Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    It wont kill you, I drink 14 gallons a day and I'm still alive
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Ive had a 3 DC a day habit for 15 years that I started to ween down on this week. By the end of next week I plan to be off DC for good. Why, because the carbonation always makes me hungry and the caffine makes me have highs and lows. Want a more even keel throughout the day. Yes, I'm getting headaches but advil is helping with that and its getting less and less. I can already feel that I'm less hungry which will hopefully keep me from snacking so much.

The directe effects of DC being no sugar and only 1 calories isnt bad, but the side afffects, hunger, mood swings, energy spikes are real deterrents to success for me at least.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 2-3 a day and as you can see from my results...........
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I believe some of the more superstitious sects of clean eaters believe that it must be blessed by the Grand Poobah otherwise it is dangerous.

I personally don't see a problem with artificial sweeteners, but we're all allowed our opinions.
  • meadowmail77
    meadowmail77 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Some say that artificial sweeteners trick your body into releasing insulin. When insulin is running through your veins (about 3 hours after a high glycemic meal) your body only burns sugar as energy and can't burn fat. So, I'm staying away from sweeteners, including diet sodas. Plus, I have a hard time staying asleep after a day that I've had a diet soda. Gave them up in January. If nothing else, I'm savin $2-5/day

One of my professors a few years ago did a experiment on this. He found that those who had diet soda vs. regular soda would eat more.
    Other studies have shown similar results.

I never liked the after taste from diet soda when I decided to give up soda, I gave them all up. I have to say I feel so much better now. I pretty much just drink water. I've just started adding green tea to my diet. Once in a while I will have lemonade, oj, or wine. I can go days on just water though :) I use to think people who did that were crazy.. and never thought I'd be one of them! lol
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Mmmm toxicity.
    Diet drinks always made me more hungry.
    I haven't had one in 7 months. I don't miss them.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    It's all tasteless crap. But has water so it does at least hydrate.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I drink about half a litre of diet cola a day (we use a sodastream, which makes 1 litre bottles...husband and I split one bottle at dinner). Compared to what I used to drink (at least 5 cans a day of diet coke with lime), that is a great improvement.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I drink them daily.

There isn't enough sodium in them to concern me.

Sure, artificial sweeteners may not be the greatest things in the world for you but they haven't been proven to actually hurt weight loss. Asparatame in part is also from proteins (sorry, can't think of the scientific information behind it).

Unless you find that they affect you and your body I wouldn't worry about them! We all handle ingredients differently so if you're fine, drink on.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yes it will.

Carbonated drinks (all of them, includes sparkling water, etc.) will turn the PH balance in your body to Acid. Which means, it's more difficult for your body to lose weight (courtesy of my Homeopathic Doctor)

Aspartame & other artificial sweeteners are also cancer-causing, and rot your teeth enamel and cause cavities as well.

That being said...

If you are a major cola fan (like me), I drink beverages that are caffeine free & sweetened with Splenda. The varieties sweetened with Spenda are increasing... Splenda is much better for you because it's made from actual sugarcane, not chemicals. It's more natural.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, fantastic. My daily treat is two tiny squares of very dark, very rich chocolate. If someone tried to take my chocolate away, I'd rip his arms off. I will have a Coke Zero once or twice a month. I don't drink Diet Coke anymore because it makes me hungry.
    I do drink La Croix almost every day. It's just carbonated water with natural flavor. It's not sweet at all but it satisfies the craving for something fizzy.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it every day...diet soda for me is a "treat" on the weekends (weird to say that a DIET soda is a treat)....but i know a lot of people do and they are fine....do what you are comfortable with!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yes it will.

Carbonated drinks (all of them, includes sparkling water, etc.) will turn the PH balance in your body to Acid. Which means, it's more difficult for your body to lose weight (courtesy of my Homeopathic Doctor)

Aspartame & other artificial sweeteners are also cancer-causing, and rot your teeth enamel and cause cavities as well.

That being said...

If you are a major cola fan (like me), I drink beverages that are caffeine free & sweetened with Splenda. The varieties sweetened with Spenda are increasing... Splenda is much better for you because it's made from actual sugarcane, not chemicals. It's more natural.

As a rule if a Homeopathic Doctor says something you know it is a load of rubbish. ergo, diet drinks are fine.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but y'all are crazy... Aspartame is terrible for you. It's a toxic chemical.

Their are alot of things when taken too much of it is toxic, water can be toxic also if you drink too much of it water intoxication, Anything in moderation I drink it aslo, probably too much but I am ok with it today.

There’s all this talk about aspartame and being cancerous, and toxic... No.

I worked for part of my microbiology study with aspartame. Aspartame DOES cause "upset stomach" in some people, as well as excess can cause diarrhea. That is because aspartame has the same taste as sugar, but fits into molecular structure differently. The body CANNOT USE this "sugar" so it expels it through our waste. Aspartame DOES like to attract water, which if there is excess aspartame molecules attracting and bonding to water in your digestive tract it will give you runnier stools.
    Aspartame DID cause issues with mice that we worked with, but that was due to them having DIFFERENT digestive processes then humans. Aspartame has no proven medical toxicity.

Otherwise, don’t eat a TON of aspartame, unless you have an iron stomach, or you might feel like your stomach is gurgling, and then looser stools.
    Other than that...

I’m not saying that i know this as law, but I worked with it and did extensive tests on human, and animal for months with Scientists that had their Doctorates. I believe them over people who read dumb media "facts".

Diet soda is fine.
    I drink it all the time.
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    It's fine.

Ever pound I lost was soaked, saturated, marinated in Coke Zero. I PROMISE it won't slow your results.

^^THIS^^
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

This statement is not based on valid science.

See: my ticker.
  • redrover
    redrover Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas don't have calories and sugar, but they do trick your body into craving sweets, and as noted above, screw up your body's insulin response. They make you fat by changing your metabolic system. When in doubt go with the basic rule: garbage in, garbage out.
  • verbalriot
    Options
    I'm not one to tell someone what to put or not put in their body - that's a personal decision. If you drink it and it doesn't affect you negatively, why not?

Personally, I don't drink it for health reasons...See this recent article in the NY Times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/health/research/diet-soft-drinks-linked-to-risk-of-heart-disease.html

I do drink flavored seltzer pretty regularly though.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think one a day isn't too bad. It just depends on what you want to treat yourself with :)
    I used to drink at least one regualr soda a day, and when I quit them cold turkey I lost 10lbs in a month! Now they don't even sound good to me. A few months ago I took two sips of a coke and thought I was going to get sick. Plus I know they aren't the most horrible thing in the world for you, but I never hear anything good about them....

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/4-health-side-effects-of-diet-soda.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/197759-the-effects-of-drinking-diet-pop/
    http://www.emedexpert.com/tips/soft-drinks.shtml
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is perfectly fine in my opinion. People say it has chemicals....well most foods/drinks do.

I could understand that they may "trick" the mind into you craving foods, but thats will power.