ITT: Ask me anything about losing weight..

Options

Replies

• farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you. I am trying to get back into running and have started speed walking at an incline(in between 4.0-6.0 incline not sure if that matters but thought I would throw that bit of info in)for about 30 solid minutes. I am trying to bump up my time and my goal is to build my endurance. Yesterday I went for 30 minutes in the afternoon and then hopped back on and did another 30 minutes at night. So my question is does it matter if I go for an entire hour, or can I break it up 30 min morning/afternoon 30 min later in the evening? Is it all the same? What if I was feeling especially lazy and did 15 minutes, few hours later another 15 and so forth? Thanks!

Not really sure if it makes that much difference, but I'd guess if your goal was to increase your endurance, you'll likely need to push yourself longer instead of more sets.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Do you buy into the thought that a "cheat day" will rev up metabolism?
  • cmreimer
    cmreimer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump- Can't wait to come back to this when I have a bit more time. Congratulations on your success and thank you for taking the time and your experience to help others!
  • navy1984
    navy1984 Posts: 57
    Options
    Not really sure if it makes that much difference, but I'd guess if your goal was to increase your endurance, you'll likely need to push yourself longer instead of more sets.
    [/quote]

Thanks! I might shoot for 45 min.
  • jennimben
    jennimben Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! Thank you for doing this and hoping you're not regretting! One of my many questions- do you think morning workouts are better or does it matter what time of day? I am not having an easy time getting up to exercise before work but think getting your metabolism going early would be good. And does it really matter if you later in the evening if you are staying within your calories and eating healthy?
  • Sublog
    Options
    Never eat below your BMR? MFP wants me to eat around 1650 calories a day to lose a pound/week even though my BMR is estimated to 1730 a day and my TDEE is around 2160... Should I catch up my BMR?

I'm on my first week almost completed and I haven't lost anything.

Yes, I ate below my BMR for a long time when I was losing weight. Didn't hurt me or slow my metabolism at all. I don't advocate doing it, but I don't think its the devil either. Eating a diet high in protein and doing weight training can allow you more flexibility in your calorie deficits.

I think you're at a good intake goal. If you are new to counting calories, might want to double check the intakes. It's so easy to underestimate your intake. The fact is most people suck at count calories. Even people who are nutritionists can't do it right.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You are awesome for doing this btw!!!

Here's my question: I am overweight, and I want to lose that weight, but I also want to build muscle (and definitely not lose what I already have)

Here's my routine:
    Mon: 30 min elliptical/upper body (with 3, 5, and 10 lb dumbbells)
    Tues: 30 min elliptical/Lower body/abs
    Weds: 30 min elliptical/upper body/abs
    Thurs: 30 min elliptical/lower body
    Fri: 30 min elliptical/upper body
    Sat: 30 min elliptical/lower body/ abs
    Sun: rest
    (the abs totally get mixed up every week...it really just depends how beat I am)

Is this ok?? I keep hearing that this is not effective and that i'm gonna lose muscle.

Can't wait to hear you thoughts.

-Adriana

You're working your abs way too much. It's a muscle, and requires rest. Do your cardio after your resistance training, and use heavier weights. 3 lb weights won't do anything.

Losing weight is largely a function of your diet.

You ROCK!!! Thanks a bunch!!!
  • kevsprincess
    Options
    From Feb 2011- Sept 2011 I lost 50lbs. I started with weight watchers and working out at home. Zumba, hip hop abs type stuff, and some resistance bands. I have not dropped a lb since Sept! I have lost a little inches wise. I started at a gym about a month ago. I have been busting my *** daily with no weight loss. My calories on this site are set at 1460. I tend to burn between 300-400 daily. Weekends a bit less though. When I started I was not eating back my excersise calories and always had a surplus of calories. I was told to eat more ( healthy choices of course) and eat back my excersise calories. I have been doing that the last week and a half. This week I dropped a lb, but my weight has been fluctuating so much that I have doubts it's real. I'll loose 2lbs gain it back, loose a lb gain it back. It's been this way for months! I am just about to go nuts! I am very focused on my goal only 10 more lbs to go! I just can't get there! I am very discouraged, and tired! Any advice? I am a 38 yr old cw-160 goal weight 150. Thank you so much! And you are amazing! Congrats on your success!
  • Sublog
    Options
    Help, help, help! I started out tracking my exercise calories with an HRM. I lost very little weight and sometimes gained a little. So, I quit eating my exercise calories and stuck with 1200 calories per day. The first two weeks, I lost two pounds. The next two weeks, gained .3 lb. I just can't seem to lose weight no matter what I do. I am exercising 5 days a week religiously, three days at the gym and two days of walking. I am 5'1", weigh 128 lbs. and trying to get down to 118. If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Patience! With a moderate deficit, weight loss can be masked by water retention (something women have more issues than men). Wait 3 weeks before changing anything.
  • Sublog
    Options
    Do you buy into the thought that a "cheat day" will rev up metabolism?

No I don't believe in it, but sometimes it will trigger a whoosh (of weight loss) (usually due to water balance/electrolytes changing) due to the increased intake.
  • Billywoo
    Billywoo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Thanks for doing this... My question is, Im losing weight everywhere except from my spare tire. Im doing a ton of core workouts. I don't want to bulk up my abs, just slim down all around. Any tips? Also, what do you think about this CLA everyone is telling me about?
  • Sublog
    Options
    Awesome work! Thank you for doing this and hoping you're not regretting! One of my many questions- do you think morning workouts are better or does it matter what time of day? I am not having an easy time getting up to exercise before work but think getting your metabolism going early would be good. And does it really matter if you later in the evening if you are staying within your calories and eating healthy?

Nope - when you workout is a personal preference. Do it when you want to. It doesn't really make a difference to your body. Meal timing/frequency offers no advantages metabolically speaking. Focus more on hitting your daily goals instead.
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ah.
  • Sublog
    Options
    Hey there. Thanks for doing this... My question is, Im losing weight everywhere except from my spare tire. Im doing a ton of core workouts. I don't want to bulk up my abs, just slim down all around. Any tips? Also, what do you think about this CLA everyone is telling me about?

Just continue to diet and lose fat.

CLA is a waste of money IMO. I took it for a year and stopped and noticed nothing when I stopped.

Also, see this link

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/550744-the-20-most-overrated-supplements/#slide-3
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm still a little confused on tighten up my core during workouts. To make sure Im doing it correctly I suck my belly button is that how it's done.

Hope I'm not stepping on toes by interjecting, but I know what she means. When an exercise description tells you to tighten your core and proceed with the movement, it means to flex your abdominal region to increase your steadiness and balance and also to protect your vulnerable back. This is seen commonly in resistance band exercises where the bands can actually pull you off balance if you're not using proper form.

Sucking in your belly button isn't exactly how to do it. The easiest way to explain it is to say that you need to brace like you're about to be punched in the stomach. Flex your core and don't forget to breath and don't allow tension to be created in the rest of your body. It takes a little practice but you'll have an "ah-ha moment" when you feel it right. And it gives you a bonus core workout while doing other things.

Planking is a great way to practice this. If you feel pressure in your back, your probably not doing it right.
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    my question is what are some ideas of healty snacks?? also i am 190 and looking to lose about 2 pounds a week what should my calorie goal be? my last question i want to lose weight and tone my butt and arms. can you help please
  • Sublog
    Options
    How do you recommend "rebuilding" a metabolism after eating so little for a long time? I've read Leigh Peele's books and they seem sensible...

Don't know a ton about that subject I am afraid, but you might want to check into reverse dieting.
  • Sublog
    Options
    my question is what are some ideas of healty snacks?? also i am 190 and looking to lose about 2 pounds a week what should my calorie goal be? my last question i want to lose weight and tone my butt and arms. can you help please

I don't look at food as good or bad. Did you setup your account through MFP? Have you tried to start the plan? Start the plan and come back in a few weeks when you started.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Bump