Protein Bars? What are your Faves? Ones to Avoid?

Options

Replies

• Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars have the lowest sugar that I've seen in a readily avaliable bar.

3g sugar
    31g protein
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I really like the Clif builder bars ... no artificial ingredients and the chocolate peanut butter is quite tasty.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I eat a Pure Protein Revolution bar daily. It is chocolate caramel peant flavour and taste great IMO. There is a warning about possible stomach upset due to sugar alcohols but I have never felt any discomfort. It has the best macros of any bar I have researched.

78g bar, 280 cals, 9g fat, 26g carbs, 32g protein

Same here. But I forgot mine today. :frown:
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm not a body builder...just a regular person..so I have protein bars for convenience and as a decent snack. I'm sure there are more healthful choices out there but my favorites for taste/decent protein are Zone Cashew & Pretzel bars and also enjoy the Target brand bars..double dark chocolate I think.
  • minit54
    minit54 Posts: 27
    Options
    i've started to make my own. that way i know whats in them. got my recipes from this website. this guy makes some great stuff with things you have at home!

http://leanbodylifestyle.blogspot.com/2012/01/easy-homemade-chocolate-peanut-butter.html

I only have vanilla whey protein powder when i made these but they turned out delicious! can only imagine what the chocolate is like!
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    LOVE the chocolate mint Cliff Builder bars - they taste like girl scout cookies :)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you won't find a protein bar that people won't debate about. many people make their own, plenty of recipes on here and out there on the INTERNETS :)

I eat cliff builder, I've tried the chocolate, mint, and peanut butter, not bad tasting my favorite brand so far
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I love Cliff Protein Builder Bars, or at least I did, until I read the label.

My gym people recommend Carb Conscious Protein Supreme - Peanut Butter Pretzel Twist is the only flavor they offer I like. They are offered in 50g and 96g sizes - the latter is huge and suffices for lunch. I buy the 50g size by the box. Here is the info, with Cliff's in parenthesis for comparison:

Size: 50g (68g)
    Calories: 210 (270)
    Fat: 9g (8g)
    Cholesterol: 5mg (0mg)
    Sodium: 100mg (240mg)
    Potassium: 100mg (170mg)
    Carbs: 17g (30g)
    Sugar: 3g (22g)
    Protein: 15g (20g)

Source:
    Cliff's: http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_builders/1226
    Protein Supreme: http://tinyurl.com/6nzhqgg
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    sorry to be blunt, but those bars that were previously mentioned are trash :(

clif for instance has palm kernel oil :(

it uses soy protein for its main source of protein which is GMO :(

the sugars they use are bad even though they are organic, still a bad source

and pure protein bars are ultra trash...

the only good protein bar out there is quest. search it and you'll understand.

don't hate me for what i've said, get out there and try the quest bar, they are the best tasting and healthiest! the macro breakdown is top notch and the ingredients used are top quality.

I went and looked up those bars, they are pretty impressive, the only reason I don't eat protein bars is because of the sugar content. The thing that worries me about the Quest bars is the amount of fibre, I would be going over by more than double if I had just one per day.
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of quest bars, I'll definitely have to check them out too. I have gotten so sick of pure protein and I feel that basically all other protein bars I've tried (clif, zone, atkins) are just glorified candy bars.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Damn I hope that those Quest bars are all they're cracked up to be, Coz I just spent $65 AU on them, including $25 shipping! Thank God our dollar is doing okay these days
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Just ordered 3 Quest bars online just to give them a try since so many folks seem to be recommending them. They are a bit more expensive than the Clif Builder Bars ... but according to Quest's web site, they apparently will (or already have maybe) start being available in some stores. I would be more inclined to buy them if I could pick them up from a local store as opposed to ordering them online.

For anyone interested in ordering any online, though, I found a coupon code that can be used for free shipping. Just key in SAMPLE during the order process when it prompts for coupon or discount codes. May not work if you've ever ordered from them before, though.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/questproteinbar.com
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I eat Clif Builder bars because they are organic and contain no gelatin or artificial sweeteners. I'm personally not afraid of carbs (simple or complex) or the palm kernel oil doesn't bother me either because my fat intake is relatively low. And they are, without a doubt, delicious.

9114468.png

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    My favorite is Met-Rx mud pie fusion. It's AMAZING.
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Make your own for sure! That way you can adjust your recipe to what works for you plus it is alot cheaper. If you google clean eating protien bar recipes you can get some with very little processed ingredients.
  • Naomirp7
    Naomirp7 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have seen it on this thread, but I agree, my favorite bars are the Pure Protein Bars. I particularly love the chocolate peanut butter ones. My boyfriend likes the chocolate deluxe, I don't care for them as much, but still better than others we have tried. They are also the lowest calories for the most protein. We always have them in the house and I highly recommend them.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have been making my own lately, and prefer them..............posted this a while back, but here is the recipe and stats if you want to give it a shot.

2 cups kashi go lean crunch berry crumble
    4 scoops body fortress vanilla
    4 tbs skippy peanut butter
    6tbs pb2 chocolate
    .5 cup 2% milk

calories Carbs fat protein sugar fiber
    200 20 6 20 7 4 (each)

mix all in bowl, will consistency of very thick cookie dough
    press into a 8x8 pan, pyrex
    (could just chill and cut probably)
    I bake at 350 for about 10-15 until edges brown
    cool.............cut into 8 bars

This sounds great. Gonna give this a try. I have yet to find a protein bar that isn't full of crap and actually tastes good. I MUCH rather make my own. I never even thought to try my own. You can completely control the macro content this way. Awesome idea!
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Promax dark chocolate orange bar for me.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have been making my own lately, and prefer them..............posted this a while back, but here is the recipe and stats if you want to give it a shot.

2 cups kashi go lean crunch berry crumble
    4 scoops body fortress vanilla
    4 tbs skippy peanut butter
    6tbs pb2 chocolate
    .5 cup 2% milk

calories Carbs fat protein sugar fiber
    200 20 6 20 7 4 (each)

mix all in bowl, will consistency of very thick cookie dough
    press into a 8x8 pan, pyrex
    (could just chill and cut probably)
    I bake at 350 for about 10-15 until edges brown
    cool.............cut into 8 bars