would you help out a lady?

Options

Replies

• ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    no questions asked I would have helped you
    was once at the home depot and this lady was trying to load about 20 bags of bagged manure in her Lexus !!! I had a truck loaded everything in it a drove to her place
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Last couple times I offered help to a lady, she got offended.
    I only help out bros now. Sorry.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would help. I think its important to help people espically if my daughter is with me. Its good to show girls that not all men are jerks.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm not honestly sure if I would.. just because I've tried to help someone load heavy things in to a truck before & I busted the bag of ..

Good point, not to mention the amount of people who would hold it against you and sue if you do something wrong these days.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I would help anyone who was in need. I'm surprised no men jumped at the opportunity to help a pretty lady like you! I have never had this issue, but then again, I live in Canada. :happy:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Honestly, because of some of the more extreme forms of feminism, I think that some guys are afraid to off help, because the woman will take it as an insult, as if she is too weak to do it herself. And, honestly, some guys are just jerks.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one at HOME DEPOT asked to help you!!! Now that's just plain bad customer service!
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    This kind of a sticky situation now and days.

You can offer to help and if damage the goods get yelled at or wanted to pay for item and cleaning of vehicle.
    You can offer to help and they fell like you are singling the person out cause they think you think they can't do it.
    You can offer to help and everything goes great.

My bigger question is where the heck was the store people at?
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i don't think it would hurt just to ask if i needed any help (and not make fun of me loading my SUV with dirt and cement blocks!). I have been dragging these blocks home for over a year (i only have enough money to buy about 30 at a time.. i just finished retaining walls and now working on a staircase..). and not once has someone offered to help.. and just today while i was carring 80 (yes i said 80) pounds of dirt to my car.. only one person offered to help.. and that was an older woman who saw me drop one of the 40 pound bags.. (wet bags.. one slipped).. the men just walked on by..
    well at least i got my work out in the last two days! i got some good arms!
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one at HOME DEPOT asked to help you!!! Now that's just plain bad customer service!

This. Sheesh!

I have to admit I probably wouldn't have helped you load up your car but I'm tiny and mostly useless in that department BUT if my husband had seen you, he definitely would have ran over and loaded it up for you.

ETA: I'm horrified that those men just walked by and made fun of you. That is awful!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I would offer to help.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    hit up the homedepot yesterday.. bought 33 blocks, 4 bags of dirt.
    so weight of my cart was over 300 pounds.
    i loaded it.. and dragged it back to my car...
    now my question is.. would you have asked to help load my car if you saw me (or anyone else)?
    i had several men and women .. just wander by. and two smart *kitten* men comment on the fact that i was loading all that into my SUV and not a truck.
    not that i can't do it.. i can.. (carried 80 pound bags of dirt to my car today)
    but i would help out someone (and have) .. why is it that i can't get me any help!!

I would have helped you. Gladly so.

Last time I had to haul 400 lbs of dirt, one of the home depot guys helped me load it.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I guess my answer would be...it depends...

I know that when I'm loading something into my vehicle, I usually have a plan to make it fit. When I accept help, generally they mess up my plan (yeah, I know, control freak!). So, if you looked like you knew what you were doing and didn't seem to be struggling I would probably walk by.

But, if you were struggling, I would probably stop to help.

I try to teach my kids to help others. Yesterday my son and I were in the store. There was an older man in one of those store scooters. As he was moving away from the crackers, the scooter knocked a bag of crackers to the floor. He backed up the scooter and was attempting to pick up the bag and probably would have gotten it but was struggling. I just looked at my son, nodded toward the man and said "go help." My nearly 14 year old son had no problems helping and probably would have done so on his own if I hadn't said anything. The man looked very relieved, probably something he wasn't expecting.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I think Chivalry is dormant not dead. Someone should have. Even my wife who has MS will help out when she can. Home Depot should have helped and I'm suprised it wasn't offered. I prefer Lowes as they always ask. Most of the time there is someone already holding your cart waiting to take it to your car at Lowes. I never accept it, but it's good to know they will help out my wife.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yeah, last time I was at the Home Depot, we couldn't get out the door without about 8 employees asking to help!
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would have helped. I do things like that all the time.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have offered to help. You're in better shape than me, and since I tend to not go to Home Depot and buy more than I can handle, I kind of assume the same of others. If you looked around like you were desparate for help, I might have told my teenager to offer, though. :laugh:
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I always offer to help in that sort of situation. Some people get freaked out, though, like I'm going to rob them.

A crazy old lady in a wheelchair tied with a million bags was crooning at people to push her the other day. I offered and ended up cruising her around downtown Mission District for like half an hour. I eventually gave her to some other dude as he was taking the train she wanted to get on. That dude did NOT volunteer and seemed a bit off-put when I handed her over, but promised to get her where she was going.

She even tried to pay me. I don't take money from crazy old ladies, though. That other dude better not have. :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Depends really on what my schedule was honestly, but most likely I would. If I was not in a major crunch for time, I definitely would. None-the-less, I most certainly would not be one of the ones criticizing what you were driving.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes, it happened to me twice this week

1. Today a woman in front of me was carrying something quite heavy so I offered to help her to the car with it and she was happy

2. I held the door open for a woman and her little girl, the cute part was when the little girl asked me " Why would you open the door for us "

Of course you do - you're Canadian!! I'm Australian and I was told if you can't tell if someone's Canadian or American then "accidentally" stand on their feet. The Canadian will apologise to *you*. I've been to Canada a couple of times and went out with a Canadian for a while and you guys are all polite - keep it up!! :flowerforyou:

This made me laugh out loud...it is so true...and yes, I am Canadian! :laugh: