Diet Coke ok. Right...?

Options

Replies

• joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    IMHO, Diet Coke is fine, and also makes life worth living.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Why do you need substitutes?

Like fifty people came by and told you it's fine. Safe, doesn't slow down anything, completely 100% FINE.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Lol @ splenda being poison.

Troll harder
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    soda is already a "fake" drink. add in faker sugar and its just too much.

i was addicted to coke 0 cherry flavor until i read that they make your body crave sugar.

Depends on the person. Simple carbs like white bread will make someone hungrier much faster than whole grains. Sodium makes you retain water. Everything in moderation.
  • jenn32399
    jenn32399 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    a good friend of mine is a trainer at the local gym. This is the advice she gave me on beverages, and ever since I changed to this I've noticed a difference. Only a slight difference so far since I only started this week.

"water intake is important to help build lean muscle and melt body fat. drink 1/2 your body weight in fluid ounces (ex: 200lbs=100oz of water.) if you consume any caffeine products or diuretics, drink an extra 12oz of water for every 8oz of caffeinated beverage."

hope this helps
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I just chop up packets of sweet n low and snort them.......im totally fine

Never thougt of this lol this one made me laugh good one
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    i tend to have at least one diet pop a day and it hasn't stopped me...
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've asked my doctor about this on Tuesday (as i've recently switched from sugar and was worried due to all the bad stuff i've read online about sweeteners). He said that diet drinks/artificial sweeteners are fine. Obviously water is even better but he assured me that using these will not do any harm.

Also as a wee example, my grandma has been using artificial sweeteners every day of her life for as long as i can remember (and i'm now 30) and she is almost 90 and in brilliant health for her age! So i'd say go for it.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    So, I drink one Diet Sprite or Dt. Mt. Dew, or Dr. Pepper, (just depending on what I want) a day on my drive home. Since those diet drinks have no cals, or carbs, and I think the sugar is pretty low, if not 0, their ok right? It's one a day, and shouldn't stop me from loosing....???

It depends on your definition of okay. Artificial sweeteners have been implicated in weight gain, if that's what you're asking, but it really doesn't matter if they are in diet soda, Crystal Light, "flavored water," or coffee or tea, according to a study done at Purdue University and published in the International Journal of Obesity in April 2004. http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v28/n7/full/0802660a.html
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I had to give up DC. :cry: I was getting TERRIBLE headaches. I tried elimination diets, brain scans, yoga to relieve stress and then my doctor said it was time to give up the sweet nectar from the gods. I had a good cry and then drank up a giant Diet Coke (with a good shot or two of rum) and said goodbye. After I recovered from my last body crippling headache I haven't had even a twinge of pain. Does that mean that DC is the devil? I doubt it. I drank DC for 20 effing years!!! I still crave it. I switched to ICED TEA...:drinker: because I have to have something cold and full of caffiene during the day.

Drink what you want. It certainly won't keep you from losing weight - I've lost weight after 3 babies drinking gallons of diet coke!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Look up Aspartame... It's TOXIC... Diet sodas ALWAYS stall me, ALWAYS. Your body is better off without any artificial sweeteners whatsoever.
    Lies. Show that actual toxicity factor from diet soda. It's no more toxic than eating fruit and vegetables.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I drink one first thing when I get to work in the morning. I dont think it has stalled me. I refuse to give it up. I know its not the absolute best but its not going anywhere.

However, I am on MFP and eating the way I am because it is NOT restrictive (no carbs, no sugar, only protein, etc). If I were to get on something like that I know I would only last like 2 days and be pi$$y most of those 48 hours.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    One of my professors a few years ago did a experiment on this. He found that those who had diet soda vs. regular soda would eat more.
    Other studies have shown similar results.
    But none of the studies showed that is was the diet soda that caused more eating. Psychologically if someone thought they were ingesting less calories they could eat more. That's just common sense.

IDEA Fitness member
  • FitLink
    Options
    a good friend of mine is a trainer at the local gym. This is the advice she gave me on beverages, and ever since I changed to this I've noticed a difference. Only a slight difference so far since I only started this week.

"water intake is important to help build lean muscle and melt body fat. drink 1/2 your body weight in fluid ounces (ex: 200lbs=100oz of water.) if you consume any caffeine products or diuretics, drink an extra 12oz of water for every 8oz of caffeinated beverage."

hope this helps

It is the sweetener in diet soda that is the problem. It mucks with the body's ability to regulate hunger in relation to calories. Caffeine is so mild a diuretic it's unmeasurable, and there is NO REASON to consume water to replace water due to caffeine content. A cup of coffee is essentially water and counts as one cup of water. Adding 12 ounces of water for every 8 ounces of caffeinated beverage is absurd and unnecessary.

This is the Mayo Clinic's advice: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661 They are DOCTORS, not trainers at a gym.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yes it will.

Carbonated drinks (all of them, includes sparkling water, etc.) will turn the PH balance in your body to Acid. Which means, it's more difficult for your body to lose weight (courtesy of my Homeopathic Doctor)
    Lol, you do realize that the stomach has hydrochloric acid in it and everything we eat goes through there right? Bet your homeopathic doc won't figure that one out.
    Aspartame & other artificial sweeteners are also cancer-causing, and rot your teeth enamel and cause cavities as well.
    No that would be sugar. Ask any dentist.

IDEA Fitness member
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am a diet coke addict. Although I have cut my consumption down from 10 - 12 a day to my present 4 a day I only did that so I could get in more water. I don't think it has affected my weight loss in any way.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Diet sodas don't have calories and sugar, but they do trick your body into craving sweets, and as noted above, screw up your body's insulin response. They make you fat by changing your metabolic system. When in doubt go with the basic rule: garbage in, garbage out.
    Let's see the peer reviewed scientific study for the opinion you're stating here. Misinformation is bad.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Imprtant to remember that each body reacts a little different to what we put in our body, based on the comorbidities like hypertension, diabetes, and coronary artery disease. Also medications we take alter our metabolim. aspartame is toxic to rats, which a lot of our medications today are tested on. When the blood/brain barrier was decreased in rats, and aspartame was able to breach this barrier, instant death occurred in the rats as their brains shrunk. This is why pilots are not allowed to have any drinks containing aspartame before or during flight. To a certain extent, unles you are growing your own food in your backyard, most every food you put in your has come in contact with chemicals that are not good for your body, or easy for your liver to digest. The hoopla (good and bad) coming from processed food and products is that they increased the inflammation in our arteries and veins as they are not used to dealing with the chemicals we put in our body. This is why plaque gets caught in our arteries and viens, due to the inflammation. So while everything in moderations is potentially would not hurt most people, everyone when doing serious dieting should be monitored at some point by their health care professional to receive a baseline on what is normal FOR YOU. If you want to read some more information on what processed chemicals and foods due to our bodies, here is the guru of cardiovascular health,

http://www.laleva.org/eng/2012/03/world_renown_heart_surgeon_speaks_out_on_what_really_causes_heart_disease-print.html
    Isn't this the guy who got his licensed taken away?

IDEA Fitness member
  • FitLink
    Options
    One of my professors a few years ago did a experiment on this. He found that those who had diet soda vs. regular soda would eat more.
    Other studies have shown similar results.
    But none of the studies showed that is was the diet soda that caused more eating. Psychologically if someone thought they were ingesting less calories they could eat more. That's just common sense.

IDEA Fitness member

You are correct that the SODA wasn't linked to the weight gain, but the artificial SWEETENER was. The Purdue study was done with RATS. Rats aren't informed as to the calorie count of the food they're given and have no beliefs as the the number of calories consumed. Artificial sweeteners are associated with weight gain even when they are not told and cannot know the calorie content of what they're eating. http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v28/n7/full/0802660a.html
  • Mwood8
    Mwood8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have to have a diet coke occasionally. It is my one vice, I've never really liked regular sodas, but I have a diet coke once a day, or every other day. I know water would be better for my body, but I'm pretty sure something in occasion won't kill me...and in the end, something is going to kill us eventually anyways :) My thoughts are that you need to allow yourself to indulge occasionally, or I'll end up splurging in the end.