Replies

• kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pihjin
    Pihjin Posts: 63
    Options
    Okay well speaking of rest I need to sleep but I'll check back in on this thread in the morning - my brain hurts from learning so much! I'll be dreaming of leptin!
    My final guess would be to have just two meals a day for a while... that way you have less than a 24hour fast (by having two 12 hour fasts) and over time that would boost your metabolism if I understand correctly?
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's part of the answer - the fast is something interesting for burning fat. From 16 to 24 hours, this is even the most interesting phase for burning fat (the metabolism higher, the the leptin levels, so the lipolysis :- )

I'd add another information. From 24 to 30 hours of fasting, we observe a metabolic crash. After 30 hours, you won't use the subdermal fat for energy, but the intra-muscular one - after 30 hours, the muscular fibers are starting to be used.
  • billmac
    billmac Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Interesting Info razi. Thanks for the tips.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Sure, but feel free to give the ideas you have :-)
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump to refer to later

I am hoping all of this ends up being sumarized into one reply so I don't have to keep going back to figure it all out.....
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump to refer to later

I am hoping all of this ends up being sumarized into one reply so I don't have to keep going back to figure it all out.....

Me too lol
  • kvhmc
    kvhmc Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I gave up reading all of this but you've got some major facts wrong, for example, epinephrine (adrenaline) and norepinephrine (noradrenaline) are synthesised in the adrenal gland not the thyroid. Plus, their actions as hormones are really in response to stressed situations so unless you're planning on scaring yourself frequently you probably won't be able to control your levels of these. I'm not sure you will be able to come up with a solution to your question on here, a large number of scientists will also be trying to solve it due to the growing obesity epidemic.

Also saw something about the respiratory quotient, not sure when anyone is ever going to be bothered to work their own ratio out?! I've worked it out in the lab a few times for experiments (I'm a medical student) and you can get unreliable results frequently; someone hyperventilating will get a number above 1 which, if taken literally, would mean they were currently 'laying down' fat.

Sorry, just think this thread has a lot of flaws.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Thanks for your answer - I'm myself far from having the knowledge here :-)
    Regarding the epinephrine/ norepinephrine stimulations, Don't sport release them ?
    The RQ is a way to measure where you are getting your energy from.
  • betholiver
    Options
    bump
  • Pihjin
    Pihjin Posts: 63
    Options
    Good morning! So no answer yet?
    Please tell me you have an answer that you will reveal!

On the plus side today I did my weight-in and I've lost a stone/14 pounds finally! I'm so happy :) No plateau for me just yet!
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Ok, sorry for the mistakes I made, next time I'll make sure to double check- one interesting thing you may have noticed is pigging out once in a while during a diet can help to make the diet more efficient. When the calories are too restricted, the diet lose it's efficiency. One interesting way would be to enjoy big meals, and bam, the loss continues. But as you know, this strategy shouldn't be applied too often, you would gain weight.
    Here is an extra information :
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826

Two group of people (Mainly women) followed a 800 calories diet, the first group had a resistance training in their program while the second had an aerobic training.
    The first group lost less bodyweight than the second one, but their RMR increased, and no loss of lean mass has been measured
    The second group lost more weight, but both fat and muscle were used,

So ?
  • Lilith47
    Lilith47 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If the fasting period increases fat burning, you should try to reach the 16 hours fast? Eat your cals in 8 hours and not eat the rest of the day? So for example eat between 10 - 18 and not eat after 18 ? Which is doable by the way, after you get used to it ;) Intermittent fasting. And you can move the eating period to any time you want, so if you train in the evening and eat say at 20 , you make your 8 hours from 12:30 - 20:30 and still have the 16 hours fast.
    Oh I like this thread, so much information! :D
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Yes, exactly, we see Intermittent Fasting show here all it's benefits :
    - increase the metabolic rate during fasting, making the burn more efficient
    - From 16 to 30 hours you burn fat, over 30 hours the lean mass starts to be attacked

We also see that :
    - Cardio training burns fat, but on low calories diet, it also attacks lean mass
    - Strenght training also burns fat (less) but keeps our lean mass intact.

We are moving, time to find a protocol for optimizing our weight loss :=)
    When you do an intensive training, you turn red, and you are unable to breath, how the hypophyse reacts ?
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks a bunch!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    In the research I've done lately, mainly in studying the Primal Blueprint and Paleo stuff, a lot of science has been showing big advantages to occasional intermittent fasting - although certainly not on a daily basis because then you just adjust, as the body is hugely versatile in making adjustments, otherwise we would not be here. Anyway what I've been reading encourages occasional intermittent fasting as well as much more strength training and less (I said less, not zero) cardio training to help keep us burning fat and not muscle. I'm only still weaning into the program though and have not lost any weight, though have begun the formation of some muscles and lost 2 more inches in my waist! This was also paired with weaning into the Primal eating, as well - so less carbs (processed carbs) and leaning more toward plants and animals.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Yes we know now intermittent fasting can be part of the solution for us :)
    Regarding the adaptation of the body to fasting, have you extra informations ?

We know we can have some cardio in order to help, strength training will burn less, but will preserve lean mass.

What about our hypophyse here ? How the growth hormon level evolve against an intensive training ?

Why would you avoid processed carbs ? - and how do you think they would optimize our weight loss ?
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    I'll add extra informations :laugh:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12137178

the HG hormon responds to sprint - while the interval hasn't been determined yet, we know it has benefits for that.

Let's sum up :

- In order to lose, we eat less (deficit)
    - Insulin needs to be calmed down
    - After 16 hours of fasting, fat is oxidized
    - After 24-30 hours, it's the intra-muscular fat which is used
    - 3 hormons come into play when the deficit is setup : GH, Epinephrine, Norepinephrine
    - The body apapts : adipocytes have their sensibility to insulin increased
    - Leptin influences your 3 hormons, it is decreases, the 3 hormons decrease - we burn less fat
    - Adaptation + 3 hormons less efficients means the fat burning gets harder
    - If you stagnate, by lowering even more the calories, the thyroid shrinks
    - By shrinking, the metabolism lowers and you will likely gain weight
    - Leptin levels lower when the bodyfat lowers and when the intakes decrease
    - Leptin receptors are enhanced via the strenght training and omega-3
    - Carbs have an influence on the leptin (it's level increase) but also insulin (more than Fat and protein which both higher it also)
    - Resistance training is the only way of preserving the lean mass
    - Cardio makes you lose more weight, but also more lean mass (so the metabolism lowers)

We know know how a diet affects the body

There is one thing left before working on our optimisation strategy :
    - What happens during a workout when we are dieting
    - Is there any influence from carbs to the muscles during and after a strength training ?