hour glass shaped girls??

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is a REALLY good thread explaining hourglasses;

(Boob and hip measurements mean nothing in the general scheme of things)

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=443180&page=4

Those photos aren't very good because of the positions the women are in. To really see the hourglass, you kind of have to stand straight on with your legs together. Otherwise, you skew the shape.

Bust and hip measurements absolutely matter. Broad shoulders just tend to be a trait of the hourglass so people mistake shoulders for the bust measurement. I think the point was also made in that thread, and accurately, that people are measuring the bust wrong. You measure around the breasts, not the band size. So while I'm 37 inches at my shoulder blades (where you measure for band size), I'm 41 inches around my bust, which is 41 to my 39 inch hips. Go look at my photos on my profile, specifically the one of me before the 5K (with the number pinned to my belly). That's what an hourglass looks like and it's not because of my shoulders.

OK, I see what she's saying about having a flat butt. That's true. You can have narrow hips with a larger rear and get the measurements for hourglass even if you're not an hourglass. But that doesn't mean the bust size is irrelevant. She didn't quite explain it accurately. Bust size matters, but so does where the fat sits on your rear. I have the flat butt/wide hips so it works on me.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

Those photos aren't very good because of the positions the women are in. To really see the hourglass, you kind of have to stand straight on with your legs together. Otherwise, you skew the shape.

Bust and hip measurements absolutely matter. Broad shoulders just tend to be a trait of the hourglass so people mistake shoulders for the bust measurement. I think the point was also made in that thread, and accurately, that people are measuring the bust wrong. You measure around the breasts, not the band size. So while I'm 37 inches at my shoulder blades (where you measure for band size), I'm 41 inches around my bust, which is 41 to my 39 inch hips. Go look at my photos on my profile, specifically the one of me before the 5K (with the number pinned to my belly). That's what an hourglass looks like and it's not because of my shoulders.

OK, I see what she's saying about having a flat butt. That's true. You can have narrow hips with a larger rear and get the measurements for hourglass even if you're not an hourglass. But that doesn't mean the bust size is irrelevant. She didn't quite explain it accurately. Bust size matters, but so does where the fat sits on your rear. I have the flat butt/wide hips so it works on me.

Yeah, you def are (nice body, by the way)

But I still don't agree on the bust thing.

Some people have the same bust measurement to hips and don't look hourglass, and some people don't, but look hourglass.

I still maintain that it's about proportions, balance and visuals, and not bust size.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Some people have the same bust measurement to hips and don't look hourglass, and some people don't, but look hourglass.

I still maintain that it's about proportions, balance and visuals, and not bust size.

Because of the waist, though. If your waist isn't small enough, you aren't hourglass. And the point about the rear end is an issue, too. If your rear is big enough to skew your waist measurement, that's an issue. I would bet all the women in those photos have the proper shoulder measurements, as well. I also question whether the measurements they claim are true.

But if you look at a broad-shouldered, small-breasted, large-hipped woman from the front (not the back), she will not appear to be hourglass-shaped. From behind, she might. But not from the front because the shoulders won't have the same effect. The hourglass figure has always been defined by bust/waist/hip ratios. The shoulder thing is a modern invention.

Thanks for the compliment. :-) Unfortunately, I've gained 10 pounds since that photo and it won't go away. Grrrr.

(And for the record, your profile photo is gorgeous!)
  • tgoodwin89
    Options
    Hello all! I'm 5'0, about 107 lbs. and my measurements are: 33-24-35.
    Would I be considered hour glass? (not that it really matters haha)

Tori
  • RainOnTheTrain
    Options
    17 years old
    5'4
    113 pounds
    Bust: 33
    Waist: 25
    Hips: 34
    Around widest part of butt: 36

I think I lean more towards a pear shape because of my small boobs
  • klynnblink182
    klynnblink182 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    31 yr old teacher

SW: 4/2012: 5'5 136 lbs, B-35, W-29, H-39

Current: 130.6 lbs, 35, 27.5, 38.8

GW by June 30!: 125lbs, 35, 26, 37

5 more lbs to go!
  • brennamurphy42
    Options
    I'll be 20 in two days, 5'10", 158lbs, and I'm pretty sure I'm an hourglass.

Bust: 36.5"
    Waist: 29"
    Hips: 36.5"
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

Because of the waist, though. If your waist isn't small enough, you aren't hourglass. And the point about the rear end is an issue, too. If your rear is big enough to skew your waist measurement, that's an issue. I would bet all the women in those photos have the proper shoulder measurements, as well. I also question whether the measurements they claim are true.

But if you look at a broad-shouldered, small-breasted, large-hipped woman from the front (not the back), she will not appear to be hourglass-shaped. From behind, she might. But not from the front because the shoulders won't have the same effect. The hourglass figure has always been defined by bust/waist/hip ratios. The shoulder thing is a modern invention.

Thanks for the compliment. :-) Unfortunately, I've gained 10 pounds since that photo and it won't go away. Grrrr.

Well, my waist is 15" smaller than my hips, so I don't think that's an issue :laugh: (29/44)

Plus, I do have a big bum, but my hips are also wide.

What I've noticed, is a lot of women in this thread claim to be hourglass because of the bust to hips measurements, but their waists aren't that much smaller than either. So perhaps that's why. So I do agree with you on the waist thing.

But for me, though. I have similar shoulders to hips (last time I checked, anyway), a 15" diff between waist and hips. When I take a picture from the back, it is more like > < than pear, because I have broad shoulders. It's just the bust that's missing. Which I'm glad about because I don't want big boobs, LOL. I feel like I'm more of a mixture between the two, but I don't claim hourglass because I don't fit the traditional criteria. I just see myself as a broad shouldered pear :laugh:

Haha, I just scrolled up and read what you wrote about the appearing hourglass from the back, thing. Hmm, I get you. I am not sure if I am more pear from the front. I may be.

I just think the measurements aren't an accurate enough way to define hourglass, though. I mean, Oprah is supposed to be an hourglass, isn't she? She looks apple as eff to me. And, I see body types like the sillouette, and having big boobs doesn't affect the sillouette unless you're standing profile. In which case, it doesn't matter. But, I still maintain it's about proportions.

Of course, if we're talking traditional definitions. You're 100% correct.

And thank you! And you're welcome :) I'm sure you carry those 10lbs well ;)
  • elyce773
    Options
    I'm either pear or hour glass now to sure. I'm 5'9 and 175 and my measurements are 39.5-30-44.5 my bottom is bigger but not by too much and it's not my hips it's my rump.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I'm either pear or hour glass now to sure. I'm 5'9 and 175 and my measurements are 39.5-30-44.5 my bottom is bigger but not by too much and it's not my hips it's my rump.
    I would say you're in between hourglass and pear. xo
  • Verity1111
    Options

Well, my waist is 15" smaller than my hips, so I don't think that's an issue :laugh: (29/44)

What I've noticed, is a lot of women in this thread claim to be hourglass because of the bust to hips measurements, but their waists aren't that much smaller than either. So perhaps that's why. So I do agree with you on the waist thing.

But for me, though. I have similar shoulders to hips (last time I checked, anyway), a 15" diff between waist and hips. When I take a picture from the back, it is more like > < than pear, because I have broad shoulders. It's just the bust that's missing. Which I'm glad about because I don't want big boobs, LOL. I feel like I'm more of a mixture between the two, but I don't claim hourglass because I don't fit the traditional criteria. I just see myself as a broad shouldered pear :laugh:

Haha, I just scrolled up and read what you wrote about the appearing hourglass from the back, thing. Hmm, I get you. I am not sure if I am more pear from the front. I may be.

I just think the measurements aren't an accurate enough way to define hourglass, though. I mean, Oprah is supposed to be an hourglass, isn't she? She looks apple as eff to me. And, I see body types like the sillouette, and having big boobs doesn't affect the sillouette unless you're standing profile. In which case, it doesn't matter. But, I still maintain it's about proportions.

You look hourglass to me, not pear.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Total hour shape here!! :)
  • Verity1111
    Options
    What is considered hour glass?

Im almost 5'7

bust 36-38d
    waist 33
    hips 41

would like to be:
    bust 36-38d
    waist 27-29
    hips 39-40

what weight got you under a 30 inch waist? anyone? :)
    When I worked out in high school I started around 39(36B)-32-42 at maybe 165lbs? I worked out on the treadmill mostly and the elliptical, bike, as well as bench press with my legs (about 100lbs to start and worked my way up). I was 145 within about two months and my measurements were 39(36B)-27-40/41 I can't remember if it was 40 or 41 for the hips to be honest with you :]
    P.S.
    I was 181 a few weeks ago and I measured 44.5-34-44.5 so I don't know how people were 180 with a tiny waist..unless they have an extremely large toosh and hips and breasts lol OR it could be since I have a large face that my measurements stay large because I am skinny when I'm 145lbs. Well anyways I am an average sized person in the toosh, my hips are large and my breasts are 36D/36DD.

I am 184lbs with a 31.5" waist. I started out at 196lbs with a 36" waist. It is entirely possible, just depends how your body shape is and where you lose weight/inches from first. My stomach is the first to trim down and, thus, so is my waist.
    large face -_- I meant "frame" lol I see. My tummy trims first too. I don't know how that works. lol. I'm sure it also depends on body composition and genetics.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    39-40" bust
    32-33" waist
    43" hips

I'm 5'10" though so sorry, on the tall side. There's a curvy hourglass lady hiding within me, just have to tease her out and flaunt it. I'm currently at 176.4 lbs. I'm jealous of the couple ladies that say their tummies trim up first, always the last place on me!
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5' 3" hourglass figure!
    Bust 39"
    Waist 30"
    Hips 44"
    CW 186lbs
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    if barbie were a real woman her measurements would be 36-18-33 she would be 5' 9" and would not have a high enough body fat percentage to menstruate. i thought that was interesting.

^ I am glad you posted this interesting point. Thanks
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I USED to be an hour-glass; at 135 pounds, my measurements were 36-22-38. I was 21 at the time (and 5 foot 1 1/2).

Now I'm 52, weigh 242 - and I'm a DUMPLING. :laugh:
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options

^ I looked at your pictures. To me, you look like an hourglass, especially the one in the superman shirt. That is just MO. I am a pear and our body shape is very different. You have a great shape.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

You look hourglass to me, not pear.

^ I looked at your pictures. To me, you look like an hourglass, especially the one in the superman shirt. That is just MO. I am a pear and our body shape is very different. You have a great shape.

Thank you, I agree with you both, but I still just say I'm a wide-shouldered pair because the traditional definition seems outdated to me, but it's the one people use. *shrug*, who knows?

I'm glad I'm so balanced. though.

598457_4942092870549_1346746511_n.jpg