Feeling physically sick due to sadness?

Options
13»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes. And I completely lost my appetite for two straight weeks, lived off nothing but apple cider and lost 25 pounds.

It sucks, but it does get better. Some people choose to take an antidepressant to get through the difficult part.
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    I am very sorry to read your post.....I hope that soon you will find your way back to a place in which you are happy and that you are able to smile again. Please do not let this overcome you.....unfortunately it is a part of life.....it is a learning experience....but do not let it break you in any way. Here is to better days very soon for you.....:flowerforyou:
  • centaurfilly
    Options
    This is just so strange, though. I am used to OVEReating when I am sad. I thought that it was either a cliche that people don't/can't/won't eat when they break up with someone/get broken up with.

As everyone else has said, it's pretty normal. And what you mention about overeating vs undereating, I actually go through the same thing usually! If I'm upset about something going on in my life or stressed or just having a bad day, I tend to turn to food for comfort. But I've found if the emotions are TOO overwhelmingly strong, that's when I tend to not want to eat at all (generally only breakups and deaths in the family or of friends have done this to me). Anyhow I'm so sorry you're going through this! Just know that it does get better, I've gone through my fair share of breakups :).
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are so sad....

I lost over 50 lbs when I nearly lost my daughter in an auto accident..she was in a coma and declared dead twice...brain injury and just a horrible time....for all.

My advise, take it easy on yourself, eat when you can, little bites, often and remember your brain and organs need nutrition and you are important..

be well, you are way to young and beautiful to be sad for too long ... peace out girl!
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    To Stringsnlinks,

I am so sorry to hear that. What an awful time for you and your family. Thank you for sharing with us your story so that we know that loss of appetite is normal, and the reminder that we must take care of our bodies. My heart is with you!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Absolutely normal unless it continues over a period of time (a couple of weeks or so)... At that point you would want to be evaluated for depression... However, this is unlikely... Nothing to worry about.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Hello guys, it's the day after the night before, LOL. I still have that sick, anxious, empty feeling but am a bit more upbeat today. I've been very positive about the situation but can no longer seem to cry, which is weird. I'm worried it'll hit me like a ton of bricks later, which it probably will, but oh well, all I can do is live in the moment.

I went to see him today to get some money he owes me. A very tense 3 minutes. He was relaxed and acting normal, and I was looking off into the distance and very terse with him. Ugh, when I walked away, I felt like every muscle in my body was tensed and I felt suffocated as if by a heavy blanket. Sigh.

I have managed to eat something today, feeling extremely sick at the moment, but will just stick to drinking tea and eat whenever I feel like I really need it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The grief comes in waves. Some relationships take more time to get over than others. I grieved on and off after my worst breakup for two entire years (though the appetite thing and not being able to get out of bed subsided after only a couple weeks). I would just out of nowhere have a day where I would break down in tears for no reason.

All these years later, as someone previously said, I look back and wonder what I was even thinking!