Why do I feel like CRAP on low carbs?

Options
just started doing low carb since yesterday and I seriously felt like CRAP!! is it because my body is so used to eating alot of carbs like whole grain bread/wheat cereal/brown rice..? I am aiming for under 50 carbs and high protein with cardio to lose weight.. is this just how you feel in the beginning but eventually your body adapts?

Replies

• sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    They call it the "carb flu". Give it a few more days, you'll feel better than ever.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I tried eating low carb for about a month, & I was really moody. I ended up giving up before I killed someone & just working on eating my carbs in forms of whole grains instead.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    just started doing low carb since yesterday and I seriously felt like CRAP!! is it because my body is so used to eating alot of carbs like whole grain bread/wheat cereal/brown rice..? I am aiming for under 50 carbs and high protein with cardio to lose weight.. is this just how you feel in the beginning but eventually your body adapts?

It will take a week or two to pass. You should definitely read up on keto/induction flu and see if the symptoms are something you will be able to handle. But it will pass once your body adapts.
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    why is everyone so anti-carb? aren't healthy carbs good?!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Honestly, because you need carbs. I promise you they are not the devil.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Because low-carb is NOT a healthy way to eat. Yes, you'll lose weight more quickly, but it won't be healthy or sustainable. Your body NEEDS carbohydrates to carry out various functions, and decreased serotonin (happy hormone) production is a very common side effect of low-carb diets.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Honestly, because you need carbs. I promise you they are not the devil.

^^^^^ THIS!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Maybe stick to 100 carbs, then gradually reduce them further if its something you want to do. 50 sounds super low! X
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Because you need carbs. Go to www.eatright.org
  • RaniMerryman
    RaniMerryman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    yeah, I started the low carb thing.... did it for about 2 weeks and yes, your body freaks out like a 2 year old whose lolly you just stole. It will pass and I would suggest after 2 weeks, start adding in high fiber carbs or healthy carbs. Quinoa has become a fav of mine. Carbs actually boost Seratonin, I believe. After 2 weeks, I didn't crave the sugar or carbs though.... gl OH.... and I just read a study that said you know when you are at the right carb level for your body when you no longer crave them.... but I do think cutting them out for a couple of weeks is more like a detox....bad idea for long term
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Another thing they often call it is "hanger", you get angry because you're hungry. Similar symptoms at first, then the moodiness starts to kick in. Don't worry, you'll survive!!!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Oh someone said you "need carbs" waits for the you don't need carbs crowd.

To preempt them, your body can produce what it needs for energy from fat and protein.

You are probably feeling bad because your body has to switch it's functions to create this energy better.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I never could stick to the low carb thing for long. I was always tired, never had enough energy for the day, and just felt very irritable and "blah." I didn't get over it in any reasonable amount of time either. I did it for 3 months.

You don't have to do low carb to lose weight. Just balance your intake with protein and fats too.

EDIT: my carb intake was between 50 and 80g per day during that time.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you that you'll feel better in a week or so when your body adapts. However, when I tried it? My body never did adapt. I felt awful, gained weight and didn't sleep well, but was so exhausted.

I found that for whatever reason, my body doesn't do well on low carbs and once I added carbs back in - the weight I gained fell off, I felt better and my sleeping returned to normal.

Do what works best for YOU.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I eat high protein low carbs and haven`t noticed any crap days.

Some carbs are good I havent got a problem with them..I just find high protein helps me lose weight and makes me feel better.

Serotonin (happy hormone) has nothing at all to do with low carb diets.....take this from a psychologist!!!

High protein feeds muscles etc etc lots of threads on this.

Eating clean is more the way to go no processed foods

editing to add eat fat too!!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    How "low carb" are you going? It is normal to feel a bit bleh when you initially are reducing carbs or sugar in your diet. This eases in a week or two or three. If you are still feeling bleh and you are farther in than that, you may have cut your carbs too low.
  • nerdygirl2
    nerdygirl2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I so agree. Healthy carbs are part of a healthy diet. And yes you can lose weight with a balanced diet.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    They call it the "carb flu". Give it a few more days, you'll feel better than ever.
    You don't know that. A lot of people cannot handle low carbs. I did low carb for about 3 months when I was younger and progressively felt worse, and worse, and worse.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Serotonin (happy hormone) has nothing at all to do with low carb diets.....take this from a psychologist!!!
    I'd take it from a psychiatrist, maybe, but a psychologist has no medical qualifications so why would I care what a psychologist thinks?
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the 'low carb' diet thing.

I agree, people eat too much white enriched crap. Get that out of your diet - I will COMPLETELY support that.

However, fruits and veggies have carbs. If I eat 4 celery stalks, 1 carrot and 1 apple in a day (those are my snacks for next week) that is 44 carbs right there. No one can tell me that my fruits and veggies are bad for me. Also, I dont see the problem with whole grains in the forms of multigrain/multiseeds breads, whole wheat pasta, wheat cous cous - Etc.

I think a lot of people have the wrong idea -=shurgs=- I also do not believe it is sustainable in anyway.