Out of Curiousity, What is your resting heart rate

Options
I have been someone obsessed with my resting heart rate and now working to get my recovery heart rate recorded. If you know what yours is and or was do you mind sharing.

Your resting heart rate before implementing exercise program (mine was 72)
Your resting heart rate after exercising for a few months (today mine was 62)

I tried a recovery heart rate, but I'm not sure it is accurate because I've been running for an hour and am pretty sure I'm over my max during my runs, but 4 minutes after I ran 6 miles (1 hour 6 min) it was 72.

I feel like this is sort of a NSV in away...

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have been someone obsessed with my resting heart rate and now working to get my recovery heart rate recorded. If you know what yours is and or was do you mind sharing.

Your resting heart rate before implementing exercise program (mine was 72)
    Your resting heart rate after exercising for a few months (today mine was 62)

I tried a recovery heart rate, but I'm not sure it is accurate because I've been running for an hour and am pretty sure I'm over my max during my runs, but 4 minutes after I ran 6 miles (1 hour 6 min) it was 72.

I feel like this is sort of a NSV in away...
    My resting rate goes from around 60 to 110 depending if I'm in university or not. Apparently this stresses me out.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Mine was 74 when I first got my HRM a few months ago. It's 64 now.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've always read that a lowered resting heart rate is a sign of improved fitness. Congratulations.

I think mine was in the mid-60s the last time I checked. I'm recovering from an injury and haven't been checking. My resting heart rate has never been especially low. I don't know if there's a relationship, but my maximum heart rate is significantly higher than the one shown on the standard charts for women. I don't know what my actual maximum is because I would never work that hard unless I was being supervised in a doctor's office.

I've never kept records of my recovery rate, but it's always seemed to be good.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    mine is 49! :drinker:
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked it was 52
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Right now it's in the low 100s. I've always had a high HR despite exercising regularly for years.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Mine's lower than it has been, about low 60s, without exercise. When I exercised a lot, it seemed to be higher for some strange reason. Have no idea why!
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    When I got my HRM & set my resting heart rate it was 55.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I checked today and mine is 54 on days after i had a rest day.

Your heartrate is higher on days after you did workouts as your body is still recovering from the workouts. Its also a way to see if you are overtraining. If it doesnt go down 2 days after the workout that could be a sign of overtraining. It generally needs to go down after that initial day of higher heartrate

So like this:
    morning of workout: 55
    Day after workout: 60
    Second day after workout: 56
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

Though resting heart rates are not always indicative of overall cardiac health. They generally trend toward efficient athletes, but lower-than-average ones can sometimes just be genetic, since slower heart rates just allow more time for the ventricles to fill with blood before pumping.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have worn a monitor at night and got my heart rate to 36, but normal day to day its about 58-60
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the low 40's.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I was in the high 60s for resting before I started running. I've been pretty active with lots of distance running for about 6 years. I now run in the low 50s or sometimes high 40s.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Right now its 51.
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Mine is 74, but my husbands is in the 40's. He's been a runner since high school cross country and is quite lean and fit. He's also 6'4". I don't know if it's slower for him because the blood has to travel so much farther??
    I've been taking our heart rate with the iPhone app that uses the flash to take your pulse from your finger. Technology these days...
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    went down from 62 :)
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Right now, it's 54-64. I think it's usually in the high 50's or low 60's. It used to be consistently in the high 70's before I started working out.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    45 :)
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I have recently been learning more about this subject this site I found really explains it in a very simple format for anyone who is confused by any of this.
    Congrats to all of you for lowering your RHR and to those of you who are now on their way to an ATHLETES RHR according to the charts!! woo hoo!! :drinker:

http://www.heart.com/heart-rate-chart.html