Why do I feel like CRAP on low carbs?

Options

Replies

• huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

I'm in the exact same position as you, actually. That's not the point though. If you have no medical *qualification* (and it's not - that's what psychiatry is) you have no right to refer to your qualification in a misleading way when giving advice.

Heck, why not? This MFP BB is full of all kinds of "experts" that may have have gone so far as to read an online article (but usually it is that they just read something on here) or experienced something in a very unscientific way and then burp that BS out on here like proven science. I like to see trained people occasionally, whether MD or not, weigh in once in a while to cut the crap factor that is so abundant on this BB.
  • AmyLiz3
    AmyLiz3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was completely the opposite of this. When I switched to all whole grain carbs and eating fewer, my body got rid of the addiction to it and I had boundless energy. I wasn't having those highs and lows that come with high carb ways of eating. If i had to go for a longer than usual period without a meal or snack, I no longer got the shakes or got dizzy. I never felt better.
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    Having a degree in nutrition carbs are essential in weight loss. Your carbs should come from natural sources such as fruits and veggies and leave out the processed carbs such as bread, pasta, rice, cereal ect.

During your workouts especially cardio conditioning you will burn your glycogen stores first so the best way to replenish these is by a nice bowl of berries or even a glass of skim/low fat milk. People need to stop being scared of carbs - they are needed for your body to function.
  • betholiver
    Options
    bump
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It will pass....I did low carb,lost about 70 lbs and actually felt great.But its so hard to stick to long term.Not to mention gets expensive, especially with todays prices.But the crappy feeling will pass....

What makes it more expensive?
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse. My best friend is a nutritionist. Your body needs carbs. CAN yoru body produce energy from protein if it HAS to? Yes, but this is not healthy to do. This is NOT how your body likes to work. you feel crummy because your body has evolved to use carbs effieciently for energy. Your body will eat it's own muscle if it's forced to burn protein for energy. yes, you will lose weight fast, but much of that loss will be muscle loss. Eat carbs. The good ones. A quick weight loss (that will come back quickly because your body will eventually start to shut down, as will your brain, if you don't eat carbs) is NOT worth harming your health.

burning protein for energy takes a lot of body energy (hence the rapid weight loss), but it produces toxic by products that are unhealthy for you. Please do NOT do no carb diet. Up your exercise, and switch yoru carbs to the complex kind.

*smacking my head*

What toxic byproducts does it produce? What nutritional education did you as a nurse recieve? Does your best friend being a nutrtitionist give you the qualifications to give false nutriton information?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse. My best friend is a nutritionist. Your body needs carbs. CAN yoru body produce energy from protein if it HAS to? Yes, but this is not healthy to do. This is NOT how your body likes to work. you feel crummy because your body has evolved to use carbs effieciently for energy. Your body will eat it's own muscle if it's forced to burn protein for energy. yes, you will lose weight fast, but much of that loss will be muscle loss. Eat carbs. The good ones. A quick weight loss (that will come back quickly because your body will eventually start to shut down, as will your brain, if you don't eat carbs) is NOT worth harming your health.

burning protein for energy takes a lot of body energy (hence the rapid weight loss), but it produces toxic by products that are unhealthy for you. Please do NOT do no carb diet. Up your exercise, and switch yoru carbs to the complex kind.

Nothing shuts down without carbohydrates. If I don't pretend to know how to insert an IV or do the billion other things nurses do--which don't include nutritional counseling--other people shouldn't pretend to know about my profession. ARGH.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

I think this is mostly BS
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Having a degree in nutrition carbs are essential in weight loss. Your carbs should come from natural sources such as fruits and veggies and leave out the processed carbs such as bread, pasta, rice, cereal ect.

During your workouts especially cardio conditioning you will burn your glycogen stores first so the best way to replenish these is by a nice bowl of berries or even a glass of skim/low fat milk. People need to stop being scared of carbs - they are needed for your body to function.

Having a degree in exercise, sport, and health education and getting a PhD in Human Nutrition...carbs are not essential in weight loss. The average exerciser isn't going to come close to burning off ALL their glycogen stores in one workout.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I think this is mostly BS

People take one course in nutrition and everyone's an expert...sigh.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Your BRAIN does. NO carbs can cause neurological shut down.

Oh really? I'd love to know how. This is totally new science that no one else seems to have discovered.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Carbs are essential to LIFE. You can "lose weight" eating ANYTHING, as long as your expenditure of energy is less than your consumption. You could go on the "chocolate bar diet" and lose weight as long as the calories you consume are less than what you put out. I'm not talking about just weight loss. If you want a healthy body, you need carbs. You need protein. You need more carbs than protein.

Wait, you didn't get into the part about the brain shut-down. That's what I'm interested in. How soon does it shut down? After like, 12 hours of fasting? 24? 78?
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options

That is an absolute load of crap! Back up your words with something proveable because the mere fact that I am alive and functioning proves your ABSOLUTELY without a doubt WRONG, and I am sure there are hundreds of other people here too that can prove that wrong. Dietary carbs are NOT essential!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/news/20081116013502_health_news.shtml

This is really common knowledge. We learned this in first year anatomy and physiology actually.

Ohrly? I've been in school studying A&P, nutrition, exercise science, biochemistry, and skeletal muscle metabolism for about 6 years now. Definitely not common knowledge that your brain will shut down. Probably because that's totally incorrect. But since you learned this in your only A&P class that nursing students ever freaking take, please enlighten the rest of us on exactly how that might happen.
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    It will take a while, but carbs are what fuels the brain - light headed, fatigue, headaches can occur from lack of carbs, not sure about the brain shutting off!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

That is an absolute load of crap! Back up your words with something proveable because the mere fact that I am alive and functioning proves your ABSOLUTELY without a doubt WRONG, and I am sure there are hundreds of other people here too that can prove that wrong. Dietary carbs are NOT essential!

Don't you know nurses know EVERYTHING ABOUT THE WHOLE HUMAN BODY because they took an A&P class and a nutrition class in undergrad to get accepted into nursing school?