Don't give up on the little thing!
    Put it near a lamp if you can while you go out. A bathroom floor to separate him from your other cat.
    A blanket and a lamp for warmth.

Haha, jinx! :)