Protein Bars? What are your Faves? Ones to Avoid?

Options

Replies

• twkelly
    twkelly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat a Pure Protein Revolution bar daily. It is chocolate caramel peant flavour and taste great IMO. There is a warning about possible stomach upset due to sugar alcohols but I have never felt any discomfort. It has the best macros of any bar I have researched.

78g bar, 280 cals, 9g fat, 26g carbs, 32g protein

Same here. But I forgot mine today. :frown:

I feel for ya. I gat hungry when I don't have one. Then I get the munchies.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Well, I finally broke down and ordered some Quest bars; I got free shipping so they came out to $2.08 a piece. I'll post back if they're any good or not!
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Oh Yeah! Chocolate & Caramel. It tastes like a Baby Ruth :)
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have also started substituting regular granola bars and a chocolate protein drink for protein bars. It's a few more calories but much more satisfying to me.
  • MzFreeSpirited
    Options
    i havent found a fav yet.. not one high in protein.. i like the luna bar -- it averages about 9 grams.. so i wouldnt call that a TRUE protein bar...lol. but STAY AWAY FOR PURE PROTEIN-- it is utterly gross!! im just sayin.. LOL
  • MzFreeSpirited
    Options
    Make your own for sure! That way you can adjust your recipe to what works for you plus it is alot cheaper. If you google clean eating protien bar recipes you can get some with very little processed ingredients.

never thought of this. thanks.. i will have to consider the idea of making my own
  • TeenaMarina
    Options
    Quest bars are pretty darn tasty! They got here in 2 days, and I'm delighted with the low/almost no sugar, and lower calories (than a lot of protein bars I look at). Keep me pretty full, too, during a long day at work. I may just order them again!!!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I found quest bars to be absolutely horrifying. It's like chewing rubber with obviously artificial flavors added.

I really like Clif Builder Bars. Chocolate Mint being one of my favorites.

The snickers protein bar again is very rubbery, soo not a fan.

Colossal Big100 tastes pretty good, but pretty high in calories vs the amount of protein you get.

Still working on the consistency but
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/2011/04/15/scooby-poo-bars/
    are pretty good
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    sorry to be blunt, but those bars that were previously mentioned are trash :(

clif for instance has palm kernel oil :(

it uses soy protein for its main source of protein which is GMO :(

the sugars they use are bad even though they are organic, still a bad source

and pure protein bars are ultra trash...

the only good protein bar out there is quest. search it and you'll understand.

don't hate me for what i've said, get out there and try the quest bar, they are the best tasting and healthiest! the macro breakdown is top notch and the ingredients used are top quality.

I went and looked up those bars, they are pretty impressive, the only reason I don't eat protein bars is because of the sugar content. The thing that worries me about the Quest bars is the amount of fibre, I would be going over by more than double if I had just one per day.

Really? you are worried about going over on your fiber? I think that is a good thing. I go over everyday. The best bars and best tasting in my opinion are Dale's Raw Protein Bars. My favorite are the low carb ones. They are not packed with chemicals like most other bars. They are also vegetarian and maybe vegan. (I'm not so not real sure). 22g. of protein and around 240 calories

http://dalesrawfoods.com/products/dales-raw-protein-bars/
  • TeenaMarina
    Options
    I found quest bars to be absolutely horrifying. It's like chewing rubber with obviously artificial flavors added.

Ha ha, to each his own I guess. :) It's probably a good thing we don't all enjoy the same protein bars, or there'd be a bunch of manufacturers going out of business! To your "rubbery" I say "chewy". And there are no artificial ingredients in these puppies at all, another reason I feel ok about eating them.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I love P90X bars...

I want to add a protein bar to my workout routine as I gear up to my first half marathon...Any recommendations?

I'd like to use it for my long 11 and 12 miles runs.

Thanks!
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options

Ha ha, to each his own I guess. :) It's probably a good thing we don't all enjoy the same protein bars, or there'd be a bunch of manufacturers going out of business! To your "rubbery" I say "chewy". And there are no artificial ingredients in these puppies at all, another reason I feel ok about eating them.
    Isomalt is not natural =P
    That's where they derive the "Fiber"

To the other poster that feared the fiber, it's not like most fiber. I found little no effect from eating it. The isomalt-oliggosacharides are chemically modified starches from grains and such which makes them not digestable.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I want to add a protein bar to my workout routine as I gear up to my first half marathon...Any recommendations?

I'd like to use it for my long 11 and 12 miles runs.

Thanks!

I'd say avoid most because they're nothing but refined carbs and some are nothing more than expensive candy bars. I occasionally get some when I'm traveling because they're still better than not eating or eating crap. If I have to buy a protein bar I like Optimum Nutrition's Crispy Whey bars.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Premier Nutrition (you can get them in the protein bar aisle at WM OR they sell a big box at Sam's Club).

The chocolate peanut butter one is the best one. It is 280 calories, 30g of protein and 8g of sugar. It doesn't have high fructose corn syrup or sugar alcohols in them (which is HUGE for me as I have horrible reactions to both!)

Best of all? They're like $1/bar!
    Agreed! I got the 15 pack @ Sams Club all three flavors taste great, my favorite is Yogurt Peanut Crunch. I usually eat 1/2 before my am workout & 1/2 the other 1/2 later in the day for my afternoon treat :smile:
    And NO digestive issues(gas/bloating/contipation) that some other bars give me.
    By the way the Premier Nutrition RTD Protein shakes are yummy too 160 calories, 30g protein, 2 net carbs
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Isomalt is not natural =P
    That's where they derive the "Fiber"

The ingredient in the Quest bars is Isomalto-Oligosaccharides which is indeed a natural nutrient sweetener that is refined from starch through enzymatic hydrolysis. The entire process uses all natural enzymes to convert the starch into the final product ... there are no man-made chemicals used in the process, thus it can be classified as all natural.
  • exdisneychick
    Options
    Nature Valley has new chewy protein bars and I like the peanut butter dark chocolate. I'm not sure if they are the best for you but they don't break me out. I have found others that have "bad" stuff in them will eventually break me out. I really like them and they don't give me gas! I am going to check out the Quest bars though. I'm always open to new healthy things. stinks they always cost so much!

these are the ones we get. I also cant justify spending $25 for such few bars. We get the Nature Valley from Sams club 18 in a box for less than $9!...
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Premier. Can get them individually at WM.

I also like Pure Protein too because Whey based (instead of soy) for the chocolate one.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I go for Zone Perfect