Protein Bars? What are your Faves? Ones to Avoid?

Options

Replies

• albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I have been making my own lately, and prefer them..............posted this a while back, but here is the recipe and stats if you want to give it a shot.

2 cups kashi go lean crunch berry crumble
    4 scoops body fortress vanilla
    4 tbs skippy peanut butter
    6tbs pb2 chocolate
    .5 cup 2% milk

calories Carbs fat protein sugar fiber
    200 20 6 20 7 4 (each)

mix all in bowl, will consistency of very thick cookie dough
    press into a 8x8 pan, pyrex
    (could just chill and cut probably)
    I bake at 350 for about 10-15 until edges brown
    cool.............cut into 8 bars
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I can only eat Luna bars because of the wheat. The Lemon one is okay.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    While not a true protein bar, Larabar fruit and nut bars are minimally processed and excellent for energy. Main ingredients are fruit and nuts. Diary-free, gluten-free, minimal salt, no added sugar (unless a flavor has chocolate). Most bars run about 200 calories.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    While I'm no protein bar guru, I like my Zone bars ... the double dark chocolate, dark chocolate almond, dark chocolate strawberry, and cookie dough are all my favorites.
  • cecejoy
    cecejoy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have been making my own lately, and prefer them..............posted this a while back, but here is the recipe and stats if you want to give it a shot.

6tbs pb2 chocolate
    .5 cup 2% milk

200 20 6 20 7 4 (each)

thanks for sharing ;)
  • Carmandicus
    Carmandicus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you're that concerned about GMO, or refined sugars, I think cheapest and most effective way to go about it is just to make your own with a food processor.

This is my favorite recipe:
    http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/2376447-Power-Balls

There are plenty of others circulating the internet that include protein powder (generally from modified soy beans), but getting your protein from raw nuts and seeds definitely has nutritional advantages.
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    They're not made as protein bars, but Clif bars have lots of protein and fiber in them, plus they're delicious!
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I like the balance bar: chocolate craze and the sweet and salty peanut are my favorites. I will have to check out the quest bar... :)
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    READ the WHOLE label! I wish I could remember which one it was but there is a protein bar that says in practically invisible print "excessive consumption of this causes excessive gas and sometimes has a laxative effect" or something like that. Try eating one right before watching a freaking play. My only suggestion.
    D

Anything with malitol will cause gas and laxative effects, it a sugar alcohol Lors knows why is used in a lot of stuff, I had a bad reaction once and will never go back!!

I like cliff bars and good greens bars which can be found at vitamin shop and online (chocolate coconut is the best!!) 190 cals, natural sweeteners and 12 grams of protein which is pretty good for such a low cal bar.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I like the look of the Quest bar, because there's no sugar, high protein, all natural, and low calories (about 160). I can't justify $24.99 plus $5 shipping for 12 protein bars, though. Anyone else know of any low or no sugar protein bars, with low calories?
  • twkelly
    twkelly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat a Pure Protein Revolution bar daily. It is chocolate caramel peant flavour and taste great IMO. There is a warning about possible stomach upset due to sugar alcohols but I have never felt any discomfort. It has the best macros of any bar I have researched.

78g bar, 280 cals, 9g fat, 26g carbs, 32g protein
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I like the look of the Quest bar, because there's no sugar, high protein, all natural, and low calories (about 160). I can't justify $24.99 plus $5 shipping for 12 protein bars, though. Anyone else know of any low or no sugar protein bars, with low calories?

www.netrition.com sells them individually and it's still $5 shipping, but there may be other things on that site that you might already use or want to try and that would help with the shipping. Also the quest website has a store locator. Maybe there is one near you?
  • MADinMelbourne
    Options
    what about raw/dried bananas instead of a snack bar? Great for marathons (or so the Durian Rider says) - he eats 30 bananas a day!
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley has new chewy protein bars and I like the peanut butter dark chocolate. I'm not sure if they are the best for you but they don't break me out. I have found others that have "bad" stuff in them will eventually break me out. I really like them and they don't give me gas! I am going to check out the Quest bars though. I'm always open to new healthy things. stinks they always cost so much!
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 419 Member
    Options

www.netrition.com sells them individually and it's still $5 shipping, but there may be other things on that site that you might already use or want to try and that would help with the shipping. Also the quest website has a store locator. Maybe there is one near you?
    That store locator link seems to be a dead end?! I tried it and there's no option to enter a zip code or anything :(
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley has new chewy protein bars and I like the peanut butter dark chocolate. I'm not sure if they are the best for you but they don't break me out. I have found others that have "bad" stuff in them will eventually break me out. I really like them and they don't give me gas! I am going to check out the Quest bars though. I'm always open to new healthy things. stinks they always cost so much!

I'm sorry, I know this is off topic but is that your snake? Oh my Lord I would DIE!!
  • treeeee
    treeeee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I really like Luna bars (especially the cookie dough, mmmmm) I also like low sugar promax bars!
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, I know this is off topic but is that your snake? Oh my Lord I would DIE!!

Lol!! It's my African fat tailed gecko Rex! He is a doll baby! Such a sweet reptile. He wouldn't hurt anything but a cricket!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome.

6tbs pb2 chocolate
    .5 cup 2% milk

200 20 6 20 7 4 (each)