I am a runner damn it!!! Rant

Options

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I run, I hate it but I do run.

I'll play devil's advocate - you have to love it to be a runner. Maybe you wouldn't be so defensive if you loved it. I do Yoga 1x per week, I do it to make me a better runner, it doesn't make me a Yogi, it makes me a runner who does yoga.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options

I'll play devil's advocate - you have to love it to be a runner. Maybe you wouldn't be so defensive if you loved it. I do Yoga 1x per week, I do it to make me a better runner, it doesn't make me a Yogi, it makes me a runner who does yoga.

THIS
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

LOL I really do not enjoy cardio. I love lifting heavy. So satisfying!!! but I believe cardio is good for my heart and since my mom and grand mother had their heart attack at 45, I do it still like I do my taxes. I don't have to like it but I have to do it.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love this topic! I am in the exact same place as you are OP. I struggle and sometimes think I will never be able to run a full 5k with out walk intervals...then I think what is the worst thing in that! I am not the only one like that, and at least I am out there moving and trying...not sitting on a couch judging!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying my treadmill intervals as of late... it's strangely.... relaxing. Last time I was done with a 30 minute bout, hopped off looking all frazzled, sweaty, red-faced, went to refill my water bottle, and one of the trainers walked by and said "Great work!"
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner. I run races consistently, I have training plans, I have tech clothes, and I have a running log. I also run at a 13+ pace. Try and tell me I'm not a run. I guarantee I'm more educated in running than most.

Screw them. REAL runners are just happy you're out there making an effort.
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love this post and couldn't agree more. I hope you eventually learn to enjoy running, though. I have been doing c25k because I have always wanted to get into running. I'm only on week 2, but I already look forward to the "jogging" part. My heart actually speeds up just at the anticipation!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

LOL I really do not enjoy cardio. I love lifting heavy. So satisfying!!! but I believe cardio is good for my heart and since my mom and grand mother had their heart attack at 45, I do it still like I do my taxes. I don't have to like it but I have to do it.

I kind of understand what they're saying though. I cook dinner, but I don't put my all into it, so I'm not a chef. I tend to my yard, but I'm not a gardener. I LOVE to run, I am a runner. Kind of a mentality thing. Speed and ability doesn't make you a runner - mentality does.
  • k80mac
    k80mac Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    http://healthy-chicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/runner.jpg

hopefully you can see that.

if you run, you're a runner. period.
  • bmoregan
    bmoregan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to run non-stop. Then I picked up a heart-monitor/watch combo at an Airport. I wore it on my next run.
    SHOCK! My heart-rate was well into the "danger" zone.
    And I'd been doing it for some time, too.

So now I run-walk. 10k is just fine. Usually I try to beat an hour, but usually I fail.
    Works for me... and my heart.

Aside: There's an ex-World cross-country champion that runs in the same park as I do. She appears to just float. I'm sure she could run a 2h30m marathon. Good for her. We're clearly meant for different running strategies.
    Well, Vive la difference!
  • drezha
    drezha Posts: 18
    Options
    I saw someone here say it's personal - to me that hits the nail on the head to me. I couldn'tt care how you run or cycle - I've seen guys out on junker bikes that can tear me up (and yes, I'm a lycra clad cyclist with most of the kit!)

To me, if I have to walk when out running, I've failed. That's how I view it for me. I've only recently started running so I'm in no position to criticise anyone else and how they want to run - it's all personal.

Though as someone else has pointed out about yoga and running - I'd class myself as a cyclist (it's what the sport I enjoy doing the most, it's something I'm looking at taking more seriously - i.e. sportives to start then possibly some time trials) though I can now run 10Km - I wouldn't call myself a runner.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

I kind of understand what they're saying though. I cook dinner, but I don't put my all into it, so I'm not a chef. I tend to my yard, but I'm not a gardener. I LOVE to run, I am a runner. Kind of a mentality thing. Speed and ability doesn't make you a runner - mentality does.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I get up the couch, put on my running shoes, HRM, Camel pack and I go for a 5-10K. I am a runner.
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Anyone who gets out and "runs" even as little as a block, on a consistent basis is a RUNNER! I don't care who says different!!
    You go girl!!!!
    :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wow, so even if my speed 'techinically" is a fast walk on MFP but I am doing what I consider a run, i'm a runner???? WHOOOO FLIPPPIN' HOOOOO.

I AM A RUNNER!

The difference between running and walking has nothing to do with speed. When walking, the foward foot touches the ground before the back foot leaves the ground.
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    No punching puppies! Your a runner, your a runner!!! LOL :smokin:
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Running!!!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've run 2 marathons and plan to run two more this year, I do them by run walking and I AM RUNNER!
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    you get your run on gurl! studies show that sprint intervals are just as good if not better than jogging constantly. as a matter of fact, straight running temporarily weakens your immune systems and makes you lose muscles, whereas sprint intervals builds muscle and burns more fat. Let haters know!
  • ahulse23
    ahulse23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this too. I've been doing the C25K and found myself correcting myself when I say I went running or jogging. I'd stop and say "jog/walk", but I will stop doing that. I like the intervals and have been surprised at how much I like jogging. I was intimidated at first, especially seeing all the runners in my community, but now I'm right there with them. I have a great friend to exercise with who keeps me motivated. This post and the replies have also been really uplifting.
  • happypath101
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I've been thinking about running and for inexplicable reasons, it's VERY hard for me. But, I play a lot of team sports which are endless sprints and runs up and down a field. I've joked for years that I can run as long as I'm chasing a child or a ball. LOL! But, why is it so hard to get outside onto a beautiful trail and run?

One strategy is that I gave myself permission to just move - if I feel like running, I run; if I feel like jogging, I jog; if I feel like walking; I walk. I recently found out that if I walk for about an hour at a brisk pace, then I can run for about 30 minutes straight. Weird?! I don't know. I need a LONG warm-up. I need to time to get into the right head-space? I have no clue. But, I'm trying to just accept this about myself and never worry about that other person on the trail that didn't see me run, or that only saw me run for a minute. It doesn't matter. What matters is that I exercise and I enjoy my exercise.