I am a runner damn it!!! Rant

Options

Replies

• wyangel
    wyangel Posts: 36
    Options
    Jeff Galloway (famed runner/author) put on FB this morning that the Boston Marathon officials even recommended even seasoned runners walk/run the course. It's what Jeff has been saying all along. Jeff advocates a run/walk program, and he's a well-respected runner himself. He came out with one of the first books on running 'back in the day'.

Just keep moving and that's what's important. People say stupid stuff like that to make themselves feel better about their pathetic little lives, when they should be encouraging you. Keep going!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    When people learn that I do run/walk cycles, they act as if I am cheating, not a real runner and ask me when I will run “for real”.

Well, darn it.... So, if I have completed 5 half marathons doing the run/walk method, does that mean I have to return all my finisher medals??

Yes !!! You half marathon cheater!!!!:bigsmile:
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    That's funny because I recently ran a half marathon and still don't consider myself a runner... mostly because I am only rarely in the mood to run and because I'm still pretty slow.

I am NOT a runner, damn it!
  • tngfordisney
    Options
    I think the people who say you are not a runner say it to make themselves feel like their part of a special group. They must have nothing else to hold on to. I wish i could run.
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    “If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”
    ― John Bingham

^^^ YESSS!!! THIS!!!

Awesome quote...sums it up perfectly!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Love it. Thank you
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    When I first finished C25K, I felt like I failed if I walked at all during a run. It took me a few months to get over that. Now, if I need to walk a little to get my heart rate out of the 90 - 100% zone, or walk up a hill, who cares!!!!! My overall pace ends up the same anyway. Plus, I read up on Jeff Galloway's methods, which includes walking segments - even in marathons.

I ran my first 5K a couple weeks ago, and there was a guy that was run/walking. I would pass him when he was walking, and then he would pass me when he was running. Then I didn't see him for a little while. But, guess who came sprinting past me at the finish line?!!
  • Justapartyofone
    Options
    A lot of marathoners actually incorporate run/walk intervals into their race plan.
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    You are a runner! I so get where you are coming from---keep doing what you are doing!
  • AngieJoy81
    AngieJoy81 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It took me over 2 hours but I made it 10 miles yesterday! I don't care how slow I go, I feel like I've accomplished a goal. In 2003 I ran a marathon using the Galloway method and was so proud! (not to mention I passed a lot of " real runners" who lost steam by mile 18)
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you lace up the shoes and get the legs pumping, you're a runner. Every genre of athlete has the "elitists" with their elitist attitude and to those folks, I say eff off. Running is more of a lifestyle than anything else, dont ever let anyone convince you of anything else. Keep up the hard work!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, unless you do it in a competitive environment, you're not any thing.

i swim, bike, and run, but until i actually compete in a triathlon, i can't call myself a triathlete.

i would take my Mustang to the local race track and compete against other drivers all the time. my brother would say he's a racer too. i would tell him he isn't, because speeding down the highway in your Jetta isn't racing.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I ran my last 5k a week or so ago at 267lbs, I didnt break any speed records, but I didnt finish last and I finished it..

I am a runner!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i managed to alternate 7min.walking with 7min.running for almost 3.5miles. It was an insanely awesome moment
    I FELT LIKE A RUNNER!!!!!!!

I hate athletic elitism. People judge and tend to be mean. I like to steer clear of ppl and convos like that.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, unless you do it in a competitive environment, you're not any thing.

i swim, bike, and run, but until i actually compete in a triathlon, i can't call myself a triathlete.

i would take my Mustang to the local race track and compete against other drivers all the time. my brother would say he's a racer too. i would tell him he isn't, because speeding down the highway in your Jetta isn't racing.

But running can be an activity/exercise not a sport.. they arent calling themself a marathoner if they never finished one.. but getting out and running makes you a runner
  • helenmc40
    helenmc40 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You are a runner and a damn fine one!! I strongly believe in the running intervals, that is how I run too!! Right now I am running for 7-8mins and walking for 1 min!!

Stay true to yourself!!
  • helenmc40
    helenmc40 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    100% true Dat!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I used to run every day years ago. Not far, 3 miles a day on any day that weather permitted. I am getting back into it now for a 5k I registered for in June, and I've been using the C25k to get back into it. But I must say that I too have found that I much prefer doing intervals. I have to run now to prepare for the race, but after that I think I'll go back to intervals.

And I've found that I can cover the same distance in the same amount of time with intervals as I can running non-stop because I run faster when I do run.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I migrated from the Runner's World forums to here was the fact that they'd say things like you haven't run a Marathon if you had to take walk breaks, and anything slower than 10 minutes miles isn't worth lacing your trainers up for :explode:

Good reason for me not to go check out runner's world.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I run, I hate it but I do run. I run on my treadmill between November and March because of winter and I run outside whenever I can. Usually I run twice a week and will indulge in a slow long run once every 2 weeks ends.

I run intervals and I have no intention to run “for real”. I like running intervals; I have no plan of running a marathon and couldn’t care less about PR. When people learn that I do run/walk cycles, they act as if I am cheating, not a real runner and ask me when I will run “for real”. It sting when runner ask me that but it makes me want to punch puppies when someone who’s only fitness program is to walk from the puter to the fridge.

I am a runner damn it , not a jogger, not a walker, not a cheater.

A friend of mine read a book by a running coach who actually recommended the run/walk cycles. She does them and she ran her very first ever 5K in under 30 minutes and ran a 10K a couple weeks ago in 40.

I've run a few 5Ks and nearly everyone there walked at some point.