"Meat and potato" man-approved recipes?

Options
My husband does not like vegetables. Ok, he likes broccoli-with tons of cheese, and cabbage-fried in bacon, and corn-you know how healthy THAT is! He keeps saying he will try to eat better but every time I make something healthy, he doesn't like it. I have recently lost some weight and he has been inspired (nagged) to do the same! Does anyone have recipes my meat and potato man will eat? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Tanya_IP
    Tanya_IP Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bumping for recipes :)
  • mensad
    mensad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How about some low-fat beef chili? Here's what I make (serves about 4):

1 lb ground beef
    1 onion, diced
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    15 oz. can diced tomato
    small can of tomato paste
    15 oz. can kidney beans
    1 cup orange pepper, diced
    15 oz. can kernel corn
    garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, tobasco to taste

Put the olive oil, ground beef and onions in a pot and cook at med ium to high until beef is browned. Add remaining ingredients and mix, lower heat to simmer. You can eat it very soon, but the longer it simmers the better it will taste (reccomend about 2 hours).

A serving should be around 420 calories, 40g carbs, 15g fat, 28g protein, 9g fiber.

The best part about chili - you can mix and match all of this until you find the mix that both of you like. Hope this helps!
  • sarahdee2007
    Options

1 lb ground beef
    1 onion, diced
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    15 oz. can diced tomato
    15 oz. can kidney beans
    15 oz. can kernel corn

Put the olive oil, ground beef and onions in a pot and cook at med ium to high until beef is browned. Add remaining ingredients and mix, lower heat to simmer. You can eat it very soon, but the longer it simmers the better it will taste (reccomend about 2 hours).

A serving should be around 420 calories, 40g carbs, 15g fat, 28g protein, 9g fiber.

The best part about chili - you can mix and match all of this until you find the mix that both of you like. Hope this helps!

Do you think this would be good with ground turkey? I got carried away when it went on sale and our freezer has more turkey than we know what to do with?!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I literally made "meat and potatoes" the other night from Skinnytaste.com

It was excellent:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/braised-brisket-with-potatoes-and.html
  • dc_smile2002
    dc_smile2002 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bumping for recipes!! My husband is the same way. :happy:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Bumping to look at those recipes later, thanks :)
  • SlidingDown
    SlidingDown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bumping for recipes :) Great topic!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Steak is always good ;)
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    This is my husbands favorite meal!

Ground Turkey
    Mashed Potatoes
    Garlic and Herb pasta sauce

That's it and it works for me too. I have 4oz of turkey (he gets 12oz) and then he gets potatoes and I use pasta (less calories for more for me). He uses MFP too and this fits in his calories too...the amount of potatoes fluctuates based on his calories for the day but it works
  • pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options

1 lb ground beef
    1 onion, diced
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    15 oz. can diced tomato
    15 oz. can kidney beans
    15 oz. can kernel corn

Do you think this would be good with ground turkey? I got carried away when it went on sale and our freezer has more turkey than we know what to do with?!

it would be awesome!!!
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    SKinnytaste.com has saved my marriage! My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy too. Here's the link for baked potato soup. It is a favorite at our house. It is made mostly with cauliflower and my hubby has no idea.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/baked-potato-soup.html
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I made this Mexican Cornbread with beef recipe the other night and my husband loved it. I used chipotle peppers instead of jalapenos.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-mexican-cornbread/detail.aspx
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Cheeseburgers and fries
    lean ground beef, toppings, 'sandwich thin' instead of buns
    For the fries, I cut potatoes into "fries" and season with cayenne, garlic powder and salt.
    Then I lightly oil a cookie sheet (1 tsp oil and a brush) and bake the fries at 425 until crispy.

My husband also likes grilled chicken with barbecue sauce, grilled corn and salads (he isn't super picky, but he has a big appetite, so light meals don't work). Sometimes I microwave a potato for himself, to make it more filling.
    Beef stew can be healthy -- will he do carrots and potatoes?
    I also make quesadillas out of leftover chicken and beef... just saute some peppers and onions, put it in a tortilla with a little cheese... voila, dinner.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

1 lb ground beef
    1 onion, diced
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    15 oz. can diced tomato
    15 oz. can kidney beans
    15 oz. can kernel corn

I know you weren't asking ME (lol) but I always use ground turkey for my chili. I actually like it better that way!
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    bump
  • SuzQ20
    SuzQ20 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • iowatransplant
    iowatransplant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend LOVES the baked chicken I make. I created my own marinade and it's YUMMY. It works for steak, too, but chicken is leaner. You can either bake or grill the chicken:

Red wine vinegar
    Worcestershire sauce
    Soy sauce
    Olive oil
    Garlic powder (or minced garlic)
    Thyme
    Parsley
    Oregano
    Basil

Marinate at least three hours, but overnight is best. Bake breasts at 350 for 35-40 minutes, depending on size. You can also put cheese on top or chopped veggies.