Why do I feel like CRAP on low carbs?

Options

Replies

• RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have been low carbing for about 5 weeks now (net 20 per day). It takes more than a couple of days to really tell if you are going to be able to handle It. If you are still feeling that crappy after a week you might not be able to handle it. I love it now that I'm past that part. Getting amazine results. Pounds and 3 inches in my waist lost and I'm only 4 pounds from my ultimate goal. 6
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Here's why you feel cruddy...

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html

I'm a runner, I love my carbs.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Serotonin (happy hormone) has nothing at all to do with low carb diets.....take this from a psychologist!!!
    I'd take it from a psychiatrist, maybe, but a psychologist has no medical qualifications so why would I care what a psychologist thinks?

Actually, from someone who almost finished a degree in Psychology (but at the last moment realized I would take everyones problems home with me and would get depressed myself), I am calling you out on this one.

When you getting your degree, you learn A TON of stuff about medicine. I had to know every little drug, what was in them, how they affected the different hormones in your body - etc.

Most doctors get little to no more training about FOOD and HORMONES than a Psychologist. You can take that to a bank.

Edit - The last sentence, I mean the effects on foods WITH hormones, not that doctors do not get special training in detail with hormones - obviously.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    how low are we talking? I am on a low carb (dr. perscribed diet, and my carb intake is 70-100g a day. 20?? how do you even do that?
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Here's why you feel cruddy...

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html

I'm a runner, I love my carbs.

Nice source!! :love:
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Serotonin (happy hormone) has nothing at all to do with low carb diets.....take this from a psychologist!!!
    I'd take it from a psychiatrist, maybe, but a psychologist has no medical qualifications so why would I care what a psychologist thinks?

Because a psychologist hepls a lot of people that suffer from medical disorders..ie depression due to serotonin deficiency which is certainly not due to diet low carbs...I am medically qualified as it happens as a doctor:-)
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Actually, from someone who almost finished a degree in Psychology (but at the last moment realized I would take everyones problems home with me and would get depressed myself), I am calling you out on this one.

When you getting your degree, you learn A TON of stuff about medicine. I had to know every little drug, what was in them, how they affected the different hormones in your body - etc.

Most doctors get little to no more training about FOOD and HORMONES than a Psychologist. You can take that to a bank.

Edit - The last sentence, I mean the effects on foods WITH hormones, not that doctors do not get special training in detail with hormones - obviously.
    I'm in the exact same position as you, actually. That's not the point though. If you have no medical *qualification* (and it's not - that's what psychiatry is) you have no right to refer to your qualification in a misleading way when giving advice.

I learned a lot about health/medicine when studying psychology, too, but I would never quote those studies when giving advice in a forum where people are unlikely to know the difference.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have to tell you that I did the low carb thing for about a year and was considered anorexic because carbs are your main source of energy, I felt like crap all the time but didn't want to stop for fear of gaining weight...

I would try to track calories instead, I've been doing that and I still have energy but I feel so much better because of the fact that I still get the things i need!!

Be careful whatever you decide to do though, I usually stayed under 40 carbs a day and I look at what i'm supposed to have and it's ridiculous!!
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options

Psychologists are properly qualified! My psychologist has ten degrees, a PHD and lectures in German and English (she's prettu motivated). She's awesome. And yes, she's a Doctor!

EDIT: Serotonin is directly related to mood so of course a psychologist would understand this...
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Because you're removing a good source of energy. Just make sure your carbs fit within your calories, don't try to eliminate them entirely.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Low carb's not for everyone...just like calorie counting (and by that I mean the 1200 cals that seem popular here) or low fat aren't for everyone.

I felt like crud for a few weeks when I got started (just over a year ago) but it passed and the only times I really deal with "hanger" now is during TOM or if I've eaten carbage...and then the low carb flu starts all over again. Good reason to stay on plan. LOL
  • ashleab37
    Options

Psychologists are properly qualified! My psychologist has ten degrees, a PHD and lectures in German and English (she's prettu motivated). She's awesome. And yes, she's a Doctor!

EDIT: Serotonin is directly related to mood so of course a psychologist would understand this...
    I didn't mention whether or not they'd UNDERSTAND it. They're simply not in a position to use that qualification as grounds for their opinion.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    why is everyone so anti-carb?
    Some people just have too much joy and need to remove it from their lives somehow.
  • trink68
    trink68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It will pass....I did low carb,lost about 70 lbs and actually felt great.But its so hard to stick to long term.Not to mention gets expensive, especially with todays prices.But the crappy feeling will pass....
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Your kidney may be working overtime from being in a state of ketosis. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids, and avoiding products that may damage your kidney such as alcohol, pain killers, too much red meat or fatty foods... If you still don't feel better, low-carb may not be for you.
  • luviedovie
    Options
    I've been doing the low carb/high protein thing for 14 weeks. I actually had higher energy at the beginning (maybe i was super excited to do it) and haven't experienced any crappy days. I usually intake between 70-100g of carbs. I am thrilled to lose weight, don't crave much (sometimes a croissant), which is crazy because I am a huge fan of dessert. Now when i eat something i used to enjoy like pizza, im a lot more aware of the taste and have noticed that the thoughts of what it tastes like in my head are way better than what it actually tastes like a lot of the time. So i guess ive changed the way i think about food.
    Also, I hate hearing this whole not sustainable argument. It's totally sustainable, YOU have to sustain it or else duh, no one is gonna do it for you. It's just food.

And I mean, losing 30lbs so far definitely helps me stay happy. :)
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options

I didn't mention whether or not they'd UNDERSTAND it. They're simply not in a position to use that qualification as grounds for their opinion.

Im curious as to why you would 'take it from a psychiatrist' but not a psychologist. that's all
  • WittneeT29
    WittneeT29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem so many people on these boards are "My way or the highway"???!?
    There are LOTS of ways you can lose weight. Yes, some are healthier than others. BUT... there is not one thing that works for EVERYONE. SOOOOO... Just because YOU lost weight eating high carbs or low carbs does not mean it is the ONLY way.

I see this happen in SO MANY threads. Someone asks a question and then the thread takes a turn to argue something that might actually be very individualized--and that doesn't answer the question asked! Please give advice, offer your two cents--but allow that there could be other possibilities. It's almost like talking religion in here these days--everyone seems so passionate that their way is all there is. If there was one answer and it was cut and dry, obesity rates wouldn't be so high and the diet industry wouldn't make billions! Every body is different. Some people do REALLY well on low carb, some people do not. Some people are allergic to carrots--that doesn't mean that they should tell everyone else in the world to never eat carrots because carrots don't work for them!!

So few of these actually answer the original question and stick to that. I know everyone is trying to help, but there are SOOOO many ways this weight loss thing can work.

So, to answer the original question. In my opinion, it is normal to feel bad when cutting carbs. (The OP didn't ask whether or not low carb was a good diet, so why would I even address that?!) You may get over it in a few days, or you may be a person who just does not do well on low carbs. It doesn't hurt to experiment to get the weight loss equation right for you. Good luck!
  • ashleab37
    Options

Im curious as to why you would 'take it from a psychiatrist' but not a psychologist. that's all
    A psychiatrist is medically qualified. A psychologist, while they learn some of the same stuff, is NOT medically qualified. They're a glorified counsellor.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

A psychiatrist is medically qualified. A psychologist, while they learn some of the same stuff, is NOT medically qualified. They're a glorified counsellor.

Not all doctors know what they are talking about either especially when it comes to nutrition. You are much better off addressing the arguments themselves instead of trying to appeal to authority (a type of logical fallacy, by the way).