would you help out a lady?

Options
hit up the homedepot yesterday.. bought 33 blocks, 4 bags of dirt.
so weight of my cart was over 300 pounds.
i loaded it.. and dragged it back to my car...
now my question is.. would you have asked to help load my car if you saw me (or anyone else)?
i had several men and women .. just wander by. and two smart *kitten* men comment on the fact that i was loading all that into my SUV and not a truck.
not that i can't do it.. i can.. (carried 80 pound bags of dirt to my car today)
but i would help out someone (and have) .. why is it that i can't get me any help!!

Replies

• Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    that is the problem with our society nowdays. Very few people help anyone out anymore.
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I definitly would have. That is how my parents raised me.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Where I'm from, you would have gotten help before even leaving the store. We call it the "Aloha Spirit" :flowerforyou:
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    In a heartbeat, chivalry is not dead with me!!!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Even though I am also a female, I would have offered to help you. As long as you didn't look like you wanted to kick my *kitten*.
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Of course I would have helped. Unfortunately people get more and more selfish, with the what's in it for me outlook. So sad!
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Yes in fact I would...and I did just that at Lowe's the other day. It wasn't a whole load of bricks but it was an oversized box she was trying to put in the bed a little pickup all by herself, it was bulky and she couldn't get it up.

So Yeah, I would most definately
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes, it happened to me twice this week

1. Today a woman in front of me was carrying something quite heavy so I offered to help her to the car with it and she was happy

2. I held the door open for a woman and her little girl, the cute part was when the little girl asked me " Why would you open the door for us "
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I help people with groceries etc. all the time (especially elderly). If I am able, I will certainly try my best to help someone who is in need or struggling! I so would have helped you "drag" a bag or two....LOL :smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i probably wouldnt help. sorry but i write horror screenplays and i've seen enough to NOT trust that scenario.
    i'd think if that person needed help then they would have just asked someone from the store to help, which they will if you ask
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes, it happened to me twice this week

1. Today a woman in front of me was carrying something quite heavy so I offered to help her to the car with it and she was happy

2. I held the door open for a woman and her little girl, the cute part was when the little girl asked me " Why would you open the door for us "

Of course you do - you're Canadian!! I'm Australian and I was told if you can't tell if someone's Canadian or American then "accidentally" stand on their feet. The Canadian will apologise to *you*. I've been to Canada a couple of times and went out with a Canadian for a while and you guys are all polite - keep it up!! :flowerforyou:
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you live, but here in ND, you would have had many offers of help! Sometimes I have to wrestle the grocery store guy who wants to help me. Just kidding about the wrestling, but they always offer! :-)
  • PinkiePie07
    PinkiePie07 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I always help when I can, but I'm insanely weak, soon strength training will fix that, but at the very least I would have done my best or I would have sent one of my big burly man friends to help.
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    Just as I do with the door, regardless if she wants me to or not, I open it and would have followed you to your car (NOT STALKER LIKE) and helped. The changes that our society have gone through have men in a pickle and many these days just don't bother as it's the lesser of two evils. If I help, I'm a shov, if I don't I'm a pig, you can't win. I just do it..
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I remember my motorcycle broke down on the side of the road at around midnight on a friday night. Luckily I had a clue and knew how to fix it...I was on the side of the road with bike parts everywhere working away and guarding all my parts in the dark making sure no screws were blowing away while lots of cars went by...honking and hollering cat calls at me...but no offers to help? Society is win. Luckily I figured it out and got to drive home.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I dont believe chivalry is dead but it is very rare that I ever get help when needed. Just a few weeks I had to carry a huge box full of kids toys and I had to carry it upstairs and the guy who was coming through the door didnt even hold the door and I was struggling.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from Alabama, and Southern hospitality certainly extends to this. If I didn't offer help, it would somehow make it all the way back to my grandmother and I'd rightfully have been hearing about it later.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Yes, and if I knew you in real life, offer to do the work for you!:smile:

cliche because I'm British, but I held a door open for a lady recently and got asked gruffly " did you hold that because I'm a woman?"

Err...no..because I'm polite. I hold doors open for the next person regardless of sexuality.

Also you might not get help as people think you've got it covered?:glasses:
  • MrsInmon
    MrsInmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I'm from California but have lived in Texas most of my life. Southern hospitality is big here in Texas. Everyone helps their neighbor (strangers). I went for a visit down in Cali and thought everyone was rude for not holding doors for me. Not that I'm spoiled but its just courtesy.

I am constantly helping others, I totally would of asked if you needed help
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I'm not honestly sure if I would.. just because I've tried to help someone load heavy things in to a truck before & I busted the bag of .. what ever it was all over the ground.. I'm all for helping out anyone who needs it. I just wouldn't want to be the reason they just wasted money. You know..

I always hold doors open for people, I'm from a very.. "trashy" city, so most of the time.. people walk buy with out saying a word or look at you like your an idiot.. I had one man RUN to the door while he was on the phone. Didn't nod, say thanks, or anything. He just ran.. A far distance.. to get out the door.