ITT: Ask me anything about losing weight..

Options

Replies

• Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Fact: If you jump in on a MFP thread on the 8+ page you are jumping in on an argument. :grumble:
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I have a question and can use some advise.
    I am pretty much at my goal weight. My maintenance calories on mfp is 1700. However I was eat at .5lb a week which is 1470 and eating back my calories. I seemed to maintain fine with that. I am doing Insanity and bumped up my calories to 1570 to start month 2. I did that a few weeks ago and now I have gained weight, not muscle. It looks like fat on my stomach! That is what I cant get rid of. I just lowered my cals back to 1470. Is that really my maintenance calories?
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    To the RN and the other naysayers.....Sublog started this thread saying that he was NOT an expert....he was simply sharing what worked for him. Based on his weight loss, (which is why we are ALL here....) I think he is speaking from good experience.

While I agree not everyone can have the same results taking the same course...it does help to get helpful advice from others that are where you want to be.

Some doctors/nutritionists will agree with what he says, I am sure....and, I am sure some would disagree as well. Here's a newsflash...if this were easy, we would all be perfectly fit and therefore would have no need for this site!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I am off my box now...I just think some need to step off Sublog...he never claimed to be a professional...just a success story.
    Im not sure where he said he was not an expert? Can you quote where he said he was not an expert? That's ok, he's got experience, and if he can help a few, that's awesome. Im just saying what I have learned. Im not trying to "ditz on him" like he did to me telling me off when I simply asked a person if she had looked at her sugar intake. That was simply that. Read back and see. And for those who want a "link' to some scientific information supporting the fact that eliminating simple sugars can reduce belly fat, here ya go. Here's one that I found. http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Abdominal-fat-and-what-to-do-about-it.htm
    Here's another... http://www.conci.com/weight-loss-tips/studies-link-excessive-sugar-intake-to-belly-fat

Please actually quote a study and not an article that refers to a study with no reference to what exact study.
    The last link above is a study :wink:
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    bump..loads of interesting info..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To the RN and the other naysayers.....Sublog started this thread saying that he was NOT an expert....he was simply sharing what worked for him. Based on his weight loss, (which is why we are ALL here....) I think he is speaking from good experience.

While I agree not everyone can have the same results taking the same course...it does help to get helpful advice from others that are where you want to be.

Some doctors/nutritionists will agree with what he says, I am sure....and, I am sure some would disagree as well. Here's a newsflash...if this were easy, we would all be perfectly fit and therefore would have no need for this site!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I am off my box now...I just think some need to step off Sublog...he never claimed to be a professional...just a success story.
    Im not sure where he said he was not an expert? Can you quote where he said he was not an expert? That's ok, he's got experience, and if he can help a few, that's awesome. Im just saying what I have learned. Im not trying to "ditz on him" like he did to me telling me off when I simply asked a person if she had looked at her sugar intake. That was simply that. Read back and see. And for those who want a "link' to some scientific information supporting the fact that eliminating simple sugars can reduce belly fat, here ya go. Here's one that I found. http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Abdominal-fat-and-what-to-do-about-it.htm
    Here's another... http://www.conci.com/weight-loss-tips/studies-link-excessive-sugar-intake-to-belly-fat

Please actually quote a study and not an article that refers to a study with no reference to what exact study.

Urrrr - not - they are both articles
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Fact: If you jump in on a MFP thread on the 8+ page you are jumping in on an argument. :grumble:

Even though I am one of the 'guilty parties' - this is so true.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this sublog! You're awesome! :flowerforyou: I might come back with a question at a later time. Going to get my metabolism test done tomorrow.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options

Why don't you both stop bickering, or maybe message each other if you want to continue to fight so when he returns to this thread he doesn't have to rummage through this crap to find legit questions. :noway:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Why don't you both stop bickering, or maybe message each other if you want to continue to fight so when he returns to this thread he doesn't have to rummage through this crap to find legit questions. :noway:

If you actually read the htread - he said he is not
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Read the original post - its pretty obvious that he was not purporting to be an expert at all. Please could you show me anywhere he even insiniuated it.
    I never said he was insinuating it. Never once. You said that he said he was not an expert. You said, ".Sublog started this thread saying that he was NOT an expert." Maybe someone else insinuated he was not an expert? Several have asked for his credentials. I said he "got experience" I have complimented him. But he scolded me about my remarks about sugar. I apologized. Im only chiming in now because someone else asked him for his credentials. I felt a bit insulted by his remark to me, but didnt say anything for a bit. So I simply said I was an RN, here's a few links and what I have learned about the correlation between sugar and belly fat. And that is really that. I guess if you read after page 8, you could see I was only chiming in my opinion.

Please find where I said what you think I said - I think you are very confused.

You are chiming in because you are annoyed that he asked you to take the topic to a different thread.

And I was keeping abreast of the whole thread - there you go again making those assumptions!
  • chattipatty2
    Options
    YUP, bottom of 8. And please note while reading along, I actually asked him for advice as well. I was only giving advice to the woman with the questions. Not only a nurse, but seeing what has worked for me, I was simply asking for advice from someone with more experience, and giving advice as to what has worked for me. I did state my credentials, I have been an RN for 20 years. I do not care to go finding links for studies, but I went and found a few. But I will not entertain anymore seekers. I will only reiterate what I said before. Sugar leads to insulin production. Insulin stores fat. And typically of the bellies of older women. Typically visceral. I know this by professional and personal experience. There is plenty of research to support.
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options

ohhh ok. I should have read all 12 pages then. My bad :laugh:

Carry on I guess..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Anyway, I am going to take the advice of the ealier poster and stop bickering now.

Sublog - great job on your achievement and thank you for trying to help MFP folks.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have difficulty getting in exercise due to my work schedule.
    My day goes like this:
    Up at 6:30 am to get ready for work.
    Leave at 7:30 am (hour drive)
    Work 8:30 am - 5:05 pm (15-20 min drive to job 2)
    Work 5:20 pm - 10:30 pm
    Get home at 11:30 pm
    Do normal household stuff including make breakfast, lunch and dinner for next day. Pick up kids stuff. Do dishes. Let out and feed dog and cat.
    In bed by 12:30 am (earliest)

It has been said that you need at least 8 hours sleep for good health and weight loss. I only get a max of 6 hours sleep now. Should I get less sleep to get exercise in? If the weather is good I will take a 20 min walk, 5 min to eat, the other 5 min is getting changed from business clothes to workout gear and back again (30 min lunch break). I live in the Northeast so the weather is unpredictable at best in the Spring. I can't walk in the rain or wind as I do have to go back into work. I can't look like a postchild for the homeless as it is a professional business. Suggestions would be appreciated. I have lost 52 lbs but have belly jiggle that needs to go!
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I learned more in this thread than all the others combined! Some people are unhappy, others are know it alls - both types will poo poo EVERYTHING! Thanks for making alot of things easier to understand!
  • chattipatty2
    Options

ohhh ok. I should have read all 12 pages then. My bad :laugh:

Carry on I guess..
    Danielle, you are too funny. Love your humor! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Strong reading comprehension, no where in that entire article does it say reducing simple sugars targets or reduces belly fat
    Under "Now for the Good News" It says, "Diet is also important. Pay attention to portion size, and emphasize complex carbohydrates (fruits, vegetables, and whole grains) and lean protein over simple carbohydrates such as white bread, refined-grain pasta, and sugary drinks". But I have also put other links up.

I'd like you to reread what you wrote and tell me where in that quote it says limiting or cutting out simple sugars specifically reduces belly fat

And the below link? lol without even clicking it I know it's going to be talking about epidemiological studies and you should know correlation =/=causation. Please try again

http://www.conci.com/weight-loss-tips/studies-link-excessive-sugar-intake-to-belly-fat
  • chattipatty2
    Options

Strong reading comprehension, no where in that entire article does it say reducing simple sugars targets or reduces belly fat
    Under "Now for the Good News" It says, "Diet is also important. Pay attention to portion size, and emphasize complex carbohydrates (fruits, vegetables, and whole grains) and lean protein over simple carbohydrates such as white bread, refined-grain pasta, and sugary drinks". But I have also put other links up.

I'd like you to reread what you wrote and tell me where in that quote it says limiting or cutting out simple sugars specifically reduces belly fat

And the below link? lol without even clicking it I know it's going to be talking about epidemiological studies and you should know correlation =/=causation. Please try again

http://www.conci.com/weight-loss-tips/studies-link-excessive-sugar-intake-to-belly-fat
    Nope. As I said before, I am done here. I gave my opinion way back on page 8, I have apologized for it. I have given my credentials, and I have given my professional and personal opinion based on my professional/personal experience. I have posted several links. I have even tried to explain how sugar can lead to excessive visceral fat. Now I am saying good bye, good luck to all. I don't wish to feud anymore. Again, I wish everyone the best.
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    In other words, I came here and started crap and now that I have succeeded in stopping this wonderful thread I am finally happy. Now on to destroy other positive threads!

Of course I am not quoting her, just reading between the lines!