The "eating healthy is expensive" myth

Options
12346»

Replies

• calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    it's honestly about the same. i still buy a lot of "convenience foods" which can be expensive, but fresh and frozen aren't too bad. i generally only buy store brand too, i'm not that picky.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    So I looked at this with the hope of what would show me cheaper ways to eat healthy. You can NOT buy most of those items they show for the prices they show. Bananas are at least 55 cents a lb, and most of the fruits are very expensive here. I shopped beans and those were nearly $4 for a bag, even a small bag wasn't cheap. It all depends on -where you live- and what they have to ship into the area where you live. Even canned veggies here are over $1 a can. Frozen is nearly $4-5, fresh doesn't last that long and isn't cheap. I buy foods to fix for both of us, but buy more healthy snacks for me to eat outside the home since he's home. This whole thing is frustrating. Yes, I revived the topic, but I had so much hope when I came to this topic.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    For me the expense has risen - I'm shopping more often and buying a new variety of things - some of which does amount to more than I'd get if i wasn't worrying about my weight.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    While I agree with this, I only agree to a point and it really depends on a person's living situation. Where I am, a lot of the food has a hefty shipping cost. The area is very low income, and everyone is obese. No one can AFFORD the good stuff. Plus the drive to get it is 45 minutes down the highway, which is gas money someone might not have.

Might be easier to just go down to the one gas station in town and buy a pizza from them rather than pay for a car ride into town.

Generally, for people living in large urban areas, YES the eating healthy thing being expensive is a myth. But for a poor, rural community in northern Canada, it most certainly is not.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    O HAHA I guess I have been doin it all wrong.. cuz I find yea its a lil cheaper but I also tend to run out of my healthy foods faster :/ Like for examples: Banana's gone in 1 wk, peanut butter gone in 11 days, bagged beans gone the day i make them or my have left overs for a few days thats it.. and alot of the healthy food it just goes soooooooo fast.. so yea, its cheaper but then its not. CUZ U IMMEDIATELY HAVE TO CONSTANTLY BE BUYING FOOD AGAIN :)
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The chicken one would not cost $6, it would be much more than that!

Our bills are way up because of our healthy eating but I wouldn't change it- we are healthier because of it and therefore use less medication, less doctor trips/hospital trips, etc. Our health is much better because of it.

Personally, I don't feel that those processed soy burgers are healthy for you, either. That is not real, raw food that grows on a tree, but some people do feel it's healthy.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Honestly - I think it can be cheaper, or It can be more expensive. For me it is cheaper to eat healthy - because I can cook all my food from basic ingredients. I have transport to get me to the shops, I have gas and power and a well set up kitchen.

It really depends on your level of knowledge of healthy choices, your ability to meal plan, shop smart and cook well, and the availability of basic healthy ingredients in your area.

Unfortunately many people who don't have much money also don't always have all those skills and may not have transport to get to bulk buy places or farmers markets where you can get cheap healthy food.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Honestly - I think it can be cheaper, or It can be more expensive. For me it is cheaper to eat healthy - because I can cook all my food from basic ingredients. I have transport to get me to the shops, I have gas and power and a well set up kitchen.

It really depends on your level of knowledge of healthy choices, your ability to meal plan, shop smart and cook well, and the availability of basic healthy ingredients in your area.

Unfortunately many people who don't have much money also don't always have all those skills and may not have transport to get to bulk buy places or farmers markets where you can get cheap healthy food.

This!!!! =D Well said!
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    for me the price seems higher now but I am noticing with potion control I still have a lot of some things left over and I'm half way thru the week. I am eating perishable first and I do buy canned instead of dried beans. but as I get a handle on this I expect it to go down. I am not shopping extra during week for cr@p. I am planning out my meals.