VENT: Food Pushers & Passive Aggressive "Friends"

Options
124»

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    No one's saying to keep away from all sugar for the rest of their lives.
    People are comparing sugar to crack and cookies to alcohol for an alcoholic. Unless someone has a serious addition to sugar and/or cookies, the comparison is ridiculous.

My point is that these situations will continue to present themselves to all of us. My experience is to be gracious, and weigh the consequences. Would I rather offend my mother-in-law, or just eat the damn cookie? I'd rather eat the damn cookie, watch what I eat the rest of the evening, and/or burn it off later.
    The point is that it is your choice to do so. As it is my choice to say no and have that respected. Obesity does kill. So does diabetes and heart disease. And many people got to where they were because one more cookie may lead to 10. No one will force me to eat what I don't want. The people here are just saying they wish others would respect that.
    I personally don't give a crap. If I say no and you insist I ignore you. A persons feeling are their own responsibility. Not mine.
    Maybe I'm blessed with friends and family that don't push to the point that I have to be rude. I dunno.
    Maybe you can adopt me? I'm not that lucky. I have a family of obese women that equate food with love. And yet the fact that I have always been small until I had my kid...has always been a point of contention. Seriously..I'm 5'4 140 lbs and have been asked if I was 'sick' when I turned down food at thanksgiving. Sure..I must have cancer..that's it. I'm telling you...my family is nuts!
    I hear ya. I have family from Mexico, and to turn down food is a good way to offend someone. I also recognize, though, that it's not just the food they are offering. It's the time, money and love they invested in its preparation. Fortunately, though, they understand when I only want a little.

I usually want a lot more than a little, though. We're talking Mexican food, dude. :happy:
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Great Thread. Thanks!

The food pushers at my work know not to go there anymore with me. I don't eat meat very much and they do so I started turning it around on them. "No thanks, I don't want any rotting dead birds today" I would say with a smile and walk away. Or "How's that dead cow taste??" It did stop the food pushing however and we're all still friends.

People can choose their reactions. If they get pissed at a "no thank you" then it's their problem not yours. You have nothing to feel about is if the pusher walks back to her cube and starts crying. Wouldn't it be nice if people supported each other in being healthy?? How about "hey, lets go on a quick walk together??"

Also, It's not really about the cookie it's about control. If I want to indulge, I'll indulge on my schedule and my terms. Sometimes that might be with your cookie, but most likely not.

My pet peev... The admin assitant at my work is very nice and I really like her... But, she's over weight and orders way to much food when there is a work lunch and ALWAYS orders a bunch of desserts. Totally not appropriate for a company with a "Live Heathly" program going at the same time. I've talked to her about it and she says "people always eat it." Sure they do, but if we didn't give it away to them, they wouldn't go out and get it for themselves.

Thanks for listening!
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow. I didn't expect to stir the pot so much or that there would be such strong emotions around my vent. I was at work and truly just needed a neutral place to let loose my feelings at that moment.

To those of you who said "just eat the cookie," I am not going to eat something I really don't want to eat just to save someone else's feelings. Though I said "I don't care who I piss off" in the heat of the moment, it would never be my goal to intentionally hurt someone's feelings, but I do think they should respect my choice/answer and let it go.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Wow. I didn't expect to stir the pot so much or that there would be such strong emotions around my vent. I was at work and truly just needed a neutral place to let loose my feelings at that moment.

To those of you who said "just eat the cookie," I am not going to eat something I really don't want to eat just to save someone else's feelings. Though I said "I don't care who I piss off" in the heat of the moment, it would never be my goal to intentionally hurt someone's feelings, but I do think they should respect my choice/answer and let it go.

Im sitting on the "No Thank You" bench with you... Just like many of us who have sided with you.

If the food-pushers cant respect the "No Thank you", then its their issue.