Why do I feel like CRAP on low carbs?

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• akshayam29
    Options
    low carb makes you loose weight fast....at the same pace you gain once you get back to normal diet....try to eat moderate..start taking high fiber which automatically lowers the effect of carbs......u can also go for a 20 mins intense cardio to loose that extra carbs and calories....
  • kabirsankar
    Options
    Carbs are your body's preferred source of energy, without it your body looks towards producing energy from other sources. I would definately say 50g is too low! A lot of people believe extreme low carb diets are going to make your body use its stored energy (fat) as a prime source of fuel, however, it is also going to comprimise muscle tissue that you want to keep. I would say up the carbs. After a few weeks of dieting you should try carb cycling for about two or three weeks. Check out bodybuilding.com, Jamie Eason has a great video that describes carb cycling and there should be a calculator to determine how much carbs you should eat on your low and high carb days. Hope this helps!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Did you know Dr. Kreb actually DIDN'T want that name after him? How ironic! He was specifically like.."Hey guys, don't name this cool thingy after me." And the scientific community was like.."Ok sure....LOL JK already did. BOOSH!"

I did not know that! I wonder if that's why it's got three names.... Kreb, citric acid cycle, and TCA (or something like that). Anyhow... he was an Emeritus faculty and he kinda glared at us (we were interviewing for grad school), but he was cool.

Yep, it is. I believe he named it the citric acid cycle. Totally wish I could have met him! I geeked out just when meeting the other prominent gut bacteria research lady from VT. :laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I like how some of the replies anti-low carb say to basically cut out grains/white stuff/sugars and eat healthy carbs like veggies and dairy... which is basically a low carb diet? So you're advocating a low carb diet by saying that low carb is bad and you need carbs?

To most people, low carb does not mean NO carb.

I'd recommend people watch Sugar: The Bitter Truth, it's on youtube. The truth is if you want to avoid fructose and crap like high fructose corn syrup, you pretty much have to cut out all processed foods... breads, anything that comes in a box etc. So what's left? Whole foods... meats, dairy, veggies and SOME fruit... hey, pretty low carb! Nobody is going to die from such a diet.

I lost succesfully on Atkins but I felt deprived, so I am doing something that doesn't cause me to binge on carbs. I "know" that certain foods aren't good for me, but I still enjoy them, so I allow them in moderation. Whatever it takes for me to make a life long change. Some people can eat 50 carbs a day for life and not feel deprived, because they love eating full fat foods like butter, steak, cheese... others can eat low fat for life because they enjoy eating popcorn and chicken breasts and fruit. Whatever, there's no one size fits all, do what you can stick with... but I still think everyone could benefit from consuming less HFCS and more whole foods.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth has generally been debunked by Alan Aragon. It's fear mongering at its finest, however. Accurate and truthful, not so much.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Did you know Dr. Kreb actually DIDN'T want that name after him? How ironic! He was specifically like.."Hey guys, don't name this cool thingy after me." And the scientific community was like.."Ok sure....LOL JK already did. BOOSH!"

cycleattachedbike.png
  • biancardi
    biancardi Posts: 20
    Options
    I can understand cutting out the refined carbs, but so many veggies and fruits are high in carbs - like a cup of green grapes - 27 carbs.

I cannot imagine cutting out the healthy carbs "just because". I keep my carbs under 200 - usually they are between 150-195 daily and I have lost 14 pounds since I joined here in mid february. I don't expect miracles and I have a long way to go, but I have been losing weight weekly, so I must be on the right track here.

and yes, I do partake in my granola bars!! lol
  • tigersword
    Options
    I like how some of the replies anti-low carb say to basically cut out grains/white stuff/sugars and eat healthy carbs like veggies and dairy... which is basically a low carb diet? So you're advocating a low carb diet by saying that low carb is bad and you need carbs?

I'd recommend people watch Sugar: The Bitter Truth, it's on youtube. The truth is if you want to avoid fructose and crap like high fructose corn syrup, you pretty much have to cut out all processed foods... breads, anything that comes in a box etc. So what's left? Whole foods... meats, dairy, veggies and SOME fruit... hey, pretty low carb! Nobody is going to die from such a diet.

I lost succesfully on Atkins but I felt deprived, so I am doing something that doesn't cause me to binge on carbs. I "know" that certain foods aren't good for me, but I still enjoy them, so I allow them in moderation. Whatever it takes for me to make a life long change. Some people can eat 50 carbs a day for life and not feel deprived, because they love eating full fat foods like butter, steak, cheese... others can eat low fat for life because they enjoy eating popcorn and chicken breasts and fruit. Whatever, there's no one size fits all, do what you can stick with... but I still think everyone could benefit from consuming less HFCS and more whole foods.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth has generally been debunked by Alan Aragon. It's fear mongering at its finest, however. Accurate and truthful, not so much.

Can't think of one credible author that has been right 100% of the time. Just because someone pointed something out in it that was inaccurate, i wouldn't say the entire thing is debunked.
    He didn't point out "something" inaccurate. The entire thing was inaccurate.
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Make sure to read through the comments, as well, Dr. Lustig shows up and he and Alan continue the discussion briefly.
  • darkchoc73
    Options
    i did low carb about 4 years ago and lost 80 lbs. it works but it took a while to get used to it. i tried it again to lose and couldn't do it. i had a melt down....i realized this time around, the body needs healthy carbs. i am not going to say it doesn't work because everything affects everyone differently.
    good luck in your efforts!!! stay strong
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    cycleattachedbike.png

LOL
    I'm so stealing this for facebook! :D
  • tigersword
    Options

Can't think of one credible author that has been right 100% of the time. Just because someone pointed something out in it that was inaccurate, i wouldn't say the entire thing is debunked.
    He didn't point out "something" inaccurate. The entire thing was inaccurate.
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Make sure to read through the comments, as well, Dr. Lustig shows up and he and Alan continue the discussion briefly.

I read that before, was just reading it again. His entire argument is based on "concentration" that's a petty argument if any at all. He also stated about how total calorie intake was increased not necessary carbs/sugar.

Flour and cereal product kcals increased 3%.
    Added fat kcals are up 7%,

so flour and cereal products are their own macro nutrient now?
    When did he ever state that? He broke it down the same way the USDA broke it down.

And yes, he looked at concentration, because concentration matters. Everything is toxic at too high a dose. Lusting refused to talk about dosage at all. Even when Alan flat out asked him about dosage, Lustig completely avoided the question, and insisted he was right because his video has x number of YouTube hits. Yeah, real credible guy, that one.

And you don't think it makes sense that people have gotten fat because we are consuming 600 calories a day more than we were 40 years ago, while moving much less? You really think the logical conclusion is to demonize one single, solitary molecule as the cause of the entire thing? To me that's absolutely ridiculous.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    This show is still on?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    This show is still on?

This is the song that never eeeeeeends...

orig-607401.jpg
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This show is still on?

I know, right?

tumblr_kz0zm13TVG1qzc8rmo1_250.gif
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I totally agree with you..

If I eat anything with whole grains, excess carbs, processed foods, sugar.. it causes intense cravings. I think about the next "dose" of sugar or junk food, until I can get it again.

I personally strive to follow a 90% paleo diet.. but sometimes I fail..

I've found that a carb level of 75-120 gms works best for me, and those carbs come from fruits and vegetables.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I can understand cutting out the refined carbs, but so many veggies and fruits are high in carbs - like a cup of green grapes - 27 carbs.

I cannot imagine cutting out the healthy carbs "just because". I keep my carbs under 200 - usually they are between 150-195 daily and I have lost 14 pounds since I joined here in mid february. I don't expect miracles and I have a long way to go, but I have been losing weight weekly, so I must be on the right track here.

and yes, I do partake in my granola bars!! lol

There are things that I had to cut out except very occasionally, like bananas, pineapple, etc.. any high glycemic fruits. Some people do have hormone issues (PCOS) and have to watch sugar intake.. otherwise, I do not lose.
  • mom2lakenjj
    Options
    I did the low carb thing several years back and it was amazing. The only thing I did wrong was not follow the plan on through to maintenance (where you add back nuts, fruits, legumes/beans, then whole grains) - I went back to eating the nasty junk and fast foods and of course gained the weight back after a couple years. I have started the program again and hope to make it a life long way of eating this time, as I really do much better eating this way. When I did it the first time - I had a ton more energy, no cravings, no blood sugar issues, my skin even cleared up beautifully....

And just to be clear - I'm talking low NET carbs (total carbs minus fiber). I am running on around 20 net carbs and in phase one right now, so I eat a lot of salad greens and spinach with onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc... plus a good amount of eggs and meats and fat as desired. I am on day six and my cravings are already gone (I am not even tempted by the potato chips hubby has hanging around! This....this is amazing for me), my energy level has not dipped much this time, but last time day three was my killer. After that I was golden.

I don't weigh again until Monday...but am hoping for progress. But when I did it before - just to give an idea - I lost 23 pounds in 40 days - from 156 to 133. I kept a food journal and the calories I consumed were about where they should have been to lose only a pound a week. I welcome an explaination for that... because I can eat the same cals including white flour/sugar foods and will not lose weight like I did on the low net carbs. Strange I know - the calorie math just didn't add up, but my jeans didn't lie!

I hope we both have great progress and healthy eating on the low net carb way of eating!

LOVE THIS REPLY!!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    And yes, he looked at concentration, because concentration matters. Everything is toxic at too high a dose. Lusting refused to talk about dosage at all. Even when Alan flat out asked him about dosage, Lustig completely avoided the question, and insisted he was right because his video has x number of YouTube hits. Yeah, real credible guy, that one.

And you don't think it makes sense that people have gotten fat because we are consuming 600 calories a day more than we were 40 years ago, while moving much less? You really think the logical conclusion is to demonize one single, solitary molecule as the cause of the entire thing? To me that's absolutely ridiculous.

It's a big culprit, wouldn't say it's the only culprit. As i said before no authoritative figure has been 100% right. I can sit here and lyle mcdonald a quack because one of his books is BS. Which it is. Does that strip him of all his authority?

Which one of his books is BS? And why?