ITT: Ask me anything about losing weight..

Options

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am just a little confused about the estimated calorie/day number. I am 21yrs old, 166lbs, 5"4' and I have calculated my total resting energy expenditure to be 1600 calories per day. The way I understand, I need to be at a net of less than 1600 cals/day to lose weigth. However this site is telling me my goal should be 1200 calories perday. That seems too low, considering my weight and how much I am used to eating. I would like to lose a moderate amount of weight (1-2lbs/week). So I guess my question is, what caloric goal should I be striving for?

Where are you getting your resting energyexpenditure number from?

TDEE does seem low.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
    I probably should have tried more than one..but 1600cals seemed like the right number...
    Guess I should also mention I am female :)

The 1600 seems really low. It seems like it is your BMR and not your TDEE. What assumptions did you use?
  • suziecue66
    Options
    FYI, Sublog has left the building.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    I probably should have tried more than one..but 1600cals seemed like the right number...

The 1600 seems really low. It seems like it is your BMR and not your TDEE. What assumptions did you use?

Why don't you just try 1600 cslories for the week and see if you lose.
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

This is a very good suggestion - I would however give it a couple of weeks (takes a little while for your body to get used to the different level).
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations on that amazing loss!

Bumping for future reference :smile:
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

This is a very good suggestion - I would however give it a couple of weeks (takes a little while for your body to get used to the different level).

Assumptions? I ate about 1400 today and was pretty full most of the day. I didn't exercise though, only did errands.
    I will have to do some research I think, this is all very confusing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Assumptions? I ate about 1400 today and was pretty full most of the day. I didn't exercise though, only did errands.
    I will have to do some research I think, this is all very confusing.

I was asking for the assumptions as I was trying to determine the activity level you were selecting as 1600 looked really low for a TDEE. However, if I run your numbers through http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ I get that your BMR not your TDEE is about 1600.
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    Oh I was just wondering what you meant by assumptions, sorry. I chose my activity as sedentery, however I exercise on and off, not consistently at the moment. At the low active level it gave me 1900 calories.
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    Oh I was just wondering what you meant by assumptions, sorry. I chose my activity as sedentery, however I exercise on and off, not consistently at the moment. At the low active level it gave me 1900 calories.
    Hm okay. So i went to that website, my BMR is 1600. And at lightly active level I need 2000 calories.. so I think I will tweak that a little lower and see how that works. I think I will take your advice and try 1600/day
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

No worries - I was not very clear.
  • CindyCountingCalories
    CindyCountingCalories Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later :)
  • cimonroe
    cimonroe Posts: 36
    Options
    Hey I'll try and keep this short and simple...because I'm sure you have your hands full. Im 34 male college student (pretty sedentary except for my workouts) about 18% BF @ 200lbs. My goal is single digit% BF and I don't care much about increasing a lot of muscle mass. I'm doing P90X consistently and I'm on day 10. This diet thing is pretty overwhelming....I'm a former college athlete and ate whatever and was about 180lb 6% BF and healthy and strong. But I'm not doing the mind-blowingly hard workouts I used to do. Could u take a look at my diary and comment?? Much appreciated!
    -Chase
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Love the advice, great read and informative. Congrats on the weight loss
  • cimonroe
    Options
    Do you buy into the thought that a "cheat day" will rev up metabolism?

Hey sweat pea- I think the "cheat day" is not a good habit to get into. A "cheat meal" ultimately won't hurt your results long term. Check out the ABS DIET for more on this idea...it sounds reasonable to me at least.
  • suziecue66
    Options

Hey sweat pea- I think the "cheat day" is not a good habit to get into. A "cheat meal" ultimately won't hurt your results long term. Check out the ABS DIET for more on this idea...it sounds reasonable to me at least.

I don't know I think it could work for weight loss and during maintenance. At maintenance you eat well 5 days per week giving you wiggle room on the weekends to be social. Calorie cycling is also good keeping your body guessing.
    Cimonroe, Sublog is not answering questions anymore. He left after a disagreement.
  • cimonroe
    Options

I don't know I think it could work for weight loss and during maintenance. At maintenance you eat well 5 days per week giving you wiggle room on the weekends to be social. Calorie cycling is also good keeping your body guessing.
    Cimonroe, Sublog is not answering questions anymore. He left after a disagreement.

I see that now. It took me awhile to get past all the arguing... it was good while it lasted though! Great start of a thread wow.
  • SandyQ229
    SandyQ229 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who asked me if she should bump her calories up, after I told her I went to a dietitian who upped my calories because I'm burning way more than I thought. She said that what she's been doing has been working, so my first thought was to keep doing what's working for her, and when she stops losing to eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks and then switch it up. But I'm not certified in anything, and only know what I've read, so I'm asking here in hopes of getting a better answer for her. TIA! :flowerforyou:

I think the answer really depends on how long she has been on a VLCD (and how much of a deficit she was on).

so i am the friend who asked. umm what exactly is VLCD? sorry i am trying to figure this all out and im so confused.
  • xsaribarix
    xsaribarix Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Help for those with Night Eating Syndrome, PLEASE! D':