Options

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    because you need carbs to function?
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    I'd take it from a psychiatrist, maybe, but a psychologist has no medical qualifications so why would I care what a psychologist thinks?

Psychologists are properly qualified! My psychologist has ten degrees, a PHD and lectures in German and English (she's prettu motivated). She's awesome. And yes, she's a Doctor!

EDIT: Serotonin is directly related to mood so of course a psychologist would understand this...
    I didn't mention whether or not they'd UNDERSTAND it. They're simply not in a position to use that qualification as grounds for their opinion.

Im curious as to why you would 'take it from a psychiatrist' but not a psychologist. that's all
    A psychiatrist is medically qualified. A psychologist, while they learn some of the same stuff, is NOT medically qualified. They're a glorified counsellor.

Not true, a 'proper psychologist is medically qualified and must have a Psy.D. (Doctor of Psychology), Ph.D., or Ed.D. unlike psychiatrists who are physicians who have a D.O. or M.D.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'd take it from a psychiatrist, maybe, but a psychologist has no medical qualifications so why would I care what a psychologist thinks?

Psychologists are properly qualified! My psychologist has ten degrees, a PHD and lectures in German and English (she's prettu motivated). She's awesome. And yes, she's a Doctor!

EDIT: Serotonin is directly related to mood so of course a psychologist would understand this...
    I didn't mention whether or not they'd UNDERSTAND it. They're simply not in a position to use that qualification as grounds for their opinion.

Im curious as to why you would 'take it from a psychiatrist' but not a psychologist. that's all
    A psychiatrist is medically qualified. A psychologist, while they learn some of the same stuff, is NOT medically qualified. They're a glorified counsellor.

Not all doctors know what they are talking about either especially when it comes to nutrition. You are much better off addressing the arguments themselves instead of trying to appeal to authority (a type of logical fallacy, by the way).
    Seeing as everyone seems a little off this morning, I'll say it again - I was simply saying that it is inappropriate for a psychologist to quote that as the reason for their opinions. A doctor can give you medical advice and say it's because they're a doctor, but a psychologist doing it is as good as me saying I know how much fuel your car will need to get from A to B because I work in IT.

The opinion is all well and good, and actually an opinion that I agree with. The point is that being a psychologist is irrelevant.
  • callmeabeast
    Options
    because carbs are your PRIMARY source of energy! you need more carbs than the other 2 macronutrients. doing low-carb diets are only a temporary weight loss. sure you may lose some weight cutting down on one macronutrient but once you lose that weight and try to go back to eating the recommended amount of carbs, fats, and protein you will gain all if not more of that weight back. carbs are good for you and you need them to function! don't cut down carbs, cut OUT crap carbs like white bread and white rice and simple sugars, keep to whole grains and complex carbs!
  • ashleab37
    Options

Not true, a 'proper psychologist is medically qualified and must have a Psy.D. (Doctor of Psychology), Ph.D., or Ed.D. unlike psychiatrists who are physicians who have a D.O. or M.D.
    A doctorate does not make you a medical doctor. You can be a doctor of almost ANYTHING. My D.C.Sc. doesn't make me a doctor, not in conversational terms.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Not all doctors know what they are talking about either especially when it comes to nutrition. You are much better off addressing the arguments themselves instead of trying to appeal to authority (a type of logical fallacy, by the way).
    Seeing as everyone seems a little off this morning, I'll say it again - I was simply saying that it is inappropriate for a psychologist to quote that as the reason for their opinions. A doctor can give you medical advice and say it's because they're a doctor, but a psychologist doing it is as good as me saying I know how much fuel your car will need to get from A to B because I work in IT.

The opinion is all well and good, and actually an opinion that I agree with. The point is that being a psychologist is irrelevant.

No need to be a snarky. You were not clear (obviously) about your original statements nor about your subsequent ones which is why people seem to be confused as to what you mean.

While I agree that one's qualifications don't necessarily mean that you should take their word for it (same point I made in my previous comment), your subsequent posts seem to indicate that a psychologist is not qualified to make a statement about anything other than their field. This is incorrect. Judge based on the information presented.

In your analogy, with enough information, you could easily tell me how much gas I need to get from A to B regardless if you work in IT or not.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    It's because carbs are your body's main form of energy. You take that away and you're gonna feel like crap!

A healthy balance of carbs, fat and protein is just the best way to go.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Here we go, another explosive debate about whether carbs are good for you or not.

tumblr_kz0zm13TVG1qzc8rmo1_250.gif

Hear that slamming sound? It's the sound of this thread being locked in 3....2....1....
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options

I agree that psychologists and psychiatrists are not as qualified as nutritionists and dietitians with regards to FOOD. However, i was merely arguing against the fact that you would 'take it from a psychiatrist' as opposed to a psychologist...both are qualified health care professionals. You seemed to think that psychologists are just 'quack' doctors when they are not...
  • ashleab37
    Options

No need to be a snarky Mc. Snarkypants. Seems like you are the one who got off on the wrong foot this morning, not us.

While I agree that one's qualifications don't necessarily mean that you should take their word for it (same point I made in my previous comment), your subsequent posts seem to indicate that a psychologist is not qualified to make a statement about anything other than their field. This is incorrect. Judge based on the information presented.

In your analogy, with enough information, you could easily tell me how much gas I need to get from A to B regardless if you work in IT or not.
    Exactly! I can TELL you that, but I can't tell you that I know that BECAUSE OF MY DEGREE.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    just started doing low carb since yesterday and I seriously felt like CRAP!! is it because my body is so used to eating alot of carbs like whole grain bread/wheat cereal/brown rice..? I am aiming for under 50 carbs and high protein with cardio to lose weight.. is this just how you feel in the beginning but eventually your body adapts?

Assuming you aren't suffering from something like PCOS, IR or something along those lines, low carb will not help you lose fat faster. There is no metabolic advantage to low carb diets, holding calories and protein constant
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

No need to be a snarky Mc. Snarkypants. Seems like you are the one who got off on the wrong foot this morning, not us.

Exactly! I can TELL you that, but I can't tell you that I know that BECAUSE OF MY DEGREE.

Ah, good. We agree :flowerforyou: I see your point now.
  • ashleab37
    Options

Ah, good. We agree :flowerforyou: I see your point now.
    :)
  • BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It took me a few days also, maybe even up to 2 weeks. But everyday was better and better. She didn't say she was going NO carb, she said under 50.
  • MinimizingMichelle
    MinimizingMichelle Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    why is everyone so anti-carb? aren't healthy carbs good?!

It's not anti-carb; it's low carb. A lot of healthy eating alternatives recommend high protein, low carb meals for weightloss. I believe the reason that people experience symptoms isn't because they're reducing their carbs from a normal amount to a lower amount, I believe it's because the average person over-eats when it comes to carbs so this becomes a more drastic reduction and the body responds.

NO carb diets are ridiculous though. Your body needs carbs (good carbs, like you pointed out) for energy.
  • MinimizingMichelle
    Options
    Because low-carb is NOT a healthy way to eat. Yes, you'll lose weight more quickly, but it won't be healthy or sustainable. Your body NEEDS carbohydrates to carry out various functions, and decreased serotonin (happy hormone) production is a very common side effect of low-carb diets.

Low-carb IS healthy if it's not an extreme minimal carb amount or no carbs at all. Even dietitians will recommend a low-carb, high-protein diet for weight loss.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the responses so sorry if I'm repeating. I did Atkins on and off for 2 years and the first 3 days I wanted to kill myself and everyone else around me after that I was ok. I did have a lot of energy, felt great, lost 65 lbs - then gained 20lbs back in 2 months right after reaching goal!! I just couldn't stick to it. I tried doing it again a few years ago and found that I had zero energy even after the first 3 days were over. If you aren't a huge carb eater and have more self discipline than I do, than you may be able to stick to it, but if you aren't going to be able to, then I say, just cut down on the carbs to a reasonable level. Because the first time you put just a little extra carbohydrate in your body you end up soooooo bloated that it feels like you've gained 10lbs in a night and the weight just piles back on VERY quick.

Whatever you do, good luck!! :smile:
  • MinimizingMichelle
    Options
    Maybe stick to 100 carbs, then gradually reduce them further if its something you want to do. 50 sounds super low! X

I agree! I'm considered "low carb" and I'm still above 100g / day. Increase your protein too! Your body needs it and people don't get enough.
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    probably a mild withdrawal is all
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    why is everyone so anti-carb? aren't healthy carbs good?!

Not anti carbs, just anti crap carbs, like flour, processed grains, sugar, rice and stuff that we have adapted to using as FILLERS....get off the crap carbs and lose....happens :)