ITT: Ask me anything about losing weight..

Options
Sublog
Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
So - I've lost a ton of weight, spent a lot of time learning about nutrition and fat loss. I've decided that I would start a thread to answer questions about weight loss.

Please expect science based answers mixed with a little of my own personal experience.

So ask away and I'll try to help answer. I obviously don't have all of the answers, but I will try to help those who don't want to start their own threads.

(can't believe I am doing this - I'll likely regret it, lol ) :) -

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,084 Member
    Options
    ((hug))
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    I read an article today in a local magazine about how low-intensity workouts can result in storing fat instead of burning it. I'm wondering how credible that information actually is... the author claimed that doing cardio exercise on a treadmill or similar machine 20-60 minutes a day for 5 days reduces blood sugar levels but isn't intense enough to burn fat, and doing it regularly makes your body store fat. The whole point of the story was that the author wanted to advocate interval training, which I understand is healthy, but don't see how it can be so much better or how calorie deficits regardless of exercise duration would make you store more body fat.

No idea if you can answer this or not but I was skeptical and was wondering if you had any thoughts to share. :D
  • Sublog
    Options
    I read an article today in a local magazine about how low-intensity workouts can result in storing fat instead of burning it. I'm wondering how credible that information actually is... the author claimed that doing cardio exercise on a treadmill or similar machine 20-60 minutes a day for 5 days reduces blood sugar levels but isn't intense enough to burn fat, and doing it regularly makes your body store fat. The whole point of the story was that the author wanted to advocate interval training, which I understand is healthy, but don't see how it can be so much better or how calorie deficits regardless of exercise duration would make you store more body fat.

No idea if you can answer this or not but I was skeptical and was wondering if you had any thoughts to share. :D

Well, low intensity cardio is a great tool to add into a well balanced diet and does aid in fat loss. Matter of fact, if you lift weights, interval training could be interfering with your weight lifting recovery. I like walking and low intensity elliptical on my non lifting days.

With that being said, yes, low intensity cardio does increase energy expenditures so it does lead to increased fat loss. The whole fat burning zone myth has been debunked.

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to lift heavy. I'm going to start with the Angry Bird Workout to build strength, balance and learn how to do everything the right way. Currently I'm losing anywhere from .5 to 2.5 lbs a day. I hear that's too fast but I have a lot to lose so I'm not sure if that's normal considering my current weight. I'm not sure if what I'm doing will be okay once I start training and I don't want to set myself up to fail. Here's where I stand currently:
    SW:263
    CW:236...lost in less than a month
    Calorie goal:1420
    5'6".
    35 yrs
    Macros set at 40/30/30. C.P.F
    I currently use Body Revolution and walk. I've been eating back most of my exercise cals.
    Thank you so much for your time!
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options

Well, low intensity cardio is a great tool to add into a well balanced diet and does aid in fat loss. Matter of fact, if you lift weights, interval training could be interfering with your weight lifting recovery. I like walking and low intensity elliptical on my non lifting days.

With that being said, yes, low intensity cardio does increase energy expenditures so it does lead to increased fat loss. The whole fat burning zone myth has been debunked.

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

Does this mean that the article is not correct?

In other words, doing low intensity cardio will NOT result in storing fat but will result in burning fat instead?
  • Sublog
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to lift heavy. I'm going to start with the Angry Bird Workout to build strength, balance and learn how to do everything the right way. Currently I'm losing anywhere from .5 to 2.5 lbs a day. I hear that's too fast but I have a lot to lose so I'm not sure if that's normal considering my current weight. I'm not sure if what I'm doing will be okay once I start training and I don't want to set myself up to fail. Here's where I stand currently:
    SW:263
    CW:236...lost in less than a month
    Calorie goal:1420
    5'6".
    35 yrs
    Macros set at 40/30/30. C.P.F
    I currently use Body Revolution and walk. I've been eating back most of my exercise cals.
    Thank you so much for your time!

I personally believe about a 1% body weight per week loss is okay - When you first start dieting, you'll likely lose a lot of water weight in the first few weeks, so expect a slow down of your weight loss. Sounds like you're off to a great start and keep up the good work!

Macros seem pretty good as well. As long as you're doing some sort of resistance training + eating a diet high in protein, you should be in pretty good shape.
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    How do I calculate how many calories I should be eating a day to lose weight. There are so many different methods out there and I have been coming up with so many different numbers.
  • Sublog
    Options

In other words, doing low intensity cardio will NOT result in storing fat but will result in burning fat instead?

Did you check out the link?
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    WooHoo! Thank you!
  • Sublog
    Options
    How do I calculate how many calories I should be eating a day to lose weight. There are so many different methods out there and I have been coming up with so many different numbers.

Remember, calculators can only give you estimates. Ultimately, you should adjust based on your results. I always advocate eating at a calorie level for a couple of weeks before deciding its too many or two few. Just try to keep as many variables static as possible. (Intake, exercise, etc)
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Bump... I want to follow along... Hope you don't mind... :)

Edited: I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS! I cannot imagine the dedication and mental toughness it took to accomplish such an amazing transformation. Truly inspiring!
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options

The basic way is to calculate your BMR, then calculate your Daily Calorie Needs, then subtract about 500 calories from your Daily Calorie Needs number to lose 1 lb per week. (7 days in a week, and 3500 calories in a pound) MyFitnessPal usually does this pretty accurately but you need to remember never to eat below your BMR number, and if you exercise, to eat the calories you burned during the exercise so that you don't accidentally burn too many in a day.

Use these links if you need help:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Bump cause I like your style;-)
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump... I want to follow along... Hope you don't mind... :)

Edited: I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS! I cannot imagine the dedication and mental toughness it took to accomplish such an amazing transformation. Truly inspiring!
    Yep!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    cool thread. so far i'm very happy with my weight loss plan. i've lost 22 pounds and have another 48-58 to go. i'm 5'5 202 pounds and 40.

at the moment i'm eating at the maintenance level of my goal weight (about 700 less than my current maintenance calories). My goal for calories is 1850 a day but I eat anywhere from 1500-2000 cals a day depending on my hunger levels. i'm losing an average of 1-2 pounds a week and lots of inches. M

my exercise plan is as follows

Sun/Tues/Thurs : 15 minutes versaclimber + 30-45 minutes of NROL4W + 15 minutes treadmill (i go as intense as i can, some days it's walking other days it's anaerobic HIIT but usually it's somewhere in the middle)

Mon/Wed/Frid : 60 minutes cardio - the intensity of the cardio depends on my energy level. but mainly i go for intervals and HIIT where my average heart rate is 160. other days (usually fridays) i only have the energy to muster an average of 135 heart rate

Sat: 30 minute run : once again how much i push myself depends on my energy and how willing my lower body is to go along with moving faster than a 13 minute mile.

Oh and i know what i wrote above doesnt include a day off, but i take them. i just leave it up to my body to tell me when to do it. when i do take a day off it's on a cardio day because i love love love my lifting days...

so after all of that, my question in.. how likely am i to plateau sometimes in the future? if i am likely to plateau with the fat loss, then is there anything i can start doing now to avoid it? basically i dont want to plateau :laugh:
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options

Did you check out the link?

Lol, no I did not before you asked but yes, I read the article in the link after that!

Well, okay, bottom line in relation to the question is that AA's article implies that the conclusion drawn by this article the PP has summarised above is not correct then.

PS. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • Sublog
    Options

so after all of that, my question in.. how likely am i to plateau sometimes in the future? if i am likely to plateau with the fat loss, then is there anything i can start doing now to avoid it? basically i dont want to plateau :laugh:
    I can honestly say, my weight loss was linear. Never stalled, never plateaued.

Remember, your body must get calories from somewhere. But at the same time, weight loss will slow down at some point. Just keep pushing yourself to tighten up everything you can control as time goes on. Basically, staying one step ahead is the key.

Keep up the great work and patience and consistency is the key!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I can honestly say, my weight loss was linear. Never stalled, never plateaued.

Remember, your body must get calories from somewhere. But at the same time, weight loss will slow down at some point. Just keep pushing yourself to tighten up everything you can control as time goes on. Basically, staying one step ahead is the key.

Keep up the great work and patience and consistency is the key!

i'm just hoping that plateauing will mean i'm close to my goal or reached it :smile:

Thanks for answering! you rock.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    This is really generous of you. I asked this earlier, with no responses. Would love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/561287-am-i-doing-this-right?page=1#posts-7926087
  • Sublog
    Options
    This is really generous of you. I asked this earlier, with no responses. Would love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/561287-am-i-doing-this-right?page=1#posts-7926087

I replied to your thread. -