How often do you step on the scale/measure?

Options
This is so bad, but I step on my scale every day! Eevery morning I get out of bed, go pee, get undressed and weigh myself before I get in the shower. Sometimes I go to the gym before work so I will weigh myself before and after and I know I am crazy! Everytime I am like you know you should only do this once a week!! But I can't help it :( I haven't seen a lot of results yet so I am just so anxious and everytime I get on I'd like to magically lose 5 pounds! I did measure myself, but I don't do that as often even though I know that's what I should be doing!! So crazy. I am thinking about moving my scale into another room that is not as easy for me to access and just working hard through the week and weighing myself once a week. But do people do once a week or biweekly measurements? I feel like biweekly would be better, but I'm the girl who steps on the scale every day so I know my judgement is less than that of an expert!!

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    hi there! this is my first post ever on mfp. :D

i also step on every morning...before any intake (even water), before shower, after any expulsions (sry).
    i know i shouldnt do it (or so they say), but i justify it by trying to keep daily track of where i stand and how i need to adjust my behavior between then and my "official" friday morning weigh-ins.

i dont think there is a right or wrong here, so i vote you do what you wanna do for YOU. :happy:
  • meechster20001
    meechster20001 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm going through an obsessive daily phase with the same 2 pounds coming on and off every other day!
  • yocaitygee
    Options
    hi there! this is my first post ever on mfp. :D

i also step on every morning...before any intake (even water), before shower, after any expulsions (sry).
    i know i shouldnt do it (or so they say), but i justify it by trying to keep daily track of where i stand and how i need to adjust my behavior between then and my "official" friday morning weigh-ins.

i dont think there is a right or wrong here, so i vote you do what you wanna do for YOU. :happy:

YAY welcome to the site/forums!!!! :):) Thank you for this advice!!!! It is good advice and I think it tells me to get the scale OUT! HAHA it only makes me frustrated and is not working! I did it to keep daily track as well, but I think while I am still in the stages of no results :sad: I should just take it week by week! Thanks :)
  • nutrientnatalie
    Options
    I try to only stick to once a week, but recently I'm trying to wait a month before I weigh again. I feel like the scale can be discouraging at times if it doesn't say what I want on it. I don't measure that much, usually once about every 2 months. As long as you don't become obsessive with it, that's fine, just know that the scale isn't always right! Measuring is your best bet.
  • juliexiuu
    juliexiuu Posts: 118
    Options
    I used to step on everyday then I got too obsessed with the number on the scale.

I've now told myself I'm not going to step on the scale until I see the difference, I take measurements though. :o
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Every day for several years. I only count the new lows, however.
  • yocaitygee
    Options
    I'm going through an obsessive daily phase with the same 2 pounds coming on and off every other day!

That is me too!! I can't stand it! And with none lost to begin with! I am thinking about going to visit a personal trainer at the YMCA that I am a member of (non members can go tooooo!!!) and making a plan with a professional since my plan just doesn't seem to be working for me! Some advice: if you are just starting out try to play around with your calories and see what works for you with calories and exercise! I always compare it to medication, sometimes the first medication you try just simply does not work for your individual person and it's the same with exercise! Trial and error! But if you have been going and just reached a plateau there are still things you can do! My roommate started adding just one serving of plain almonds to her diet everyday and got off her plateau! There is also something called calorie cycling, have you heard of it??

http://www.livestrong.com/article/129304-calorie-cycling-lose-weight/

This is just one website, but you should Google it! I always say it basically "keeps your metabolism on the tips of its metaphorical toes!" I'm an English major and a nerd, so at least I enjoy it! :smile: Anyways! Don't get discouraged! I am saving calorie cycling for when I start losing consistently and hit a plateau rather than just starting out because I don't think my metabolism is rebelling I think I just have simply not found what works specifically for me yet!

Good luck and keep working :)
  • Wreak_Havoc
    Wreak_Havoc Posts: 597
    Options
    I step on the scales every morning just as a progress check, nothing more. Friday however is my weekly day of reconning.. LOL Weight, neck, waist, hips. So far, I'm dead on track for my loss program.
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to my scale...sometimes I'll be good and skip a day...sometimes I'm out of control and jump on there a few times a day.

Bad habit!
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Every day - in the AM and at night before bed. You learn a lot about your body as long as you don't let the wild swings that will happen bother you. They are real and it is what happens.

Only log the drops on MFP though - if you log an overnight gain and then the loss the following day, MFP pops it on your wall like you lost another pound. Kind like you do that daily for a year - it will look like you lost 100 lbs by the wall posts but in the end you weigh the same exact weight as you started!
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Every single morning and every single night. :)
  • yocaitygee
    Options
    I step on the scales every morning just as a progress check, nothing more. Friday however is my weekly day of reconning.. LOL Weight, neck, waist, hips. So far, I'm dead on track for my loss program.

Thanks to everyone for all your great advice! And I wanted to say congratulations for being on track!!! Sometimes people set themselves up unrealistically, but it sounds like you probably picked a great plan for you! Great job :drinker:
  • radradradradrad
    radradradradrad Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i measure and weigh every friday morning! i'm so good during the week that i know i'll see a true measure of my work then, rather than after a naughty weekend when i'm holding water.

any more than that and i think i'd cry from frustration!

p.s. scales are evil! you HAVE GOT TO measure to really understand the improvements your making!!!!! it's motivation to say the least!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Once a week, friday morning, before breakfast
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    prettty much every morning, right after I pee but before I eat, all clothes on
  • busymommyx3
    busymommyx3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Girl I am right there with you! I hate waking up early for work but Im not going to lie sometime the excitement of getting up and hopping on the scale is the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning lol! I am working so hard and I just want to see the results of that hard work and I can't wait. I have told myself that I should only weigh once a week but it is sooooo hard :) However I only get upset if I haven't seen any weightloss in like 3-5 days. I truly don't expect to lose every single day (even though it does happen once in a while) so if it doesn't happen its okay. Right now I am frustrated because I haven't lost a single half a pound in about 4 days ugh!! Anyway I just wanted to tell you you're not alone, and hang in there the weight WILL come off! :tongue:
  • yocaitygee
    Options
    I'm addicted to my scale...sometimes I'll be good and skip a day...sometimes I'm out of control and jump on there a few times a day.

Bad habit!

I know! I'm worried I'm getting obsessed!!! But be careful about the multiple times a day! You can get some bad readings just due to water you drank! The food you ate and what you drank and just going through your day will add some poundage! If it works for you great, but just beware :noway:
  • kimberlilynn
    kimberlilynn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure every six weeks.

The scale affects my mood TOO much! A good WI and I'm fine but a negative WI and I am hard to deal with! I like my hubby & kids too much to keep putting them through it.

So in 6 weeks of good foods & exercise I always show a loss. Happy mommy, happy family!
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself probably 3 times a day. The only weigh in I truly count though is the one in the morning right after i wake up and use the restroom.

The only reason I weigh myself the other 2 times is not to see if my weights changed. I just like to view the impact the food I have been eating has on the number on the scale. For some odd reason I get a kick of seeing my weight being 202 after drinking 2lbs of water. Guess I'm weird like that. lol
  • JanaJones87
    Options
    For me, once a week! My friends and I all do it together, we call it "weigh in Wednesday's"!! The scale IS and can be very discouraging... And it can be your best friend or your worst nightmare. So practice a lil self-control and let the anticipation of waiting a week to weigh in be your motivation :-)